Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Boston qualification question
Quote | Reply
Now that I am an old fart and despite not having run a stand alone road marathon since 1987 I want to qualify for Boston next year.

I have mostly been racing SwimRun races the last couple years but ran a hilly road half in December in 1:36:40 and a 5k just recently in 18:55. I just turned 53, but as a 54 year old next year in Boston I need to likely run 3:25 to get a slot (BQ time is 3:30 for M50-54).

I think that is doable for me but when do I have to run the qualification race to get in 2019? Is there a cut off? And if I qualify later will I get 3:35 as a target?

Apparently 2019 qualification started September 2017. But when does it end?

http://www.baa.org/...tion/qualifying.aspx
Last edited by: Herbert: Apr 17, 18 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“To enter the 2019 race, a Boston-qualifying time must have been run on or after September 16, 2017. The qualifying period will remain open until the conclusion of registration.”
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But what is that day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year it was sept 11th so close to that date
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I understand what you are asking, last year registration completely closed on September 20th at 5pm. I think they open and close registration as needed until the race is completely full.

Last year the opened registration on September 11th for anyone who met the standard by 20 minutes or more. 2 days later registration was opened for the next slower tier, 2 days after that the next slower tier was allowed to register, and September 16th they closed registration. They reopened on September 18th for anyone that met the qualifying standard and on September 20th the closed registration completely.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/athlete-registration.aspx
Last edited by: FuzzyRunner: Apr 17, 18 18:16
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it would be September 11/12 this year to get into Boston 2019, and after that day to get into Boston 2020?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is exactly it. So If I run a November race in Richmond, that would qualify me for Boston 2020. :-)

FuzzyRunner wrote:
If I understand what you are asking, last year registration completely closed on September 20th at 5pm. I think they open and close registration as needed until the race is completely full.

Last year the opened registration on September 11th for anyone who met the standard by 20 minutes or more. 2 days later registration was opened for the next slower tier, 2 days after that the next slower tier was allowed to register, and September 16th they closed registration. They reopened on September 18th for anyone that met the qualifying standard and on September 20th the closed registration completely.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/athlete-registration.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
That is exactly it. So If I run a November race in Richmond, that would qualify me for Boston 2020. :-)

FuzzyRunner wrote:

Also, the standard is based on your age the date of the actual race. So if you run Richmond in Nov of 2019 and you would be 55 by race day 2020, you would have a little more cushion.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogchili94 wrote:
Herbert wrote:

FuzzyRunner wrote:

Also, the standard is based on your age the date of the actual race. So if you run Richmond in Nov of 2019 and you would be 55 by race day 2020, you would have a little more cushion.

As noted above, you can apply for 2 years with races done in the late fall. So your application using a qualifying race in November of 2019 would be good for 2020 AND 2021-and based on your age on race day that year. (USAT rules do not apply).
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My birthday is on April 13 - thus usually right before the race :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
My birthday is on April 13 - thus usually right before the race :-)

So this whole thread was started so someone would wish you happy birthday???

Happy Birthday!
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha. The other question is - would I make the cut? My Garmin thinks so. It predicts 3:19:08
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification question [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably the last weekend you can be certain will qualify you for 2019 is Sept. 8/9 of 2018.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert, if you put the work in, you will qualify based on your ability to run a 18:55 5K and a hilly 13.1 at 1:36. I ran a 3:25 at Wrightsville Beach to qualify for Boston 2 years ago with 20:40 5K and 1:37 flat 13.1 PRs. The key is to put down the marathon training work.
Tim Shea

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Ha ha. The other question is - would I make the cut? My Garmin thinks so. It predicts 3:19:08

Based on above (your 5km time), if you train properly (for 4-5 months) you’re closer to sub 3:10.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not exactly. You can only use a qualifying time once. No double dipping anymore. This was specifically removed when they redid the times back in 2010 or so.

B
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That 18:55 hurt me and I was out for a couple weeks after. Maybe I should no longer run 6 minute mile pace. But I should be able to run 7:30 for a long time. Likely would have to run 7:40 the first half and then push harder the second half.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
Not exactly. You can only use a qualifying time once. No double dipping anymore. This was specifically removed when they redid the times back in 2010 or so.

B

I stand corrected. I ran Boston in 2004 and 2008 and switched over to triathlon after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IL2tri wrote:
Herbert, if you put the work in, you will qualify based on your ability to run a 18:55 5K and a hilly 13.1 at 1:36. I ran a 3:25 at Wrightsville Beach to qualify for Boston 2 years ago with 20:40 5K and 1:37 flat 13.1 PRs. The key is to put down the marathon training work.
Tim Shea

I absolutely wholeheartedly agree with this. He certainly has the speed and projected Vdot to achieve his qualifying time. The key is definitely getting in the volume training to hit the time goal needed. This takes months to years, of course, and begets lots of commentary

When I qualified, my 5K time was around 19 minutes and my fastest half marathon was around 140. I needed a 320, and made it by six seconds. He doesn’t even need that kind of speed.

In my second attempt, I ran a 316 qualifier marathon and still didn’t run a faster 5K or half marathon. But I did better with medium long runs and long runs in training And increased my weekly mileage to 60 miles a week.
Last edited by: dtoce: Apr 18, 18 6:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
That 18:55 hurt me and I was out for a couple weeks after. Maybe I should no longer run 6 minute mile pace. But I should be able to run 7:30 for a long time. Likely would have to run 7:40 the first half and then push harder the second half.

That's a good plan for Richmond - most of the uphill is in the first 1/2. Definitely set up for a negative split if you're smart in the first 15 miles or so.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For about 100 individual outcomes we look at 5km time and then add a zero, ie if you are 19 flat that is 190 minutes or 3:10.

18 flat is flirting with sub 3.

Keeping in mind that is the time you need 12 weeks out with good mileage....then specific for 12.

Side note (personal opinion) 5km speed is a contra indicator once you cross over from general mileage to specific.

You’ll get BQ no problem, question is PB etc.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
For about 100 individual outcomes we look at 5km time and then add a zero, ie if you are 19 flat that is 190 minutes or 3:10.

Keeping in mind that is the time you need 12 weeks out with good mileage....then specific for 12.

Side note (personal opinion) 5km speed is a contra indicator once you cross over from general mileage to specific.

Maurice

My 5k pr is 16:59, so 17. Add a zerp is 170 which is 2:50. I ran 2:39.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before this Half in December I mostly ran on trails and the treadmill. My plan is to do some progressive runs and continue with trail running. On our technical SwimRun course here the 14.6 miles take at around 3 hours and I think that counts easily for a 20 mile road run. So far I have run 460 miles this year , and either way I do not see myself running any run longer than 17 or 18 miles prior to the marathon. Plus I like to split up runs. IE 4 miles in the morning and 5 miles a bit later
Quote Reply
Re: Boston qualification [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

Maurice

Talking generally and also 12 weeks out...also important to understand that NOT talking pb, for most no way in hell do you get a 2:39 off of a 17 5km...at least within a specific window.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

Maurice

Talking generally and also 12 weeks out...also important to understand that NOT talking pb, for most no way in hell do you get a 2:39 off of a 17 5km...at least within a specific window.

Maurice

I don't think your rule of thumb is all that accurate, and neither does Jack Daniels or other coaches.

Jack Daniels has a 17:00 5k as equivalent to a 2:43 marathon. 18:00 as 2:52 and 19 as 3:01.

Most people don't train equivalently though especially triathletes since most triathletes hate running and thus are poor at it relative to other things. I pure runner who trains properly would destroy your rule of thumb numbers, like me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next