Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I carry a handheld water bottle for the first ten k, and stay in the middle of the road....much safer that way!
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wet and raw with 20 mph headwinds, heaviest rain mid afternoon so the back of the pack folks are in for a rough day. I agree with Nate's suggestion about throwaway gear, I'd even bring some trash bags to wear and also sit in beforehand to help stay dry (I did this for my first one where it rained that year). It's a great race, enjoy!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you from the area brian? If so any advice in viewing the race and possibly getting to the start for a spectator? Is uber the best way?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm just north of the city. Been a few years since I last ran Boston, Uber could get you out to the start but they may have to drop you off quite a ways from Hopkinson Green as they restrict traffic in the area. There is an office park right off I-495 where they have shuttle buses but even then you can expect a huge back getting off the highway to get there.

Best bet from a spectator standpoint is using the T. B train on the Green Line gets you out to BC/Beacon St around mile 21, can also also take the commuter rail out to Framingham around mile 7. It is tough with a point-to-point race like this seeing someone multiple times - another option is to get an Uber out to Wellesley (ask for St Paul's church, which is just after the 1/2). They should be able to come up Rt 135 through Needham and drop you behind the church, and then when you are ready to head to the finish get back into the city and get dropped off downtown somewhere away from the race course (ask for 60 State St - there's an Orange Line stop right there) and then take the Orange Line to Back Bay Station and you are right behind the finish line where the med tents are (Copley station of Green Line is closed on race day).

Hope this helps, have fun and stay dry/warm!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. My gf wants to get out to support on the course. She has a few different options and yes i have suggested she just stay dry and warm in the room but she is adament that isnt an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the easier/more popular options is to ride the D line to spectate at the Woodlawn T stop in Newton around mile 16-17 and then hop back on the T to get to the finish.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raining harder here than expected for this time of day, folks are definitely going to earn their finish medals today. Good luck to all!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a bad feeling about this

Good luck to all the runners, volunteers and support people

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NBC Sports coverage is now live. Looks like an epic day.

Best of luck to all the runners.

Back in my army days we uses to say "If it ain't raining, then it ain't training!!".... This will certainly be one to talk about for years to come.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the only time I've seen anyone run Boston in soaking rain, was in Saint Ralph

Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first year I did it (1988) had steady rain but temps in the low 60s, so it was bearable. Nothing like today with the cold, wind and downpours though. I did Hyannis in 2009 in freezing rain but there was only one stretch of wind along Craigville Beach for about a mile that absolutely sucked, yet that is what people today are going to have to deal with the whole route. Hope everyone makes it through OK.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess this is the race day thread too?! Epic conditions.. Really putting the runners toughness on display, it's great to see!

Hughes props to Desiree (sp?) who dropped back to pull Flanagan back up to the pack after a quick porty stop! Now Dess is off the group but Flanagan is still in the hunt.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Women's race just got very interesting. The conditions have made this race extremely tactical. Des is back.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [Fr.Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMAZING! Love the grit Des is showing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife is running today. Her 2nd Boston. She has trained well & did real well in a 13.1 a couple of weeks ago. Her coach was hoping she would BQ for 2019 at todays race.
That feat will be difficult due to todays conditions.

Good luck to all the athletes, many thanks to the volunteers & Boston area residents.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [Blmgtnbkr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race goes a couple blocks from my house, just went out to try and watch the elite women go buy. Lasted less than 10min and it just started pouring. What a nightmare for these runners, yuck.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [Fr.Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tracker shows Daska 15 seconds off the front heading into the hills, if she’s really tryin to attack over the hills that’s pretty awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the men... Rupp has been so smart so far, but is he running as "easy" as the other elites!? Time will tell... Really enjoying this year's races!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO DES!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird seeing the lead men go through the Newton Hills with hardly anyone out there watching. Crowd is usually 4-5 deep at that point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, stark contrast to last year! My bro was there last year watching and was looking for shade, so he didn't get burned!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This TV coverage is brutally bad. Commentators who know little about running, refusing to show us anyone other than the person in first.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time each of us chooses to go out and run on a cold, rainy, windy morning we have something new to dream about! If I was running Boston today, I certainly wouldn't have wished for these conditions, but as a spectator what an inspiring and surprising race. So happy for Des Linden.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 16, 18 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the next time someone complains about having a full time job and mixing in training?? How about that Kawauchi, aka Citizen Runner!!!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Raceweek [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finish this quote: “There's no such thing as bad weather ..."

"... just soft people." - Bowerman
"... only unsuitable clothing.” - Alfred Wainwright
"... only different kinds of good weather." - John Ruskin

Quote Reply