Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bone conduction headphones
Quote | Reply
Anyone using them? Pros/cons?
Interesting concept. Could be a way to listen to tunes during Ironman.

Thanks,

Rick

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the Ironman rules distinguish between in ear headphones and bone conducting, at least as of yet. In other words, both are definitely against the rules, and rightfully so in my opinion.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rules pretty clearly state that the headphones may not be in the ear. Don’t know why they would distinguish that.
I’m less interested in using them for racing, but rather for training. Curious what the slowtwitch brain trust has to say about the concept.

Cheers,

Rick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Section 6.02 ILLEGAL EQUIPMENT
(a) Headsets or headphones are prohibited during the run segment of the Race. (1:00 Minute
Penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly)

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aftershokz hands down. Can hear the music and the outside at same time. Can’t say enough good about them for that reason. No idea on if legal for races though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pros:
You can hear ambient noise (or can add earplugs if you want to block ambient out).
Great for swimming (no issues with water getting in the ears causing the sound to drop out).
MP3 or Bluetooth options (though not both in one)

Cons:
Expensive
Fewer options (basically aftershox)
Some sound leakage (folks next to you on the subway can softly hear your music)
Sound quality. Fine for working out, but aren't going to replace your Bose headphones.

I have a pair of the waterproof AfterShox MP3 ones on my gift list. It's a nice step up from the various wired MP3 players I've been using during swims.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strtezbckoff wrote:

Thanks,

Rick

As other said, definitely won't be legal in Ironman. As an aside, I would ask people how loud the wind is when they are running and cycling, and how loud swimming is actually underwater. We don't give it a lot of thought but I bet if you thought about it you would say that it is pretty loud, especially biking in certain directions in relation to the wind. There are a lot of people who rave about bone conduction headphones but IMHO the sound quality isn't great and with the external noise you may just end up listening at unsafe levels. As someone who has used bone conduction for 14 years in the pool, they work best with ear plugs, which when biking and running you are just back to square one. I really don't get it.

What we need is someone to invent noise-cancelling headphones that don't block out voices nor the sound of cars, bikes etc. Actually, if they could actually enhance those sounds that is the best route.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Aftershokz on the treadmill but I'm using them for distraction and not sound quality.

They work better than most other headphones I've used. I recently got a pair for $75 at REI, I don't think they're that expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all.
I was reading from the athlete guide for IMAZ, and that’s where rule number 3 for the run course specifically says “ no in the ear, or covering of the ears” for headsets.
But that’s not really what I wanted to talk about for the thread. I have a bit of hearing loss, plus seem to never quite get a good pair of headphones. Aftershokz seem a good concept.
I might just pick some up.
Merry Xmas.

Rick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the aftershokz to listen to podcasts while on long rides. They are really good as you can still hear the ambient noise.

If it is windy you will struggle to hear the aftershkoz. I wear an ear wrap/headband when cycling to stop sweat and sunburn. I find that the ear wrap stops enough of the wind noise so that I can listen to podcasts in most wind conditions.

The batteries last ~6 hours so will last for most of my long rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strtezbckoff wrote:
Thanks, all.

I was reading from the athlete guide for IMAZ, and that’s where rule number 3 for the run course specifically says “ no in the ear, or covering of the ears” for headsets.
But that’s not really what I wanted to talk about for the thread. I have a bit of hearing loss, plus seem to never quite get a good pair of headphones. Aftershokz seem a good concept.
I might just pick some up.
Merry Xmas.

Rick

I think you got a lot of Ironman responses because the specific use-case you asked about was in regards to Ironman. You didn't say in training, you said Ironman.

And because I am interested in hearing, hearing loss, and perceived hearing, I would be curious why if you have hearing loss you would want bone conduction. It would seem you should want the headphones that allow you to listen at the lowest decibel level while still being able to hear clearly. If that is the case, I can't see how bone conduction would be the winner given those requirements. Frankly, it would seem counterproductive.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Dec 18, 19 19:08
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Quote:
Section 6.02 ILLEGAL EQUIPMENT
(a) Headsets or headphones are prohibited during the run segment of the Race. (1:00 Minute
Penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly)

Why do people always want to break this rule? Like...just don't do it. Not hard.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
If it is windy you will struggle to hear the aftershkoz. I wear an ear wrap/headband when cycling to stop sweat and sunburn. I find that the ear wrap stops enough of the wind noise so that I can listen to podcasts in most wind conditions.

You have a specific ear wrap/headband you use? Also, does it get hot?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s all fair. I think in the interest of brevity, I simply mentioned the Ironman connection vs. the training aspect.
I am trying to educate myself on best options for a combination of protecting my hearing, and enjoying music during my training. 30 plus years in aviation has damaged my hearing, for sure.
My hope was that with bone conduction, I may not need the volume as high to adequately hear music. In ear headphones tend not to seal well enough, and those that cover the whole ear don’t cut it with a high sweat rate, much less the idea of swimming with them. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to work the way I wanted.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Rick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked the concept and based on ST reviews ordered a pair, but they weren't for me. Just listed them in the classifieds though!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

EDIT: SOLD!
Last edited by: brando: Dec 19, 19 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using my airs for running only and they have been great. The newer models are suppose to have advantages. One is better sound and the other is total waterproofed for swimming. I downloaded personal and amazon prime music to my Garmin 945 and just go running. I have been very happy ITC them. FYI, Blue cross blue shield (blue365) has them for 16% off right now. They had a program around Black Friday/ cyber Monday for a buy one get a refurbished one for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

You have a specific ear wrap/headband you use? Also, does it get hot?

I have a buff headband and an Ironman headband. They are both quite thin, but still block most of the wind noise. I do not think that they make me hotter. They do reduce the sweat on my face, stop my ears from getting sun burnt and provide some sun protection for the back of my neck. Sun protection is important for me as I do my long cycles in Australia.
http://www.buffwear.com/...aw19-headband-dryflx
https://www.ironmanstore.com/...nt-compress-headband
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had thought that bone conduction head phones would not damage your hearing. Comments on this page caused me to do some research. They can cause damage.

Can Bone Conduction Headphones Cause Hearing Loss?
Bone conduction headphones can’t cause hearing loss through ear drum damage but can harm the inner ear (Cochlea) injury if abused.
So, you don’t have to worry about external and middle ear damage but if used for too long at too high “volume” you can damage your Cochlea.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using Aftershokz on the trainer for about 3 years and they are the perfect solution. It's like being in a room with a stereo playing. You can hear the ambient noise of the trainer and if your wife comes in and asks you a question you can still hear. (although that is not necessarily a good thing).

They get my vote for sure. I'm not sure i'd wear them outside, although I am confident they'd work fine, purely because I've never understood why the hell anyone would want or need music while they run or ride outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone conduction headphones [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beaker wrote:
Aftershokz hands down. Can hear the music and the outside at same time. Can’t say enough good about them for that reason. No idea on if legal for races though

Exactly, I use all the time for training. They are spot on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just got a cheap Alieexpress version (Z8 is the type, about 20 euro/25 dollar). It works like a charm. I only use it when I commute to work (1 hour - 75 minutes) and on the trainer (can hear the zwift noises from my laptop/tv en use the bone conducting headphone to listen to music or a podcast.

Wouldn't use it in competions because a) most of the time not allowed and b) it need to focus/concentrate (if I wanted to listen to music, I'd pick a concert, not a triathlon race). Argument 'b' goes for serious outside training as well :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Aftershox for swimming. They sound better underwater to me, though you still hear the splash splash of plowing through the water. That doesn’t bother me so much.

As for running, I don’t think they’re loud enough. But with the volume all the way up and a song with good bass, they sure provide a tickling sensation to the temples.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strtezbckoff wrote:

Thanks,

Rick

I own 3 different Aftershokz products:
  • Titanium
  • Optishokz - sunglasses
  • Xtrainerz - swimming

Pros: Good (not great sound) sound. They don't fall out (I've never had an in ear headphone work). Never a bluetooth connection problem. I love swimming with the Xtrainerz (sound is excellent when using the supplied earplugs).

Cons: I submitted a warranty claim for the Optishokz due to battery failure. I've been ghosted since my submission on November 26th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ive been using the aftershockz bone conduction headphones for a while now. the quality has been hit / miss with them early on when they first came out, but later models seem to be pretty solid. im a big fan of them. also, their service / warranty is awesome. if they mess up the company is really good about returns / replacements.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strtezbckoff wrote:

Thanks,

Rick

Pros: Safest way to use headphones on a bike. You can still hear things around you more than standard head phones. Sound quality is very good.

Cons: They are not perfect and not completely safe on the road but they are the best by far in that department. Some can be pricey.

No you can't use them in an IM based on the current rules.
Quote Reply

Prev Next