Check the news. Insane.
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [Kanipupski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the French. Paris City Council.
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
our capitals under attack from al q most likely and scores dead injuredand you make a joke.

well done - your mom must be proud
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London , Here we go again . [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thursday, 7th July 2005
Many feared dead in London blasts

HORROR: Injured commuters head for safetyA SERIES of terrorist blasts ripped through central London today leaving scores of casualties.

Eye-witnesses reported seeing bodies piled in the wreckage of damaged Tube trains.

A double decker bus packed with people forced off the underground when the network was shut down was ripped apart by a massive blast.

Eyewitnesses said there were many fatalities.

The onslaught came as world leaders including Tony Blair and US President Bush were meeting in Scotland for the G8 summit.

As the scale of the attack became clear ministers attending the regular Thursday cabinet meeting convened an emergency Cobra committee to deal with the crisis.

The terror attacks began with a series of co-ordinated blasts on the Tube network.

Emergency services rushed to rescue trapped passengers.

At Liverpool Street Station in the City, the wounded were treated by medics as they lay on the concourse.

The Hilton Metropole on the Edgware Road was used as a makeshift treatment centre.

Explosion

There were unconfirmed reports that several people had died on the bus in the Russell Square area.

There were reports that more than one bus had blown up, but Scotland Yard said it was only dealing with one bus explosion.

Mainline stations were closed and Tube and bus services were cancelled across the city.
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said there had been at least six explosions, but said the picture was still "very confused".

There was no official death toll but survivors of blasts at Edgware Road station and between Aldgate and Liverpool Street reported seeing piles of bodies.

Police at the scene of the bus blast also said several people had died.

The Prime Minister was preparing to make a live televised statement on the explosions, Downing Street said

The blasts were initially blamed on a power surge but it soon became clear that it was a co-ordinated terrorist attack on the capital.

The G8 gathering had prompted fears of a terrorist spectacular.

The scale of the explosions and the disruption it has caused the capital's transport network is bound to provoke comparisons with the al Qaida attacks on the Madrid railway network.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke said there have been "terrible injuries" from a "number of dreadful incidents" across London.

Procedures

He said: "As far as the police are concerned, they are in operational command and dealing with the situation in accordance with very well-established procedures in an extremely professional way.

"Health services are in support to deal with the terrible injuries that there have been and I want to express sympathy on behalf of the Government to the family and friends of those who have been injured.

"Underground services have been suspended and we advise people not to make unnecessary journeys in London at this stage in order to help the police and other emergency services deal with the current situation."

He said he would update the House of Commons later today and added: "Throughout all of this and the terrible situation that there is we will be updating the public very directly at regular intervals with the most up to date information that we have."

Sarah Reid, 23, a student doing work experience, was on the carriage next door to the one which was struck by the explosion.

Blast

Speaking after the ordeal, having been led out down the track, near Liverpool Street station, she told how she saw a carriage ripped apart with the roof blown off.

"I think some people may have died," she said.

The blast had pulled some people's clothes off.

She added: "I was on the train and there was a fire outside the carriage window and then there was a sudden jolt which shook us forward.

"The explosion was behind me.

"Some people took charge. We went out of the back of the carriage."

She said the explosion happened at 8.50am but she was not able to get off the carriage until 9.30am.

All London hospitals were put on major incident alert after today's explosions.
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a sad post :

Zinc wrote :"It's the French. Paris City Council."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fuck a duck and try to fly
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [sjd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, let's just get focused and not lash out at each other. give Zinc the benefit of the doubt, he might not have seen the actually news yet. besides, we've got a tragedy on our hands...let's focus on the people that have been injured and traumatized.

those poor people, they were just going to work! this is beyond horrible, news. can you imagine??? what a world we live in.
Last edited by: kittycat: Jul 7, 05 5:00
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
those poor people, they were just going to work! this is beyond horrible, news. can you imagine??? what a world we live in.
kitty--yes, this is awful. Absolutely. But your reaction makes it sound like you are immune to the fact that this, and worse, happens everyday around the world. Is it because you identify more closely with the British as being "like me"?
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree... at least one car bomb explodes in Bagdad EVERYDAY... I forgot, the people that die EVERYDAY don't speak english...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [Kanipupski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latest news out here suggests that it has been carried out by the same group that orchestrated the Madrid train bombings. This of course is as yet unconfirmed, although an AL Q site claims responsibility (along with other groups).

Who ever is responsible it is a tragedy, as is the lost of any lives. Terrorism rears it's ugly head once again on the British mainland, seemingly Al Q taking over where PIRA left off.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really dude how do you know how she feels globaly? This is a very horrorible thing and it made her think a certian way. Can't we focus on what has happened and not judge people for at least 10 minutes?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monk, if you can say that me expressing thoughts over this tragedy leads into some other kind of bullshit that you're talking about, then i don't know what to say to you. i won't entertain it.
Last edited by: kittycat: Jul 7, 05 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's play nice on this, kids.

Monk, I get your point that we tend to "cry horror" when events like this occur anywhere other than the Middle East, Africa, etc. - where they routinely happen. We tend to see ourselves as somehow more civilized and "above the fray." That's clearly wrong and narrowminded.

But now's not the time. This is a terrible occurence, and right or wrong, it does hit "closer to home" for many of us here in the US. Point is, there is a distinction between terroristic events that occur within the borders of a country enmeshed in war and events such as these which occur in countries loosley involved in such conflicts.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo, that's an asshole response.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monk - that's a very astute post, we do see things as more horrific as things hit "closer to home", kind of like here in the US, people don't seem to get to fired up about things until they hit the suburbs.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, what an assholish thing to express publicly a truly global view of the world.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry Cathy but Paulo is plain right.
Yes, it's terrible to have bombs in the metro in london but as Paulo said, there are countries where this happens everyday and these countries don't even get mentionned on the news...
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happens every day in Israel. Has been happening there for many years.
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [FooFighterFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't Monk's point that was wrong it was the giant leap he took to include kittycat personally.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what was the only country to support the U.S. war on Iraq. big surprise this is then eh

sorry but I don't have time or energy to get emotional about this stuff.

the great and powerful play their games and the little guy pays their price. what the f____ else is new.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [miater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a bit early to draw conclusions...could be G8 related.
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fear turning on the TV in the morning these days,and todays horrible event leaves me numb.

The worse part is I just don't see an end to all this.

Do you guys think that this is just how a society evolves when it hits critical mass?

The fact that hatred permeates above all else.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it happens everyday all over the world. people are terrorized, murdered, raped, kidnapped, etc. the world is a sick place, always has been and always will be. humans have been grotesque to each other since the beginning of time...there is nothing new under the sun.

this doesn't mean that because someone expresses compassion, remorse for the situation, and horror at the sheer awfullness of the act, they don't realize that world is f'ed up, that violence is an everyday thing, and compassion is only for those of "their own kind" or language/heritage.

it is also true that most people all over the world are starving, sick, uncomfortable, and we are all quite wealthy in comparison. yet when we talk about zipp wheels, what food to eat when, what car/bike to buy, no one mentions this.

funny, when i spoke of how horrible this act was, a few people had the gall to respond as if I (or Americans) were an idiot and ignorant of the ways of violence in the world, as if I feel mostly towards those who have suffered in London only because they speak english, and I have disregard for all others. This is absurd, and another example of grotesque human behavior.
Last edited by: kittycat: Jul 7, 05 7:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which is exactly why this is a successful terrorist attack, regardless of who the "terrorists" are. Such is the dichotomy of terrorism: We are plainly, and rightly outraged at the action, yet this is precisely the reaction that lends success to the terrorists.

Frankly, this was a bit of masterful timing by whoever is responsible...the eyes of the world are on that part of the world with the G8 summit and even the news of London's Olympic selection yesterday... If, indeed, it turns out to be Al Qaeda, as is already being proposed, we had better start questioning our ability to bomb, kill and capture the group out of effectiveness...

Truly sad for those involved, and, indeed UK as a whole...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Paulo, that's an asshole response. "

Ditto
Quote Reply
Re: Bombs in London [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually, I just read in Le Monde that the attack was claimed by an unknown group which is part of Al Qaeda.
Quote Reply

Prev Next