Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bol suspended EPO
Quote | Reply
I know this is athletics but surprised it hasn’t been discussed. Apparently the out of competition test was targeted based on a tip off.

https://www.theguardian.com/...petition-doping-test

I know I shouldn’t be shocked but I am
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read the headline and thought it was Femke Bol. Relieved to see it wasn’t.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would anyone be shocked when an elite athlete tests positive for Peds? The real shocking thing is managing to test positive for epo!
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PowerPlay wrote:

I thought it was Cees Bol
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
PowerPlay wrote:

I thought it was Cees Bol

I thought it was about NBA player Bol Bol (Manute's son).

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PowerPlay wrote:

Manute Bol?
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
PowerPlay wrote:

Manute Bol?

He was permanently suspended....

from life 13 years ago.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad. He'd done a lot for Australian athletics and had a wonderful story - fleeing a war torn Sudan and coming to Australia with nothing. We're still waiting on his B sample, but it doesn't look good. Also having a look his results, a 7s improvement for the 1500m in 6 months - is that a red flag?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d be more shocked if someone makes a 800-5k final at olys and isn’t on the synthetics
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he may have been on the ‘gear’ a lot longer than 6 months
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [Bosco64] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bosco64 wrote:
I think he may have been on the ‘gear’ a lot longer than 6 months

I wonder when though. 0.5s in 5 years - you'd think he would have knocked it on the head with such poor improvements.
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain this to me please because I am very cynical.

Apparently he is claiming that it was just one test that was positive. He says he was test 20 times in a short period of time, some of them immediately before and some immediately after.

I thought synthetic EPO took approximately 7 to 21 days to be undetectable. How can he have been tested days before and afterwards which were negative but that one test was positive.

The level detected hasn’t been released but one Australian reporter is saying it was incredibly low.

I do believe he has been caught but I want to understand the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Can someone explain this to me please because I am very cynical.

Apparently he is claiming that it was just one test that was positive. He says he was test 20 times in a short period of time, some of them immediately before and some immediately after.

I thought synthetic EPO took approximately 7 to 21 days to be undetectable. How can he have been tested days before and afterwards which were negative but that one test was positive.

The level detected hasn’t been released but one Australian reporter is saying it was incredibly low.

I do believe he has been caught but I want to understand the process.

EPO clears way faster than 7-21 days, and microdosing is the most common way to take it. All it takes is one test at the right time, but as someone said above it’s a rare compound to test positive for given the short half life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just reading this thread and wondering, why is no one asking questions in triathlon about doping, miss use of TUE or motors?

PTO asked their pro athletes if they wanted public TUEs for athletes racing their event, but nothing more happened? Surely a good thing with public TUEs if you don’t have something to hide? Now there’s no motor checks in their events(?) and no more questions about pioneering anti doping in the organisation? They surely have all possibilities to set the bench mark for anti doping, but they don’t? Perhaps fits well next to some of the captains in The Collins Cup with a history very closely linked to PED….?

Or the Norwegians very public using “lots of” asthma medicine before their races? Sounds strange to do if it doesn’t have an effect they know about? Or just their recovery time after training (how often do you hear about athletes running ~40km in one session a week before a world championship)?

Or the HUGE amount of athletes dropping out of the first PTO championships (Daytona 2020?) or angrily refusing to have their bike checked for motors at the same event….?

Not to mentioned “strange” injuries after WC titles, amazing recoveries, performances coming from no where or athletes never being tested (cause they are “so average”) and suddenly crushing professional fields in Kona…

Just interested if this is found “normal” and people look the other way….?
Last edited by: Patrickkk: Jan 26, 23 6:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Olympian Peter Bol has provisional doping suspension for EPO lifted after B-sample does not match A-sample - ABC News

"Sport Integrity Australia says the B-sample returned an "atypical finding", which it says is not the same as a negative result"
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:

Olympian Peter Bol has provisional doping suspension for EPO lifted after B-sample does not match A-sample - ABC News

"Sport Integrity Australia says the B-sample returned an "atypical finding", which it says is not the same as a negative result"

So still not in the clear? Both samples test positive for synthetic EPO, but in different quantities?
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

So still not in the clear? Both samples test positive for synthetic EPO, but in different quantities?

In the clear enough to have the suspension lifted so he can train and compete again. Hopefully more information will be released explaining what an "atypical finding" is and what it means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

In the clear enough to have the suspension lifted so he can train and compete again. Hopefully more information will be released explaining what an "atypical finding" is and what it means.

I heard an 'expert' on the radio this afternoon saying it should be cleared up reasonably quickly, as the lab would want to restore its reputation.
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [Patrickkk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrickkk wrote:
Just reading this thread and wondering, why is no one asking questions in triathlon about doping, miss use of TUE or motors?

PTO asked their pro athletes if they wanted public TUEs for athletes racing their event, but nothing more happened? Surely a good thing with public TUEs if you don’t have something to hide? Now there’s no motor checks in their events(?) and no more questions about pioneering anti doping in the organisation? They surely have all possibilities to set the bench mark for anti doping, but they don’t? Perhaps fits well next to some of the captains in The Collins Cup with a history very closely linked to PED….?

Or the Norwegians very public using “lots of” asthma medicine before their races? Sounds strange to do if it doesn’t have an effect they know about? Or just their recovery time after training (how often do you hear about athletes running ~40km in one session a week before a world championship)?

Or the HUGE amount of athletes dropping out of the first PTO championships (Daytona 2020?) or angrily refusing to have their bike checked for motors at the same event….?

Not to mentioned “strange” injuries after WC titles, amazing recoveries, performances coming from no where or athletes never being tested (cause they are “so average”) and suddenly crushing professional fields in Kona…

Just interested if this is found “normal” and people look the other way….?

They're all on the hot sauce my man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has been cleared to race again.

B sample didn’t match the A sample.

When was the last time that an A and B sample were different?
Last edited by: SheridanTris: Feb 14, 23 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:

When was the last time that an A and B sample were different?

I don't know the last time, but the most famous time might be the Marion Jones EPO B sample in 2006.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Atypical Finding: A report from a WADA-accredited laboratory or other WADA- approved
laboratory which requires further investigation as provided by the International Standard for
Laboratories or related Technical Documents prior to the determination of an Adverse
Analytical Finding

In laymans terms An Atypical Finding means that there was something not quite right with his b sample therefore requiring further studying. They likely will be looking again at some of his older tests also and any newer ones as well.
I do find it very confusing with EPO as the test is for synthetic epo not natural therefore if it's in there it is there. It is different than looking for natural hormones etc that the body produces naturally therefore the levels vary between individuals but have a max allowable level.
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but if the samples yield different results there is reasonable evidence that something went wrong either during the collection of the samples, or the testing or both. Any lawyer worth his salt could embarrass both the lab and the sanctioning authority, which is a risk they probably don't want to take.
Quote Reply
Re: Bol suspended EPO [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest issue is that his name and test result were leaked before testing the B sample. That should not happen.
Quote Reply

Prev Next