Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Blummenfelt is doing Dubai 70.3
Quote | Reply
The world's fastest over the 70.3 distance is going to race in Dubai according to his Instagram account.
This will be fun.
Hopefully some other fast athletes will show up.

Not sure if any other of the Norwegians will race, I hope so since they are the second and third fastest over the distance.

2019 will be fun
Quote Reply
Re: Blummenfelt is doing Dubai 70.3 [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
The world's fastest over the 70.3 distance
pretty meaningless

Quote:
they are the second and third fastest over the distance.
see above

Quote:
2019 will be fun
yes it will be, especially when they race in a stacked field
Quote Reply
Re: Blummenfelt is doing Dubai 70.3 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meaningless... for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
course was short

they are still extremely fast dudes

but they are not the best or fastest at the exact. 70.3 distance, perhaps the approx 70.3, but even there, I bet I could find a shorter course than the one they did...

It will be an exciting race, and I agree, hope more "fast" guys show up to make it even more interesting..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, these guys were working as a team, course was short, plus lots of questions about moto drafting...they are all very fast but I wouldn’t put any of them on the podium at 70.3 worlds.

jkhayc wrote:
Halvard wrote:
The world's fastest over the 70.3 distance
pretty meaningless

Quote:
they are the second and third fastest over the distance.
see above

Quote:
2019 will be fun
yes it will be, especially when they race in a stacked field
Quote Reply
Re: Blummenfelt is doing Dubai 70.3 [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To a lot of plot of people. I mean look at the Ironman world record which is currently held by Matt Hanson (meant with no disrespect, I like him but he’s not even in the same league as the top guys). Records/fastest times for Ironman and 70.3 are pretty meaningless.

I hoping a good field shows up at 70.3 worlds. Though I wonder if some of the good IM guys will skip it to focus on Kona seeing how it worked out for Jan and Gomez. But if we saw those two, Blum, Brownlee, Wurf, Keinle, Lange and some others all going full blast we’d all be in for a treat.

I wonder if Blum will cut back on ITU or SL racing. Might be tough if he spreads himself across all three as we grow closer to an Olympic year

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Blummenfelt is doing Dubai 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short? Iden posted his GPS. You can find it on Strava.

Looks to me that people are grumpy some Norwegian ITU guys raced for fun in the off season and raced faster than any LC athletes have ever done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody cares. Kristian doesn’t care. His peers don’t care.

All that matters is championships, and real competitors, across all walks of life, know this.

Jack Nicklaus won like 20 golf majors... he could give a f*ck about who had the lowest round at any of those wins or in any golf season.

WInners win, everyone else is irrelevant.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I don't really like "world records" in Triathlon as the courses, conditions and moto drafting are just too variable, that performance by the Norwegians was quite impressive. The half marathon distance was pretty precise and a sub 1:07 after pushing 300 Watts for two hours is just world class. That performance brings you right into the mix at world champs. Everyone was freaking out about Frodenos run at worlds. The bike might have been harder but there was more on the line as well. I guess Blu could press out even more with tighter competition and at peak fitness.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:

Looks to me that people are grumpy some Norwegian ITU guys raced for fun in the off season and raced faster than any LC athletes have ever done.

"grumpy" isn't really accurate. more like "meh."

when KB shows up at 70.3 worlds and goes toe to toe with the best among his peers and beats them then i'd probably be willing to say stuff like "fastest" or "best." i don't think i'd consider anybody in that Bahrain top 10 "world class" level at a world championship event except for KB.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Dec 31, 18 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Blummenfelt is doing Dubai 70.3 [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
While I don't really like "world records" in Triathlon as the courses, conditions and moto drafting are just too variable, that performance by the Norwegians was quite impressive. The half marathon distance was pretty precise and a sub 1:07 after pushing 300 Watts for two hours is just world class. That performance brings you right into the mix at world champs. Everyone was freaking out about Frodenos run at worlds. The bike might have been harder but there was more on the line as well. I guess Blu could press out even more with tighter competition and at peak fitness.

I don't really disagree, but do that at a race where it really MATTERS and then it'll be "world class."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Halvard wrote:

when KB shows up at 70.3 worlds and goes toe to toe with the best among his peers and beats them then i'd probably be willing to say stuff like "fastest" or "best." i don't think i'd consider anybody in that Bahrain top 10 "world class" level at a world championship event except for KB.

Wait, so if he shows up at worlds, and beats everyone... you will probably say stuff like "he is the best"? If he wins 70.3 worlds, then he is the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Blummenfelt is doing Dubai 70.3 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange that you are using golf as an example. As far as I know golf is not an endurance sport and have no similarities to the endurance world.

The truth is that records and fastest times do count in endurance sports. Athletes can get extra price money for a course record. And of course big bonuses for world records. You can even get a new car if you break the record in some ski races. Also, 2018 was the year of the fastest marathon. That race got a lot of talk, press and attention.

Now I cannot wait for the LC guys to race way under 3.30 since it is so easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in triathlon, unless it’s the same course year over year, and even then nobody cares.

Nobody’s saying 3:30 is easy, stop with the straw man.

KB is very good at exercising. If he wants to measure how good, WTS, Olympics, or 70.3 Worlds is the place to do that.

As James said, “meh”

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No offence Halvard, but you’re biased. I’m not saying Kristian isn’t great but given he was never even close to the abilities of Gomez, Frodo, Alistair, even recently lost to the slower Brownlee you have to understand why we discount any notion he’s the best...

He didn’t even crack top 10 in Rio, or the podium at Grand Final..
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Dec 31, 18 16:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t worry about the haters, they were all very wrong pre race for Bahrain.

Over 70.3 distance i think only Frodeno and Brownlee will give the Norweigians trouble, but Brownlee is broken half the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I get from your Ingebritsen/“fastest on earth” Blu posts is that you are sooooo proud of being Norwegian... which frankly seems a bit childish to me. Same as some of my fellow Spaniards pimping Gomez at all times... well, minus the world titles ;-)

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
The truth is that records and fastest times do count in endurance sports.

Not really true. They count a lot in timed sports where conditions are consistent enough to make comparison of times meaningful. Track and road running, pool swimming, track cycling, cross country skiing - records in these sports count because they can be meaningfully compared across different courses and conditions.

Road cycling? Nobody really cares at all about times or speeds, because tactics, weather and courses make them all but meaningless, with a slight exception of comparing ascent times on the same climb. Rowing? Nobody cares that much, wind and water conditions have a big impact on speeds. Horse racing? (it's an endurance sport...) I'm not even sure they bother having a clock running do they? Triathlon? Similar to road cycling and rowing, nobody cares that much, course and world records will be noted when they're broken, but their importance comes a distant second to who actually won. Off the top of my head I could list most of the Olympic, ITU, Kona and 70.3 Worlds champions over the last couple of decades. I honestly don't think I could even come close to listing who's broken the various world records in that time. Whereas in the blue riband running and swimming events I could have a pretty decent crack at both the champions and the world record holders.
Quote Reply
Re: Blummenfelt is doing Dubai 70.3 [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Wait, so if he shows up at worlds, and beats everyone... you will probably say stuff like "he is the best"? If he wins 70.3 worlds, then he is the best.

...that day against those people. hence my use of the word "probably" and "among the best."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Strange that you are using golf as an example. As far as I know golf is not an endurance sport and have no similarities to the endurance world.

The truth is that records and fastest times do count in endurance sports. Athletes can get extra price money for a course record. And of course big bonuses for world records. You can even get a new car if you break the record in some ski races. Also, 2018 was the year of the fastest marathon. That race got a lot of talk, press and attention.

Now I cannot wait for the LC guys to race way under 3.30 since it is so easy.

you are very full of crap arguments.

Quote:
Also, 2018 was the year of the fastest marathon. That race got a lot of talk, press and attention.

not even close to a valid comparison to Bahrain 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:

His example is a good one.
Your counterargument is ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: Blummenfelt is doing Dubai 70.3 [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vittorio wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Have you told the organizers of New York marathon? For some reason they are paying the athletes more if they run faster. You should call them and tell that what they are doing is ridiculous.
https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/...ney-and-bonus-awards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s interesting how the point multiple people in thread are making seems to fly right over your head. Not sure if it’s a language barrier or you just don’t comprehend what people are trying to explain to you

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard, it’s great he’s doing Dubai don’t misunderstand everyone. I look forward to seeing these guys race and how they stack up against real competition. I love the way KB races. That said, we’re simply saying that fastest time on “x course” has lost all meaning given all the reasons noted. What’s really important is who they raced against. That’s why 70.3 worlds is the ultimate test :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
vittorio wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Have you told the organizers of New York marathon? For some reason they are paying the athletes more if they run faster. You should call them and tell that what they are doing is ridiculous.
https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/...ney-and-bonus-awards

Ok, you really didn't get it.
Have a nice day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next