Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blue Seventy Core Swim Trunks - why wouldn`t I
Quote | Reply
Thought I would ask if there is a real good reason why someone wouldn't use the neoprene shorts for swimming?

I am a fitness swimmer doing 2500m, 3 times a week. I usually do 6x250`s or 3x500`s and then finish with 1000 m pull. Garmin says my average pace is 1:57 / 100m with the pull just a bit more "rapid" feeling. Recently I have started doing flip turns every second length of the 25m pool with the pull buoy, as pulling affords me better breath control and what the hell I am 55 and learning a new trick

Would these shorts be a crutch I shouldn`t lean on? I have seen some of the local tri club members wearing them, and for the first time today saw them in the "running" store.

I will probably get them as I have some cash from selling motorcycle boots I can use, and I am I former tri racer just carrying on, I can't lurk forever and have to post about something

What do you swimmers know?
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Core Swim Trunks - why wouldn`t I [islandr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
islandr wrote:
Thought I would ask if there is a real good reason why someone wouldn't use the neoprene shorts for swimming?

I am a fitness swimmer doing 2500m, 3 times a week. I usually do 6x250`s or 3x500`s and then finish with 1000 m pull. Garmin says my average pace is 1:57 / 100m with the pull just a bit more "rapid" feeling. Recently I have started doing flip turns every second length of the 25m pool with the pull buoy, as pulling affords me better breath control and what the hell I am 55 and learning a new trick

Would these shorts be a crutch I shouldn`t lean on? I have seen some of the local tri club members wearing them, and for the first time today saw them in the "running" store.

I will probably get them as I have some cash from selling motorcycle boots I can use, and I am I former tri racer just carrying on, I can't lurk forever and have to post about something

They serve a purpose and can help with your swimming, but IMO need to be used sparingly. I used them for 2 years while I battled a shoulder injury. But after I recovered and took them off, I realised my technique had gone backwards somewhat. My kick was shitty as was my body position. You can get away with no kicking and don't have to work on your body position in the core shorts. Should you use them? It does depend on what you are trying to achieve. If you predominantly race in wetsuits then perhaps it's not a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
islandr wrote:

What would be your reason for using them?

What is your goal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the pull buoy extensively for my swimming and use the flotation shorts more now my stroke and capacity to swim better and longer has improved. The shorts allow me to incorporate kicking into my sessions over a pull buoy. It is easier to swim in the shorts much like using a pool buoy and if that makes you enjoy swimming more, swim for longer and allows you to maintain a better swim stroke during fatigue then I am all for using them more especially considering for me I do most racing in a wetsuit anyway. My coach was an elite pro swimmer and trained under Sutto and I can only agree with their philosophy.

http://blog.trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jul 15, 18 19:23
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Core Swim Trunks - why wouldn`t I [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goal is to swim smoother and faster which I currently do with a pull buoy. My body position is slowly vetting better from what I learn on the interweb, and occasionally a good Samaritan will point something out. If I was to ever race again it would be in a wetsuit

I fundamentally know not to always use a pull buoy all the time, and was dreaming that these shorts wouldn't have the same "stigma"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
islandr wrote:
My goal is to swim smoother and faster which I currently do with a pull buoy. My body position is slowly vetting better from what I learn on the interweb, and occasionally a good Samaritan will point something out. If I was to ever race again it would be in a wetsuit

I fundamentally know not to always use a pull buoy all the time, and was dreaming that these shorts wouldn't have the same "stigma"

I train on my tribike because I race on my tri bike

If I am only going to do wetsuit legal tris I train in my wetsuit.

If not then I swim train in my trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love swimming in my Roka Sim shorts (same thing as what you’re looking at) but I weaned myself off of them. You’ll swim faster with them but you’re swim fitness will suffer since you’re not having to do anything to hold good body position. I still use mine but only on days where my legs feel beat up from running/biking.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Core Swim Trunks - why wouldn`t I [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link to the pull buoy debate blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
islandr wrote:

If not then I swim train in my tri-suit.

Do you swim in the pool wearing your tri-suit??? I've seen guys do this but man, that looks pretty weird. I can understand doing it once or twice to see how it feels, if the tri-suit rubs excessively in certain places, etc, but swimming in it all the time just does not look right, but then again this is coming from a swimmer. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the shorts have a purpose and are awesome. That purpose is if you are dragging butt and need to keep up with a set with a group of friends - either because you are severely fatigued or they are just that much better than you. They are also good for recovery swims or simulating wetsuit swimming in a pool. The shorts are faster than a pull bouy IMHO. If you really want to get faster though, chances are you will use them as crutch so using them too often and you will get lazy and disengage your core. If you do end up buying a set and can't get a better deal than 25% then feel fee to use the following 25% off.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Core Swim Trunks - why wouldn`t I [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I use the pull buoy extensively for my swimming and use the flotation shorts more now my stroke and capacity to swim better and longer has improved. The shorts allow me to incorporate kicking into my sessions over a pull buoy. It is easier to swim in the shorts much like using a pool buoy and if that makes you enjoy swimming more, swim for longer and allows you to maintain a better swim stroke during fatigue then I am all for using them more especially considering for me I do most racing in a wetsuit anyway. My coach was an elite pro swimmer and trained under Sutto and I can only agree with their philosophy.

http://blog.trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/

You’re a jonnyo deciple! Bless that man. I still use my pull all the time despite swearing I’m gonna get rid of it at some stage
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Core Swim Trunks - why wouldn`t I [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
If you really want to get faster though, chances are you will use them as crutch so using them too often and you will get lazy and disengage your core. .

I agree.

I would only recommend them if you're injured, need to keep up with quicker swimmers or are hungover. Better off just using the PB, sparingly.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Core Swim Trunks - why wouldn`t I [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think one of your first comments says it to me "I am a fitness swimmer"....in that sense....who really cares?
There are pro's and con's to using them as part of triathlon training and obviously any other competitive swimming environment, but if they help you get out there and clock more yards, then all the better.
Like others, I would advise caution if using them for other purposes. Yes, they will likely make you quicker, but I don't train with my race wheels on, similar thoughts here, I get a boost when I race with a wetsuit on and to me training without these pants gives me a truer reflection of where I am at presently compared to where I have come from.
But as I said before, if it gets you out there and swimming more than go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Core Swim Trunks - why wouldn`t I [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
RBR wrote:
islandr wrote:

If not then I swim train in my tri-suit.

Do you swim in the pool wearing your tri-suit??? I've seen guys do this but man, that looks pretty weird. I can understand doing it once or twice to see how it feels, if the tri-suit rubs excessively in certain places, etc, but swimming in it all the time just does not look right, but then again this is coming from a swimmer. :)

My sole purpose for training is to win. I won’t allow feeling weird stop me from doing that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what I do (seems to work although no scientific basis) - I wear neoprene shorts for my Tues/Thurs workouts 3 or 4 weeks before a race with a wetsuit swim. This seems to replicate a wetsuit swim body position and prepared to race. I love it! Certainly they are a "crutch" if you use them all the time.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In swimming there is training gear and there is race gear... so swimmers should burn through expensive racing suits all the time so that they can train under race conditions all the time? Sure I'll throw on a race jammer for a hard set here and there, but not all the time.

UT suited up for the main set here :

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply