Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blocked internal cable routing
Quote | Reply
Hiya,

Am trying to replace the gear cable on my Blue Triad SL but the front derailleur one won’t go in more than about 2-3 inches before stopping.

Have tried going the other way up into the frame but it gets to about the same spot and stops.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Blocked internal cable routing [funkster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a built in cable stop?

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Blocked internal cable routing [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes there is balloon parts left from manufacturing. Take a coathanger or other pliable wire and punch through it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
use a vacuum cleaner to suck a cotton thread through. Tie this to the cable and pull it back through
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
Is there a built in cable stop?

There seems to be internal tubing of some sort as the whole is only wide enough for the cable
Quote Reply
Re: Blocked internal cable routing [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDavis wrote:
Sometimes there is balloon parts left from manufacturing. Take a coathanger or other pliable wire and punch through it.

This is replacing the cable that was already there, but the new one don’t wanna go in for some reason
Quote Reply
Re: Blocked internal cable routing [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
use a vacuum cleaner to suck a cotton thread through. Tie this to the cable and pull it back through

That’s the next thing to try, but the exit point is dormant the cable guide under the BB, so tricky to get a seal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Park Tool IR-1.2 Internal Cable Routing Kit to recable my bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
funkster wrote:
TriDavis wrote:

This is replacing the cable that was already there, but the new one don’t wanna go in for some reason

I realize that. I bet whomever did it the first time(shop) did the same thing I am suggesting. I have had to do this before on frames I have recabled. BTW....why did you pull the cable completely out in the first place without attaching something to it? I use flexible 3mm tubing, works great.
Quote Reply
Re: Blocked internal cable routing [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDavis wrote:
funkster wrote:
TriDavis wrote:

I realize that. I bet whomever did it the first time(shop) did the same thing I am suggesting. I have had to do this before on frames I have recabled. BTW....why did you pull the cable completely out in the first place without attaching something to it? I use flexible 3mm tubing, works great.

Because hindsight is wonderful thing...

This is the size of the whole I'm working with (if the picture shows up)
Last edited by: funkster: May 5, 19 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm still barking up the wrong tree but it looks like a cable stop. Did the old cable have a ferrule there? When you removed the old cable did it have housing last that point in the picture? To me it looks like the housing is meant to stop there and bare cable is supposed to continue from there to wherever it attaches. Do you have a pic zoomed out to give context of where the hole is?

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: May 5, 19 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
Maybe I'm still barking up the wrong tree but it looks like a cable stop. Did the old cable have a ferrule there? When you removed the old cable did it have housing last that point in the picture? To me it looks like the housing is meant to stop there and bare cable is supposed to continue from there to wherever it attaches. Do you have a pic zoomed out to give context of where the hole is?

You are correct, but I'm just trying to insert the inner cable into that hole and it goes in about 2-3 inches and stops
Quote Reply
Re: Blocked internal cable routing [Acsp34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Acsp34 wrote:
I use Park Tool IR-1.2 Internal Cable Routing Kit to recable my bikes

This tool only works if there is a big enough hole to exit the cables. It utterly failed on my Cervelo p2c for the internal cable routing as the guide cables wouldn't fit through the frame holes. OP will likely have the same problem given the tiny size of the hole (in what may be a stuck cable stop in the frame unless he can remove it as per the photo)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may be hosed. My hunch is that the interior cable guide inside the frame could be damaged or broken, and the cable is escaping the guide. If that is the case, it would be insanely difficult to get the cable to stay inside the guide. Here are a few things you could try...

1: Bend the end of the cable to a slight angle. Fish it in, and then see if you can get it to continue by rotating the bend to different angles.
2: If you are using a cheap cable, solder the end of the cable to make it solid. Then file the tip to a point. See if you can fish that through.
3: Buy a small, flexible gauge of piano wire from a hobby shop. See if you can fist that through. And, try the bending tip above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried putting the cable through the other end?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. Only read part of the thread.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Blocked internal cable routing [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Have you tried putting the cable through the other end?

Yep
Quote Reply
Re: Blocked internal cable routing [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
You may be hosed. My hunch is that the interior cable guide inside the frame could be damaged or broken, and the cable is escaping the guide. If that is the case, it would be insanely difficult to get the cable to stay inside the guide. Here are a few things you could try...

1: Bend the end of the cable to a slight angle. Fish it in, and then see if you can get it to continue by rotating the bend to different angles.
2: If you are using a cheap cable, solder the end of the cable to make it solid. Then file the tip to a point. See if you can fish that through.
3: Buy a small, flexible gauge of piano wire from a hobby shop. See if you can fist that through. And, try the bending tip above.

I will try those tomorrow :)
Quote Reply