Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bloating and cramps on the run
Quote | Reply
I had the privilege to race a sprint duathlon this weekend. Ate oatmeal PB and coffee for breakfast 2.5 hrs later I was racing. On the bike I took my aeria hydtation with enough fluid for a couple sips to keep the mouth wet. I use a home made sugar,glu,fru mix that is 50:50 and sodium citrate. Dillution was 50g in 24oz of water, so not too concentrated.

Not even a mile into Run 2 I was attacked by an excruciating side stitch, that wouldn't go away until I stopped with my hands on my knees and burped it out. This cost we a 2nd place finish to falling to 4th.

After some general googling, I thought maybe the straw system is getting too much air in my stomach. Thinking back to my last Olympic tri in 2019, I had the same cramping. Went out and rode a 115mile z2 yesterday. Last 60/70 miles was gatorade, gels, a flat coke, and half a clif bar. Came home and went out for a 5 mile brick. I could feel the same cramping coming in. The upside to this time was that IM pace is slow enough to push the burps out without needing to stop.

What the hell is wrong with me? Anyone else deal with this? Thinking of taking gas x on the bike.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds to me like your body isn't able to process what you've eaten at the chosen intensity.

The gas in your stomach isn't from swallowing air but from your body breaking down what you've eaten and isn't processing very quickly.

Trying this out in practice is a wise thing for you to do, it appears like something isn't agreeing with you. Personally, premixed Gatorade gives me problems like you describe but made from a powder is fine with me.

I'd work on one thing at a time and keep track of how many calories you're taking in. Start with water and gels for a 2-2.5 hour HIM paced ride (80% FTP) and see how you feel. If all is well then add Gatorade to the test the following week. After that test, make another change the following week. If you have a problem with one thing, substitute with something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I had this figured out over the winter, but never did try running after. I got to the point of drinking 36oz-100g/hour with my home mix without any noticeable problems

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't have anything other than water for a sprint distance race. You just don't need the calories for such a short time, so why mess with it?
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in hindsight, idk. I guess I figured it couldn't hurt I guess. Guess it can!

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fats, proteins, and fiber all slow stomach emptying----which is a lot of what oatmeal and PB are. Coffee can also cause issues...especially when combined with the typical race-day jitters/excitement---even if its part of your normal daily routine.

I'd experiment with more refined carbs and negligible fat/fiber/protein on raceday...and possibly meal timing. 2.5 hours is kinda short for solid food---esp with fiber and fat included. I'd also drop the caffeine until you find something that works, then experiment with adding it back.

You don't really need much nutrition for an Oly. A liquid breakfast, and fluids on the bike...along with stored energy is plenty for max performance. The less you eat the less likely you are to have gut issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

You don't really need much nutrition for an Oly. A liquid breakfast, and fluids on the bike...along with stored energy is plenty for max performance. The less you eat the less likely you are to have gut issues.

I was getting ready to ask... Could I simply just wake up and drink suger water on race morning?

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A race that is 2 to 2.5+ hours needs some nutrition to perform at maximum performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Jaret. But, its less than many think. An Oly will burn ~2000 calories, give or take the width of a brick. Oly intensity, generally is 65-75% carbohydrate fueled...so, 1500 of that is likely sugar based.

The average trained male can access ~1800 calories of stored carbohydrate, when fasted. No one wants to bonk in a race. So, getting down to that last 300 at the end of the run is likely to be sub-optimal. Its probably better to finish the race with 500-700 left in the tank (so to speak). Thus, you probably need to consume 400-ish combined between pre-race and in-race nutrition.

At Oly intensity you can't digest much unless you specifically train it. I estimate ~100 cal/hr for myself. That's 2 gels, or a gel + gatorade, etc. So, 200-300 calories for breakfast, maybe a gel in T1, and hydrate on the bike with diluted sports drink...should be enough to get you across the line without much risk of gut issues.

Maltodextrin (gels) doesn't work for everyone...same with the various sports drink products. Some have more glucose, some more sucrose, some have other designer carbs. Everyone can just be a little different. And what works in Z1-2 may not work in z3-4. So, you need to do some race sims with nutrition to find out what works, at target intensity.

I prefer Gatorade, because I grew up on it. So, as long as it hot enough to need plenty of hydration I just get my in-race calories from that. I don't like it too concentrated, though (usually diluted 50/50)...so, if its cold/cool and I won't need much fluid, I'll supplement with a gel in T1. The caffeinated Gu works well for me.

YMMV. Hence the need to try things out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree it's lower than many people think, 300 is about what I do and I'm a 2:15 person. 1 in the beginning of bike, 1 near the middle, 1 near the end of bike or 1st mile into the run.

It's not 300-400 an hour like some people may do in an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you 100% on this. His breakfast and timing sound good, but I honestly don't see the need for ingesting a home made sugar mix ( or any calories for that matter) right before the run, or at any time in a sprint event. Try just plain water next time, or a light, non- or low-caloric electrolyte drink like Nuun. For a sprint I might even dilute it down even further unless high-heat/ cramping is a big concern.
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the calorie count is his issue, I think it's just the composition. While the OP doesn't specifically say how much was ingested, I still think it may have been too much as well. The breakfast timing seems OK depending on what was eaten the previous night. I like to eat an early dinner the night before so my gut can be relatively empty (food digested and waste passed).

I think Tom_hampton explains things really well. This comment is right on:

"Maltodextrin (gels) doesn't work for everyone...same with the various sports drink products. Some have more glucose, some more sucrose, some have other designer carbs. Everyone can just be a little different. And what works in Z1-2 may not work in z3-4. So, you need to do some race sims with nutrition to find out what works, at target intensity."

Personally I find that the Infinit speed formula works well for me since it's lower calories and easy to pass. For some reason it settles my stomach if it gets upset from the swim and sets me up for a run where I can take in nutrition if needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would you approach 70.3 and 140.6 then?
My original thinking was to always keep oneself topped up no matter what the distance is... seeing that is wrong in a triathlon because of the run intensity. Might work in bike races.

With a 140.6 you will always be at a deficit so topping up as much as possible makes sense to me, and the slower run paces lower the risk of side stiches... but what about 70.3? Can you still afford to go easier on the carbs?

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad that you created this thread because I had the same thing happen to me this past weekend (and have had repeated issues with stitching on the run in the past)! This past weekend in particular, I did 2:15 at HIM pace in a humid trainer room and ran 32 mins off the bike at target HIM effort (just below threshold). I took a small sip of gel + water every ~10 mins, but like clockwork, took a sip of gel at 28' and immediately stitched within 2'. I fueled on the bike with 2x SIS go electrolyte + 1 gel, and 1 gel + water on the run (felt great until the side tightened).

This is an N=1 but I don't think the SIS gels work well for me on the run. I've had a few instances where I've been fine, consumed just a sip of gel, and within 3' immediately felt my side cramping. I can tolerate them at sub threshold paces and cool temps (e.g. HR 160 or lower) but as soon as I try to consume once my HR gets up around 162 or more, my side stitches within 2 mins of consuming any no matter how small. This weekend, it may have been worse because I don't think I drank enough on the bike and was dehydrated.

Looking for advice on what nutrition to try on the run in the future I've used Beta Fuel successfully for long training tempo runs and longer trail races with limited aid stations and felt great, but I don't want to carry that much on me in races with regular fluids. I have tried a couple samples of clif/hammer gels and been fine with them (e.g. the concentrated, non-isotonic ones) but I've never tried them at race pace. Also thinking that chews might be better than gels for running since I can take fewer calories more frequently- I had one sample of Honey Stinger plus chews which I really liked. Also thinking of trying Honey Stinger in case malto is the cause of my issues on the run (most other gels are exclusively malto and not even glucose-fructose).

Anyone have experience with frequently stitching at high intensities and figured out a way to fuel? I've had the most success with not fueling or underfueling running races, but that won't work for 70.3+ or hot/humid HM/marathons.
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes me wonder how in the hell Gustav took 110g per hour at Challenge Miami

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious...

Do those of you who have issues with stitches and run nutrition....practice eating during training? I find that the first few times I fuel during long runs each season...I get stitches (different from cramps, bloating...tho). So, I make a point of going out for runs on a full stomach, and fueling/drinking on runs when I might not normally, in order to adjust to the sensations and blood flow changes caused by a full stomach and sloshing from liquids. After a few weeks, it settles down and I can ramp up the intensity more.

As always, avoid fats (I'm assuming you are referring to the stinger chews and gels (which are non-maltodetrin carbs); not the waffles (which have a lot of FAT).
Drink/eat less, but more often. That way there's a constant dribble instead of a large bolus.
PEEPing (and other alternative breathing patterns) helps me when I get stiches. It creates a rhythmic muscle contraction pattern in the abdominals, and can disrupt the muscle spasm. As soon as I feel one coming, I take deep breaths and breath out forcefully-slowly through pursed lips 5-10 times. Repeat every couple of minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:

Genetics and training...and a careful combination of carbohydrates that have dissimilar intestinal transport systems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'm curious...

Do those of you who have issues with stitches and run nutrition....practice eating during training? I find that the first few times I fuel during long runs each season...I get stitches (different from cramps, bloating...tho). So, I make a point of going out for runs on a full stomach, and fueling/drinking on runs when I might not normally, in order to adjust to the sensations and blood flow changes caused by a full stomach and sloshing from liquids. After a few weeks, it settles down and I can ramp up the intensity more.

As always, avoid fats (I'm assuming you are referring to the stinger chews and gels (which are non-maltodetrin carbs); not the waffles (which have a lot of FAT).
Drink/eat less, but more often. That way there's a constant dribble instead of a large bolus.
PEEPing (and other alternative breathing patterns) helps me when I get stiches. It creates a rhythmic muscle contraction pattern in the abdominals, and can disrupt the muscle spasm. As soon as I feel one coming, I take deep breaths and breath out forcefully-slowly through pursed lips 5-10 times. Repeat every couple of minutes.

I get stitches and it’s usually after eating something that doesn’t sit great in my stomach ... there is food that I can eat half an hour before and have got no issues (yoghurt and muesli) and off I go to do a long run. Looking at the OPs ingredient list I’d try cutting out PB - I had issues with it .. not only was it was stuck in my throat (like it was affecting my breathing) but wasn’t sitting well in my stomach, but I note that PB wasn’t eaten the last time you had these issues ... however I love a PBJ sandwich for recovery :)

You can only try to experiment with different types of food. I try to stick with easy to digest carbs and sugars (I’m not a fan of using gels).

I used to get stitches often and I’d just have to stop and massage the area (as it’s almost like a muscle cramp?) but not as much anymore. Don’t know if it’s my food nutrition or cuz I’m taking in more electrolytes and magnesium etc than I used to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can do 800 cal of my home mix in a 2:15 Sweet Spot ride no problem. Never have done the run after though.... oof

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally don't do more than maybe 10-15oz and 30g carbs for a sprint. Intensity is too high and duration is short enough that it's not super necessary to have much.

Table of Intra-workout Carb Needs Per Hour of Training

Check out my instagram post from yesterday (link in signature) for how I'd handle your exact situation. 50minute crit needs very similar fueling strategy to sprint du.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

Genetics and training...and a careful combination of carbohydrates that have dissimilar intestinal transport systems.

Bingo. Genetics, training, proper carb beverage composition, and I'll add: Higher carb intake rates work better at lower relative intensities. Longer races require more carbs per hour. Table of Intra-workout Carb Needs Per Hour of Training

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'm curious...

Yep, honey stinger chews and gels. I was really stretching out the gel (1 SIS gel consumed in 4-5 sips over 30 mins, chased with a little water). But I just think those gels don't work for me- even when I hydrate well or in cooler conditions, I feel a heaviness in my stomach within a couple mins of having any SIS gel (even if it doesn't result in a stitch).

I do eat a ton during training but don't usually have issues with stitching (and I almost always use real food/bars in training), but most of my workouts are at lower intensity or shorter durations than races. Shorter duration, high intensity runs I typically don't fuel during (aside from electrolyte drink) since I can't process anything (even liquid) once I start pushing well above threshold). For sub-threshold tempos, I have no problem eating real foods like Nature's Bakery and Clif Kids, So the only time I end up pushing threshold and needing to fuel is in long races.

It's interesting, I have an iron stomach on the bike at most intensities and running at low intensities. I can literally eat trail mix and nuts for hours and be totally fine. But once I hit my threshold heart rate running, I just can't take on anything. Nowadays, I get around this by not fueling a road half or shorter. But I really want to max my performance in Virginia 70.3 and eventually a full, and I know I need to be able to fuel effectively to be strong throughout those. I can't get away with underfueling like I did to BQ in a marathon last fall in those longer events (basically did 80g of carbs over 2:55).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He trained his gut (I asked my coach about this) and I think he was taking 135g per hour. I have used Skratch Labs and can take 75g per hour (I have tested this) without any practice (on the bike I have not tested it on the run). With a few months of training I don't see how I couldn't take close to that without my stomach blowing up (or the other end blowing up). :P

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'm curious...

I guess that's how ultramarathoners get used to eating pizza or cheeseburgers or Taco Bell [Camille] before heading out on the next leg of a100-miler

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'm curious...

I guess that's how ultramarathoners get used to eating pizza or cheeseburgers or Taco Bell [Camille] before heading out on the next leg of a100-miler

God that sounds awful.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Apr 14, 21 7:30
Quote Reply

Prev Next