Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bizarre post race symptom
Quote | Reply
After longer distance races (i.e. 1/2 IM / IM) the roof of my mouth (the soft palate) gets super inflamed, very tender, and burns when I try and eat anything. I spoke to an ear, nose and throat Dr. and a dentist and neither of them had any idea what it could be from. I did IMLP this weekend and am having the same symptoms again, but this time worse than ever before. Anyone out there get this besides me? Any ideas of what it could be from, how to get rid of it / make the pain go away? I only get this when I race, never when i am training (and yes, i eat the same nutrition when i race as when i train). Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [ToddH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sport drink issues?

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the exact same thing happen in the days following IM CdA last month. Far back roof of mouth - to the point where I could not enjoy the post-race meals that I had been looking forward to! Burned/hurt like hell. Same deal, ToddH... no issues during training - even on the longest of days. What was your nutrition on course? I was all liquid through the bike (First Endurance products - which was fantastic), then a touch more solid on the run (especially after IT Band issue forced a walk/run mary). Was trying to track it back to what I consumed, but can't figure it out.

rdvanfleet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if these apply, but I've seen issues similar to this with dehydration and also due to "funk" in the water.

Coach TJ Tryon - Open Water Swim Clinics | Facebook | @tjtryon

Ask me about: T3 Multisport | Gu Energy | Torhans | Xterra Wetsuits (discount code) | Karbon Speed - discount code: COACHTJ | Uvex Helmets
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [rdvanfleet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, post race pizza was not plesant at all!

My race nutrition is exactly the same as my training nutrition. For each loop of the bike i take in a bottle of a mixture of 5 scoops carbo pro, 2 scoops cytomax, and 2 salt pills. I also ate 2 powerbar gels and had about 4 additional salt pills on the bike. On the run I had some coke, a few oranges, 2 cookies, 3 powerbar gels, Iroman perform drink that was on the course and water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may train long but not the length of a race so onethought may be
heavy mouth breathing may dryout the tissue causing this something like chaped
lips but much more tender tissue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too!!! I've never been able to work out whats its from. I've only ever had it after an IM, never after a half or any training and never have anything different on race day.
I'm so glad I'm not alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [olddude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
olddude - i like your theory. A LOT of open-mouth breathing (far longer and w/out rests vs. long training days). seems to make sense.

next IM - keeping my mouth shut.

rdvanfleet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
olddude - i like your theory. A LOT of open-mouth breathing (far longer and w/out rests vs. long training days). seems to make sense.

next IM - keeping my mouth shut.

You can actually sunburn the roof of your mouth, too. I've done this on bluebird ski days with reflections off the snow. I don't know if there's enough UV coming up off the asphalt, though...

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have this too sometimes. I thought it may have something to do with all the sugar food or salt intake quantity during longer races. If it were from breathing air in & out I'd think that it would be more noticeable in short races where it is at a faster & more forced rate than in a long race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AAHHHH, I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!

Yeah, what the hell is the story with that anyway? I tried eating a slice of pepperoni after Madison and it felt like I was sucking down hot, acidic sandpaper.

As to the chapped lips/chapped mouth roof- can i just take a bunch of petrolium jelly, swish it around in my mouth and be good? Should I be eating a stick of chapstick (preferably berry-flavored) every 90 minutes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too experienced this from time to time, but my theory is that because I am breathing hard while swallowing, I swallow too hard and partially injure the lining where the soft back part meets the roof of my mouth. I have had times where it was just starting to hurt and I then swallowed my drink with less force and it did not get worse.

If we were drinking beer, we would not care!

Swimming is Tracking, Torque, Traction and Timing
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [red_and_black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any clue how long this lasts or anything that can be done to get the inflamation to go down? I have had a massive headache ever since the race on sunday!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this happen too. Only after IM distance, and only after Lou didn't have the problem after AZ or St.G. I'm not sure why, I have started taking an anti-gas tablet and pepcid on the run this may have helped, but it may have just been the greater heat in Lou.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this happen all the time after biking or running (or both!) long distances. I think it's all the raw air hitting the back of the throat.
Last edited by: nickwhite: Jul 28, 10 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try ora-jell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I got nothin'. I sucked on some crushed ice, helped a little, but that in itself was kinda uncomfortable. It went away for me after a few(3 to 4) days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
heavy mouth breathing may dryout the tissue causing this something like chaped
lips but much more tender tissue

I'm pretty sure it's this, plus excessive swallowing (save the jokes) from sipping water every couple of minutes for 5 hours straight

I had the same thing happen to me. After a 50k, was pissed I couldn't fully enjoy the entire pepperoni pizza I ate.

Race day conditions, nutrition, hydration and respiratory rate were identical to hundreds of other runs with only one exception: duration.

edited to add: how the eff do you train that?

Last edited by: Pants: Jul 28, 10 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me after IMCDA. I had EFS in a water bottle, and thought that I got the pain from sucking too hard to get it out...
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you go harder in a shorter race and breath harder and faster
but it is still a much shorter time period
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always attributed it to dehydration. The roof of my mouth would feel very rigid, kind of like a more veiny appearance when you're dehydrated. Drinking lots of water and minimal salt took care of mine in 3-4 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure this is what it is. I'm a Dentist. Your oral mucosa (skin inside your mouth) is incredibly thin and easy to damage. A combination of heavy breathing and drying the tissue is probably damaging it and causing it to slough away. On the bright side, it is also some the fastest tissue to regenerate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me on long races. I got to a point where I don't want to eat anything after the race (for a couple of hours) because is a real torture.

I even ask my dentist and she had no idea why this happen. I always thought that may be dehydration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL - i got that as well.

Monday and Tuesday it was hard to each anything without the roof of my mouth burning.
Quote Reply

Prev Next