Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bitterroot Trail in MT?
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be in MT for a few days next week visiting family, and I just found out that where I'm staying in Missoula is only a about a 1/2 mile from the Bitterroot Trail. I was wondering if anyone here has ridden this trail down to Hamilton and back and what intel you might have as far as stopping for food and filling bottles etc... How nice is the asphalt on the trails? Bathrooms etc... Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Bitterroot Trail in MT? [Technobuyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a great trail, pretty much follows HWY 93. It is all paved. Pave is in pretty good shape some pine cones and odd stuff on the path.Getting out of Missoula does have a number of cross intersections to keep a heads up on. Once over the Buckhouse Bridge (over the Bitterroot River) It is pretty clean riding. There a couple of port-a -potty along the way, but you pretty much go thru Lolo, Florence and can take a short detour to Stevensville if you want to eat, drink or go potty. To me the best stop is in Florence, Mt. It is right on the path and has great pie and serves breakfast all day. Called Glenn's. There is some sand on cross streets anywhere along the trail, not a problem but a heads up.

You didn't hear it from me but there are two sections in town that aren't quite open yet (as of last week) they are paved, but the city has crime scene tape and cones around the entrance. I think the city wants to have a grand opening. I am riding there today and let you know if that has changed. Looks like most everyone rides around the tape and continues along the trail. They are both short sections that had right away problems with an under used railroad tracks.

I ride single speed, fixed or with gears so hills aren't really a factor. Before you get to Lolo keep a lookout for the Bison heard on your left. They are just after a downhill a couple miles from Lolo town. If it is hot they hang in the trees, but somedays they are out in the open for all to see. Never thought I would see bison in the Bitterroot in my lifetime.

If you gravel grind you will find Pattee Canyon over the Deer Creek road to East Missoula a pretty fun ride. I did it on a road bike and sewups 50 years ago, but now usually ride it on my road bike with 28s or cross bike with 32s. I see people on 25s going over the course. Another fun ride is to go east of town and climb Marshal Canyon to an old ski area or continue out to Bonner, Mt and Turah, Mt. some on bike path other on the old hwy. When in town hit Clydes, Bernice' s, or any of the local coffee shops. They are all way better than the elephant sized one in the biz.

Kettle House, Tamerack and Draft Works are my fav brewerys and pints are 4-5$ Montana prices. Missoula Club is where 4 generations of my family eats burgers and got drunk when we were kids. A great dive bar is Charlie Bs and a local legend. Pictures on the walls of hard faces from hard times by Lee Nye (local legend). 5 on Black is a great lunch spot downtown too serving Brazilian style rice bowls. Everyone stops at Big Dipper for ice-cream. Hope that helps
Quote Reply
Re: Bitterroot Trail in MT? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome Sir!

Thanks so much for the information! I've been to Missoula quite a few times, but only once in the Summer, and that was many years ago before I started riding. I had no idea there was so much good riding to be had there, or I would have made Summer trips a priority sooner. Looking at the Strava heat map shows there's alot going on!

I'm just going to be on pretty basic road bike I'm renting from Missoula Bicycle Works for the 3 days I'll have to ride. Shooting for doing about 1/2 way to Hamilton and back on the first day, down and back the whole distance day 2, and then another 1/2 or so day 3. Next Summer I'll have to plan better and get my bikes up there with me.

My inlaws live slightly out of town off Hayes Creek Road. They told me it's tough to cross the highway there to get over to the trail, so I guess I'll have to figure that out. If you have any advice there I'd appreciate it!

I'll be printing your post and keeping with me. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That could be pretty tough to cross over 93 at that spot. It would probably be easiest to track back toward Missoula to the crossing at Blue Mountain Rd. There's a light and a crosswalk that could save you some headache. It's about a mile of riding along 93 (which has a decent shoulder) back to that crossing. You could also park in the parking lot of The Peak gym, which is right on that corner.

Enjoy the ride!

Ps, It's a false flat for a pretty big chunk on your way to Hamilton, so nevermind your avg
speed on the way out.

Edited: looked up distance to Peak
Last edited by: derailleur'd: Jul 17, 18 4:57
Quote Reply
Re: Bitterroot Trail in MT? [derailleur'd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Derailleurr'd! I'll probably do the backtrack on the shoulder option.

It looks like I could go up the hill on their street, and then hop onto a little bit of trail, and then make my way over to that intersection the back way, but I don't know how feasible it is to ride that little trail segment on a road bike. Even with the false flat, the elevation gain doesn't look too bad for the 45 miles or so. It's actually less than on my 45 mi loop around here. Plus hopefully I can make good time on the way back! :-) Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from riding to Stevensville. The in town sections are open now so that isn 't a factor.
I stopped on the trail where you would cross and it is doable. You have about 200 yards of 4 lane with a big middle lane then the concrete divider starts, if you turned Rt out of Haynes. Because there is a stoplight at the Peak Fitness center every couple minutes there is a pause in traffic Lolo bound. If you rode on the shoulder toward Lolo and got half way across during the pause then got sheltered by the concrete divider, you only have 2 lanes to cross. That may not work during rush hour, but I think it is safer than the shoulder into traffic route. Have fun in Zootown,
Quote Reply
Re: Bitterroot Trail in MT? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gman! I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to look at it for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bitterroot trail is nice. If you want to ride somewhere else, Jesse @ MBW will help you out. Or the Owner (Alex) can point you in the right direction as well.

Jesse leads a group ride from MBW @ 5:30pm on Wednesday, it's a faster ride, and everyone is invited.

Enjoy Missoula!
Quote Reply
Re: Bitterroot Trail in MT? [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks oprfcc! The folks at MBW have been great to deal with via email in setting up the rental bike. I've only got 3 days of riding, and with Bitterroot so close, I may not make to other rides on this trip. I shoulda made this trip longer. I had no idea it was going to turn into such a ride bonanza!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update... Did the 80 mile loop to Hamilton yesterday! Really nice on the way down! Heat and headwinds surprised me on the way back. Thought I’d be faster on the way back. Nope. Drank 1 bottle on way down with no stops. Like 5 on the way back with 2 stops. Awesome country and that trail from a safety standpoint is gold.

Thanks again for intel guys. Very helpful. I plan on riding every morning, though not all the way to Hamilton. If you see a big guy on a gray rented cannondale give a wave! 😀
Quote Reply