Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Biking in Boca and Del Ray
Quote | Reply
Dear Floridians :-)
I am training for IMNZ (March 6th), I am now only 7 weeks out. It is difficult to train in this Philly weather so I have decided to pack up my bike fly down to Fl and stay with a friend in Del Ray. I will be in town on Friday Jan. 23 and will be looking for someone to ride with (or at least show me where to ride to) for a 6 hour ride on Saturday Jan. 24th. Obviously, I will have to ride solo toward the end of the ride...do to the fact that unless someone is training for a Spring IM...they will not want to go 6 hrs. So, is there ANYONE out there that would be willing to show me where to ride or ride with me for a bit...in addition to showing me where to go...I would love the company...(it always seems to make the ride more enjoyable).
I am a 5:15-5:30 IM bike split rider....this DOES NOT mean that I will be riding this hard for this ride...I just wanted to give you an idea as to my ability...I will be happy to ride YOUR pace.
I look forward to hearing from anyone down there in WARM Florida :-)
Again, please know that I will NOT be hammering along at 21-22 mph...I will go YOUR pace.
Thank you in advance,
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Biking in Boca and Del Ray [MDS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have two choices to ride in Delray, north of A1A along the beach or south on A1A along the beach. From Atlantic Blvd and A1A in Delray it is 22 mile north to the end of A1A. If you go south to the 17th Street Bridge it is about 25 miles. The roads in South Florida that travel east and west have a lot of traffic although sometimes A1A is not much better.

A group of us meet at A1A and Las Olas which is about 23 miles south of Delray at 8am on Saturday morning. We will ride north anyahere from 20 to 40 miles up. I have a 70 mile ride scheduled but choose not to commit until a week out. The group will meet no matter. You could ride south and meet the group and then ride north?

The speed varies. Since it is so early in the season we have been trying to keep it slow. The average will probably be 19 to 20 although it would better meet my training schedule if it were a little slower. Let me know your email and I will keep you posted. Hope this helps. You may want to post this on trinewbies.com as there is a large contingent of South Florida folks on it.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Biking in Boca and Del Ray [Steve in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in Michigan and also training for an IM (USA). I'll be down in the same area the week following Easter. I'll be looking to hook up with others.

What the mind can conceive and believe, the body will achieve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I am in town that weekend, I would be happy to join you, though I am way too slow for you.

You should check out the Boca club at http://www.geocities.com/johnkwas40/rides.html

Drop me a message if you are interested in a 6.5 hour IM bike split kind of guy on a good day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michael,

I live in Delray, and ride A1A all the time, altho' of course :~), the weekend you are here, I have to work, so no long early rides for me that weekend. That said, if you get onto A1A around daybreak and ride north, I reckon you'll hook up with any number of rides out at that time. There's a (fast) group leaves from Boca (Palmetto/A1A) around 7, so you could ride south and start with them, ride all the way to Palm Beach Inlet, back to Ft Lauderdale, and back to Delray, should give you close to 100. Plenty of places for drink and food refills, traffic not too bad north but south can become a little hectic later in the morning. If you call me when you get here, I could also confirm whether and when some of my mates are riding, and you could hook up with them (561-573-0658). As it happens, I'll be in NZ when IMNZ is on, but not doing it, but may well take a drive down from Auckland to catch it from the sidelines.

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live up in Jupiter where there's great riding and no cars. It's about 40 minutes from Delray. I'll be riding every weekend day, so we could hook up whenever if you want. If we get started early, I'm good for 3-4 hours...Just let me know. Later

PS, 75 and sunny today...
Quote Reply