Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Biking San Diego to Palm Springs?
Quote | Reply
I have to drop someone off at the airport and thought I could use it as an excuse for a long point to point ride. They could meet me there and then I can drive home. Trade a few hours in the car for a bunch on the saddle.

Has anyone biked from SD to PS? I did a quick google map and I couldn’t tell if the route was any good.

Curious if anyone has a route in mind.

Doesn’t need to be a pretty ride. I just don’t want to get run over.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Biking San Diego to Palm Springs? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe check out the RAAM route?

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
less elevation gain/ loss -- basically frontage roads San Diego to Escondido to Temecula to Hemet, to Moreno Valley to Palm Springs. You can avoid some of the traffic, some places it's tricky finding the route away from heavy traffic.

A lot more elevation gain/loss -- basically frontage roads San Diego to Escondido to Temecula and then up and over the mountains by way of Anza and down the Palms to Pines hill to Palm Desert/Palm Springs. This is by far the most interesting/trilling/"less traffic" way to go. Either way it's a long, hard way. Depending on your actual start/finish point, closer to 120 +/- miles, a full day plus, depending on your strength. Either way, watch out and be extra alert for crazy, in a hurry drivers.

Enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes many times! OLD 395 to HWY 79 IN Temecula than make a right (371) towards ANZA and than a RT on 74 (cafe). Its 100 from Encinitas. its a grinder than downhill into ANZA, clib back out than a GREAT last 15 or so STRIGHT DOWN and curvy roads. GO EARLY in the day to avoid idiots as in 1st light leave SD!

**** no there is a barely a shoulder from outside Temecula to Anza but its 'fine:,,, again early is the key
Quote Reply
Re: Biking San Diego to Palm Springs? [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Biking San Diego to Palm Springs? [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome advice! This seems kind of close to what google offered up.

I will probably leave before dawn and rely on my light while still close enough to home to be on some familiar roads.

If some of these are the roads I’m thinking of then they are single lane for long stretches with pull overs every so often. People get pretty impatient / distracted.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ehh. Your right, I’ve been maybe honked at once ,,, there is a store about 200 yards before the left to Anza , creepy place but you should stop, or the ice cream, pull up before that (signs ) cause really only those 2 places from Temecula to Anza, than zero from Anza to the 111. It’s a great ride. You’ll love it
Quote Reply