Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bikes with steeper seat angle than BMC TMO1?
Quote | Reply
Anybody know what bikes allow a steeper seat angle than a BMC TMO1 or how I could find out online? I've got my saddle pushed all the way forward and on the foremost bolt, but still need a few more centimeters. Websites list the seat tube angles, but that's not the same as the max you can push the assembly to the front. I live in a small town with no tri shops, so going around to test fit is a weekend trip & huge pain in the ass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes with steeper seat angle than BMC TMO1? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's listed in the stack & reach charts on this site.

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct me if my understanding of this whole situation is wrong but I think BMCTM01 bikes are made with UCI's regulations in mind, thus not allowing the adjustments for the saddle being able to be moved too far forward.
Some of these TT bikes come with reserve seatposts (eg. Shiv TT) for the triathlon market.

With that said, I think most of the "UCI-illegal" tri bikes would allow a steeper seat angle then the BMC.
I ride a Blue Triad that allows the nose of the saddle to extend beyond the BB center, and that's not even using the foremost saddle bolt setting, so you can start there (tho I wouldn't be confident about buying a Blue now)

--------------
"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QR CD0.1/Illicito is fairly steep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride my Illicito at somewhere around 84deg of STA. That's pretty steep.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes with steeper seat angle than BMC TMO1? [imjustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured out using the max seat angle of the BMC (79 degrees from this site) that some bikes will allow up to 3 more degrees of max seat angle. Then I found this calculator to give the actual distance I could move the seat forward if I changed from the BMC to another bike. http://www.1728.org/angsize.htm Looks like I could get an inch and a half with a Cervelo and an inch with a bunch of different bikes. Thanks!

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or a cheaper option would be to get an Adamo (if you aren't on one already) to get you that few cm you need, effectively steepening your actual seat post angle. No need to change bikes!

--------------
"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't."
Quote Reply
Re: Bikes with steeper seat angle than BMC TMO1? [imjustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the BMC bolt pattern, I'm just going to a machine shop and have them make a piece that bolts to the top and extends forward a few couple of inches to bolt/clamp the seat to. $75 an hour to make that instead of buying a new frame, which my spousal unit would kill me over. I'm guessing this is triathlon legal since nearly everything else is?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different saddles have different length rails and also different saddle position relative to the rails. Maybe a different saddle would be easier than a new bike. I think saddles like the ISM adamo may allow you to get the saddle further forward than other saddles. I also think that some of the dash saddles have very long rails, they are expensive but probably cheaper than a new bike.
Quote Reply