Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike upgrade and time advantage
Quote | Reply
I'm just getting back at it after an 8 year layoff. Here are a few particulars.
- 55-60 age group
- current bike, 2008 Cervelo P 2C , Zipp 808, 404 and cables rerouted through top tube giving it a very clean front end.
- first race back is 2019 Victoria 70.3.
- my ability to stay injury free and achieve a decent result will determine my decision to continue at 70.3 and plan my third full IM.
I am looking at a possible upgrade to a Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 1. I can move my race wheels and stay within the price range I am willing to spend.
Question,all things equal (fitness, fit) what would be my time savings over 90 and 180 km?
I am looking at this in terms of advantage and have no problem staying with what I have if the gains are minimal.
Like I have said before, Good enough for Chrissie, good enough for me!

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Bike upgrade and time advantage [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
time savings over 40k would probably amount to less than 20-30s.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike upgrade and time advantage [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! So 60 seconds over a 70.3. I'll swim straighter, work on my transition and take the family on an Alaskan cruise after Victoria.

My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep in mind, mine was an educated guess. more important than your wheels would be the handlebar you have on your p2. if that's already a "superbar" then i see little point in upgrading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what the storage abilities are of the Trinity, but I can say for the money, you probably won't gain much in aero. I would take that money and put in a Di2 groupset and call it a day.

I had a 2012 P2 and went to a 2015 SC and gained maybe 45sec. I switched for the storage options for the 70.3 and IM.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting question

I compiled all the potential gain / losses for all elements. In very short (as it take a full excel file) :

For a relatively flat 70.3 at 33 km/h

Drag :
most important part is you and your position (around 75% of drag). Optimizing your position, with fitted tri-suit and adequate helmet, will make most of the difference. Without any reference, difficult to quantify savings, but easily 5/10 minutes if your position can be improved significanlty

Really optimized frame will gain around 3 mn

Your wheels are already optimized

Keep your bottles hidden (between arms, behind saddle).

Rolling resistance :
Good tyres vs training tyre :
moving from solid Michelin Power Endurance to GP 4000s2 will give you around 4mn. Moving to GP TT 4 mn less.

Friction :
ceramic 11 teeths pulley wheels : 1mn
oversized pulley wheels : 2mn

Many elements more significant than the frame !

Hope it help.

Phil
Quote Reply
Re: Bike upgrade and time advantage [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic information...thank you

My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Bike upgrade and time advantage [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Interesting question

I compiled all the potential gain / losses for all elements. In very short (as it take a full excel file) :

For a relatively flat 70.3 at 33 km/h

Drag :
most important part is you and your position (around 75% of drag). Optimizing your position, with fitted tri-suit and adequate helmet, will make most of the difference. Without any reference, difficult to quantify savings, but easily 5/10 minutes if your position can be improved significanlty

Really optimized frame will gain around 3 mn

Your wheels are already optimized

Keep your bottles hidden (between arms, behind saddle).

Rolling resistance :
Good tyres vs training tyre :
moving from solid Michelin Power Endurance to GP 4000s2 will give you around 4mn. Moving to GP TT 4 mn less.

Friction :
ceramic 11 teeths pulley wheels : 1mn
oversized pulley wheels : 2mn

Many elements more significant than the frame !

Hope it help.

Phil

Great info

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your bike is still relevant. Make sure your race wheels have good latex tubes in them (or your tubulars), take a few dollars & buy a new aero helmet, you'll be about the same as the new bikes. Best to save the $$ and put it in your 401K & get a new bike fit, train smart and consistently, good to go.

If you're on 9 speed that's one thing, you've missed 2 gears in 10 years. Possibly 3 if you wait another year or two--Campy is up to 12. Good luck & welcome back.
Quote Reply