Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike training question
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I was told by a fellow triathlete due to the crazy braking systems on tribikes/weird ergo that training on a regular road bike would be beneficial to people with bad backs, and then reserving the tri bike for race day.

Does this seem valid to you all?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike training question [TriathNERD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread might just get interesting.....the answer is Yes. No. Maybe. Sometimes.

What the hell is weird about brakes on a Tri bike and how do they alter your back comfort?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by TriathNERD [ In reply to ]
Re: Bike training question [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brakes not being right up next to the shifters. I was told that is the reason that regular road cyclists get weird when you ride with them on a tribike because its some weird safety thing or its perceived as that- I dont know. I'm still new.

I have a really bad lower back- and the leaning over causes a crap load of pain.
Last edited by: TriathNERD: Jul 30, 12 22:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is partially true. If you have lower back pain then you need to get a proper fit by someone who can take that into consideration - be it on a road bike or on a Tri bike. I often ride with roadies, in the group on a Tri bike...they know I know what the hell it is that I am doing. Has more to do with your ability and how well they trust you to be near them.

That being said, I know many folks with lower back issues that have had great luck with TitanFlex bikes - they simply never look back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's because if they look back they will see a ton of people laughing at how rediculous their bike looks
Quote Reply
Re: Bike training question [Blatant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet - by your perception the Titan Flex is in front of you then right? Oddly, I get the feeling that most of the pack has been in front of you for your entire life.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't triathlon all about having the best looking gear with the inability to use it affectively?

I probably should put it in pink or something so you know I'm taking the piss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriathNERD wrote:
Hey all,

I was told by a fellow triathlete due to the crazy braking systems on tribikes/weird ergo that training on a regular road bike would be beneficial to people with bad backs, and then reserving the tri bike for race day.

What they mean is this:

1. It is unsafe to ride a tri bike in a group of roadies because when in the aero position, you have to completely shift your hands over in order to use your brakes. In a group, you will likely be too late and will probably crash into the person in front of you.
2. The aero position causes more back forward flexion in some cases (depends on how steep you are riding). In other cases though, it does not and the upper body support from leaning on the elbow pads can actually be easier on your back than a road bike. It depends on your position. Get fit by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Third point, this is a VERY good reason for strength trainng, a much better reason than trying to use strength training to put more power to the pedals.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Bike training question [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took a test ride on a slice, it was comfortable, I tried out a different saddle and that helped a lot.

I think that the aero bars are going to take the most getting used to though- its kinda awkward in the beginning :/
Last edited by: TriathNERD: Aug 5, 12 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad I have the option of having to decide which type of bike to ride on a given day. I do hilly rides on my road bike or when I'm riding with my roadie friends...not all roadies hate triathletes. When I'm working on more specific intervals then I'm on the tri bike since that's what I'll be riding come race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike training question [saluki32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I'm doing sprints nothing longer could I use things like drop bars and the like aero bars are kinda awkward
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So do you have a road bike right now? If so a zero offset or forward seat post will help your positioning along with adding aero bars. You won't have the full aero properties of a tri bike (unless your road bike is a cervelo s series or felt ar series), these two changes will make a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriathNERD wrote:
Since I'm doing sprints nothing longer could I use things like drop bars and the like aero bars are kinda awkward

Depends how fast you want to go. Drops are better than hoods which are better than tops, but aero bars will beat them all (if all else is equal obviously).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriathNERD wrote:
Hey all,

The Wife is on her 3rd bike since chronic back probs. First 2 were roadies, now she's on a tri. Her position is not very aggressive. She's a bit more upright and not at all aero but most ST standards. But, she is comfortable and is willing to ride the bike a lot more often. Her position is relaxed and the added support of her body while on the aero bars works wonders for her.

So, I'd recommend that your friend ride the bike that is the most comfortable and hurts less. This may mean adjusting the fit from the ideal aero.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply