Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike sizing for a New Zealander
Quote | Reply
I am from Christchurch New Zealand and I am looking for a TT/Tri Bike for Half IM distance events
The challenge I have is that with our small country (in most cases) if I want to test or try a Tri/TT bike I have to buy it. I cannot go to the local Felt shop and ride an IA, or the local Specialized dealer and ride a Shiv. I need to buy it and they will get it in for me. I need to be sure about what I order.

This is where the challenge is
What size do I need to buy or which bike is the best fit option for me.
"Get a bike fitter to tell me what I need" is the catch phrase. So far all the bike fitters I have tried have said they can set up an existing bike for me. I read on here that many of you have access to a fitter who will recommend a best option bike based upon fit numbers. I have never had a bike fit done in the past.

Available options I have found suitable for price are as follows
2019/2020 Canyon Speedmax CF direct from Canyon - I am thinking the XS, not 100% sure on which model, 7.0, 8.0. 8.0SL
2020 Specialized Shiv Elite from LBS - I am thinking XS
2020 Felt IA Advanced from LBS - I am thinking 48cm
2020 Trek Speed Concept from LBS - I am thinking Small
2019 Argon18 E117+ from Merlin and build the bike from the ground up. - I am thinking XS

I am not to worried about the component spec on any of the bikes as I can always upgrade that at a later date. My primary concern is getting the best fitting option for me.
I am 164cm tall
I am of average flexibility
I weigh 64kg

What else do I need to provide to get an indication of size from any fit experts.

Regards
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing for a New Zealander [GTNeil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you going to be in the mid-north island anytime soon?
I have a fit bike and motion capture
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing for a New Zealander [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easter in Napier next year......
Might be able to squeeze something sooner potentially. Especially if it saves me money in the long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can post a video of you riding your current TT bike on a trainer, there are a bunch of people here that can tell you what needs to be changed in your position.

Then it is just a matter of a few measurements and we can tell you which frames will work best for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've debated this myself and with my tt bike now under my son (how do these kids grow so fast?) I'm getting desperate for a tt frame and would need a fitting. If there wasn't a FIST or Velogic fit in Dunner's (I don't think there is) I'd consider a cheap flight up for a fit with cyclenut.

Last edited by: jasonmac: Oct 25, 19 23:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outside Sports in Wanaka have a fit bike and Scott there should be able to size you up if you were able to drive down? They are a Specialized dealer but should be able to just give you your fit co-ordinates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice is fly to Auckland and drive to Cambridge (Cyclenutnz). You’ll come away from that knowing exactly what bikes will fit you and what won’t. The cost of the flight will be negligible vs buying and selling a bike that doesn’t fit properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike sizing for a New Zealander [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
My advice is fly to Auckland and drive to Cambridge (Cyclenutnz). You’ll come away from that knowing exactly what bikes will fit you and what won’t. The cost of the flight will be negligible vs buying and selling a bike that doesn’t fit properly.

What he said. I flew down from the Cook Islands for the Tauranga HIM earlier this year and drove over the Cambridge for a Cyclenutz fit after he was recommended on this forum. My bike fit (for an existing bike) is great and way more comfy. Can't say if its faster as no racing since then. It is well worth the time and expense getting to Cambridge to get fitted by one of the best and the price was very reasonable too. Hang off buying that bike until you have the fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the states but cyclenutnz on this forum who has been recommended to you is one of the very, very few go to people I trust when it comes to all things bikes.

If I needed a fit and was visiting my family in AUS, I'd not hesitate to fly to the N island for that.
Even though I'm in the US, if I decide to buy a new bike, he'd be one of about 3-5 people I'd reach out to to help answer any questions I had

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 27, 19 9:40
Quote Reply