Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike size: mountain v. road
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have recommendations on sizing between mountain and road bikes? Meaning, I'm a 52-54 depending on the road bike, but I haven't bought a new mountain bike for ages and have no idea what my size is. (I'll go get fitted, but I'm seeing a bunch of cool used bikes up for sale and wondering if it's worth taking any for a spin.) Also - was chatting with a buddy of mine last night who said that for road bikes, you want the 'biggest frame for your size' and for mountain bikes, you want the 'smallest frame for your size.' Any comments on that?

Cheers! ~geek
Quote Reply
Re: Bike size: mountain v. road [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I can say is the advice your friend gave you is terrible. Your best bet is to go to a reliable shop and get fitted. Mountain bikes all have different sizing methodology so you cannot just go on a sizing number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the advice regarding road bike sizing sounds a little daffy, but it might be reasonable for mtb sizing. It depends on what/how you intend to ride. If you're going to be doing technical stuff, downhill, freeride, etc... then you definitely want something a little smaller so you can maneuver and use body english. If you intend to race, then you probably want to go a little larger and stretch out a little.

Short answer: kinda depends :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a 51cm road and used to ride 16", 17.5" mtb. I was out of touch for a while from the mtb biking scene and noticed that the newer frames are all switching to this "genesis" geometry crap. (longer top tubes) Don't forget though, there's a lot more play in mtb parts - I've seen 0cm stems, and you can cut your handlebars to the width you'd like etc.

I agree, I think I saved myself from becoming impotent with a smaller frame. also its just easier to bail from your bike if its smaller and lighter... I guess I'm also thinking back to more downhilling and I'd say that at least 40% of the time I'm out of saddle coasting over the terrain so frame size doesn't make a diff at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike size: mountain v. road [deechee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mountain bikes should be sized on top tube length, just as you would size a road bike. A rule of thumb is that the saddle to handlebar distance on a road bike should be close to your saddle to hood distance on the road bike. If you are going to be riding more technical terrain then having a shorter top tube enables you to get your weight back behind the bike for steep descents.

I disagree about the longer top tubes, you are supposed to run a shorter stem, which gives you the same position. By having a longer top tube the front wheel is placed further ahead = less chance of an endo over the handlebars.

For reference my road bike has a 54cm top tube with a 10cm stem, my mountain bike has a 22.25 inch top tube which works out to about 57cm with a 9cm stem. My mountain bike also has the handlebars at the height of the saddle. This enables me to roll 2' drops without endoing (e.g. telegraph trail at South Mountain in Phoenix.

Downhillers will run even shorter top tubes with basically a stem anchored to the steerer tube. (of course the bikes have a 66-67 degree head angle)
Quote Reply