Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike shopping and fit
Quote | Reply
Someone get me straight on this bike fit thing. I haven't been reading this board long, but have become convinced about the importance of fit. My questions are when and how this happens.

If I already have a bike, should I go get "fitted" on it? Does the same go for my mountain bike?

If I'm in the market for a bike, should I get "fitted" before I decide what kind of bike I need? Here's the deal. There is no LBS in my area with tri-bikes in inventory. Would they (the LBS with only road bikes) put me on a size cycle, come up with measurements, then recommend frames with these measurements? Since anything I buy will be ordered, can I take these measurements and study catalogs and websites to find an appropriate frame?

If I'm taking the conversation backwards, just let me know and I'll post this at trinewbies. Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shopping and fit [BillT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bill, Here's the process we use:\
Step one: Customer visits store in person and is measured and asked specific questions about how the bike will be used . This information is used to prescribe the best fitting bike (size, brand and model) for their dimensions and application. At this point they buy the bike.
Step two: Whether the bike is in stock here in our store or must be ordered is irrelevant- at this point we need to configure the bikes specifically for the client who purchased it. Now we build the to those specifications.
Step three: The bike is finished and the customer is positioned on the bike while pedalling on an indooor trainer. A number of joint angle measurements are taken, their pedals and shoes are adjusted, and they are briefed on the function of quick releases, gears (including crossover gears and shifting technique). they are asked a number of questions about their impressions of the bike once the correct position has been established. Following the final fit the bike goes back in the shop area for a delivery checklist, which is then completed and the written delivery checklist is signed off on by the attending mechanic and the customer signs the seven part liability waiver and Buyer's agreemtn and is given their owner's manual and we help them load up their bike inside their vehicle. That's the process we use based on 21 years expereince in the bike industry. We have found it produces the best long-term ownership experience and insures a high degree of quality control. It is streamlined but does involve two visits. When a customer is spending $1000+ on a triathloon or road bike we fel that investment in time (from us and the customer) is warranted and a good investment to make sure their first ride, 50th ride and 1000th ride is as good as we are able to make it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shopping and fit [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom -

Any interest in opening a shop in Houston? :) We could really use a shop that cares enough to go through a process like this with each customer. We've got decent shops and quite a few bikes to choose from, but nobody that really understands fit and service after the sale.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shopping and fit [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I have enough trouble running this one....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to add my two cents worth on the subject of bike fitment. I bought my tri bike at a reputable source and had the bike fitted. I fell to the hype that is often shown about notable bike professionals and decided to make sure that my bike was set up by (one of the best)

I travelled across several states to visit this person, paid my money and had the changes made. I am now recovering from the stresses that were placed on my knees from the new fitment.

There was no way that I could ride my bike for an extended period after the fitment where this bike professional was located. Subsequent e mails to this person were never returned.

I say all that to say this. If you are going to have your bike fitted to you, do so where you can easily go back for adjustments. Don't take a persons paper reputation as gospel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bill,

Decide what you want to do over the next 2-3 years -- what you will actually be using the bike for. Armed with, "these are my goals" let the folks up at Bicycle Sports in Shreveport, relatively speaking you are in the nieghborhood, put you on the right bike based on your goals. It might be the bike you've got or you may be asked to consider spending 2-3-4 large. Getting Cobb, Dave, or whoever up there to fit you, you will eliminate the thought, am I on the right bike? is it the right fit? You'll just be able to go train and race. It's worth it in the long run, and it might be cheaper as well.
Quote Reply