Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike shoes coming off in T2
Quote | Reply
How do you stop you're shoes flying of the bike after demounting and running into T2? It's happened twice now to me! The shoes fly around as the cranks spin and the show flys off! I've never seen it happen to anyone else. Am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shoes coming off in T2 [Boomwhacker1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would try replacing you bike shoe cleats. They are probably really worn. It is a pretty cheap fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boomwhacker1 wrote:
How do you stop you're shoes flying of the bike after demounting and running into T2? It's happened twice now to me! The shoes fly around as the cranks spin and the show flys off! I've never seen it happen to anyone else. Am I missing something?

Use your foot to tap one shoe so that the crank arms are parallel to the ground before you run with your bike. The shoes then won't contact the ground (which is what causes the shoes to come off).

And for God's sake, man, check your spelling.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shoes coming off in T2 [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also just practice a bit and be mindful about what is going on. For instance there are a few reasons why cranks might rotate when you are running alongside pushing your bike. You can check that bit very quickly. If the cranks are rotating then when the heel of a bike shoe hits the ground it can be spun anti-clockwise very quickly and then jam when it comes back around and hits the ground. If that is what is happening then you need to figure out why the cranks spin, which might be something simply like a sticky freewheel. But that is a specific example, I'd run through it a few times and try and get a picture of exactly what is happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The comments regarding the sticky freehub and tapping the cranks level are the solutions for your problem. Also, the longer your cranks are and the closer your cleats are to the toe the less margin you have for error.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My shoes nail the ground using my roadbike. TT bike has 165 cranks and that 1cm makes all the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shoes coming off in T2 [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha! Sorry about that! That's because I was typing it on the treadmill and didn't check it! He he! Thanks for the advice, I'll try that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been happening to me recently as well. I have new cleats, but I do a flying dismount so one pedal is necessarily in the down position after I get off. Also I wear size 12 shoes with 172.5 cranks, that probably doesn't help. I will have to practice setting the shoes parallel after dismounting (if it can be done quickly) and see if that helps.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on the pedals you use, you might be able to adjust them so you require more force to get in and out of them. That's what I did... solved the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shoes coming off in T2 [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tulkas wrote:
This has been happening to me recently as well. I have new cleats, but I do a flying dismount so one pedal is necessarily in the down position after I get off. Also I wear size 12 shoes with 172.5 cranks, that probably doesn't help. I will have to practice setting the shoes parallel after dismounting (if it can be done quickly) and see if that helps.

I assume you are dismounting on the left in the usual fashion. As your right foot is about to touch down, very slightly “kick” (like pulling through while pedaling) the left pedal back to set the cranks parallel to the ground.
Quote Reply