Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike roof rack slipping
Quote | Reply
My bike roof rack continues slipping back when on long drives in the car (higher speed / long distance / rattling of bumps in road combo I guess).
I have tightened it down as far as I can.
Has this happened to anyone else and did you resolve it somehow?
I've thought about throwing some caulk of some sort between the clamps before tightening down but then thought it may degrade the material over time? Then considered some hairspray to make it very sticky prior (but assume that will wash away over time)?
Suggestions? Thoughts?
I'm worried this eventually ends in disaster and I'm not going to let that happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike roof rack slipping [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happened to a good friend of mine, we were traveling back from Northern CA to LA after doing the Death Ride, and we just happened to pull in to a gas station at the grape vine and we looked and it was just barely hanging on to the roof gutter, nearly lost 3 decent bikes. We repositioned the rack and tightened it down there but in the end my friend ended up brazing on a couple of bumps into the gutter to prevent it from sliding back, he never really had any other problems with it after that, but it wasn't often he had 3 bikes on the rack either. Good luck with your fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike roof rack slipping [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what rack is this, and how does it attach - what do the clamps, clamp on to ?

I have a cheap set of crossbars that clamps on to the existing roof rails, and found these slid back even though the clamps have rubber pads.
Wrapped some gaffer tape around the rails and re-clamped. The tape sticks to the rails and the clamps seem to have a better purchase on it, there I fixed it..

Never had any slippage problems with roof racks clamped onto gutters, or the Yakima towers with landing pads. But a set of racks for the truck would have been over $1k from Yakima or Thule, not going to put that much money on an old used truck..
Quote Reply
Re: Bike roof rack slipping [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds like the exact same rack / situation. I will give that a shot!!
Thanks!!
Quote Reply