Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike mirror use during race allowed?
Quote | Reply
I was under the impression that having a rear view mirror on your bike during a race was against USAT rules. Something implemented after a cheater used one to look for marshals while he was drafting. But I didn’t find anything in the rule book listing them as prohibited. I have one on my bike that I use in training and it’s not easy to remove so I was just going to leave it on. Also thinking it would be beneficial since most race roads are not closed to traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike mirror use during race allowed? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My upcoming race specifically lists mirrors under illegal equipment in the "top 10 roles broken section".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironmans view on the subject (which is easily found on their website)

(i) Helmet mirrors or mirrors attached to the bike or body (collectively, "mirrors") may be used by athletes during the Race, provided, however, that (A) prior to the Race, the athlete must first notify the head official of athlete’s intent to use or possess such mirrors during the Race, and (B) any athlete using or possessing a mirror during the Race will be ineligible to receive awards including, without limitation, World Championship entry slots. Using or possessing mirrors during the Race without providing prior notification to the head referee will result in disqualification
https://www.ironman.com/...%2014mar2019%201.pdf

Quote Reply
Re: Bike mirror use during race allowed? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m referring to USAT rules, not Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about USAT rules. Ironman, however, has many rule dispensations that vary from USAT. You may only use a mirror if you are not in the race for awards or slots. MOP/BOP can use mirrors all they want, just notify the ref in advance so you aren't DQd.

From Ironman 2019 Competition rules:

(i) Helmet mirrors or mirrors attached to the bike or body (collectively, “mirrors”) may be used by athletes during the Race, provided, however, that (A) prior to the Race, the athlete must first notify the head official of athlete’s intent to use or possess such mirrors during the Race, and (B) any athlete using or possessing a mirror during the Race will be ineligible to receive awards including, without limitation, World Championship entry slots. Using or possessing mirrors during the Race without providing prior notification to the head referee will result in disqualification;
Quote Reply
Re: Bike mirror use during race allowed? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I think that’s were the confusion is coming from. I don’t really care about the Ironman rules, just what is allowed in a USAT race. So mirrors are not illegal in USAT races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
I’m referring to USAT rules, not Ironman.

Ironman put the rule in place because of a notorious cheater well known for both doping and using his mirror to draft. I do not see any such restriction in the USAT competitive rules. You are free to use the mirror for whatever in USAT races.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike mirror use during race allowed? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having been a ref on the bike course on the back of a harley davidson with full on exhaust and still ending up penalising more than half the lead female 'pack' I am skeptical that mirrors or no mirrors really change people's behaviour.... Riding beside them and telling them they were too close for 30km before I finally lost my patience with them still elicited a "what? Me? No, not I" response from the first person that I pinged. Who was pretty much in danger of losing the tread off her front tyre given how close it was to the person at the front of the line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a USAT sanctioned race today...lots of mirrors.

Mostly these were folks on mountain bikes with the mirror that sticks off the bar end, or a BOPer on a road bike with a helmet mirror. I actually appreciated this, as these folks were more likely to move right when I came by (multi-loop course, so lots of passing). I didn't see any "serious" riders (tri bike, carbon wheels, aero helmet, etc.) with mirrors. I think it would be difficult to ban mirrors given the large number of non-racers who have these as part of their regular bike setup and wouldn't even think there would be a rule against it.

For the FOPers, there is always the sneaky option hidden inside glasses or a helmet visor:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
Ok, I think that’s were the confusion is coming from. I don’t really care about the Ironman rules, just what is allowed in a USAT race. So mirrors are not illegal in USAT races.

In USAT sanctioned races, mirrors are allowed. There is no explicit prohibition in the rules against mirrors.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike mirror use during race allowed? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Having been a ref on the bike course on the back of a harley davidson with full on exhaust and still ending up penalising more than half the lead female 'pack' I am skeptical that mirrors or no mirrors really change people's behaviour.... Riding beside them and telling them they were too close for 30km before I finally lost my patience with them still elicited a "what? Me? No, not I" response from the first person that I pinged. Who was pretty much in danger of losing the tread off her front tyre given how close it was to the person at the front of the line.

Mirrors only make it easier to draft, but certainly don't eliminate it. I was racing IM Switzerland a few years back and there was a small group of 3 riders about 30 meters or so ahead of me. I maintained my pace and distance behind them for a few miles and the third guy in that pack was wheel sucking the entire time. And I thought he was going to get a kink in his neck from constantly turning back to check for refs. Eventually a ref did come, but sadly they flagged the number 2 guy who wasn't drafting quite as blatantly as the last third from what I could see. Thanks for serving as a ref!!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike mirror use during race allowed? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Did a USAT sanctioned race today...lots of mirrors.

Mostly these were folks on mountain bikes with the mirror that sticks off the bar end, or a BOPer on a road bike with a helmet mirror. I actually appreciated this, as these folks were more likely to move right when I came by (multi-loop course, so lots of passing). I didn't see any "serious" riders (tri bike, carbon wheels, aero helmet, etc.) with mirrors. I think it would be difficult to ban mirrors given the large number of non-racers who have these as part of their regular bike setup and wouldn't even think there would be a rule against it.

For the FOPers, there is always the sneaky option hidden inside glasses or a helmet visor:

I don't know if I have ever seen a moto official in a non-WTC race. I'm sure it happens but very, very infrequently.

As for that sneaky mirror, honestly I feel like a ref who knows the sport would/should be suspicious of a FOPer using sunglasses instead of a helmet visor

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Bike mirror use during race allowed? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

I don't know if I have ever seen a moto official in a non-WTC race. I'm sure it happens but very, very infrequently.

As for that sneaky mirror, honestly I feel like a ref who knows the sport would/should be suspicious of a FOPer using sunglasses instead of a helmet visor

Huh? It's more rare for me to NOT see an official at a race. Most races I do that are not WTC still have officials.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike mirror use during race allowed? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at Tri Santa Cruz. Two refs on motos doing laps of the course.

At Santa Cruz 70.3 they are typically going up and down the highway 1 part of the bike.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike mirror use during race allowed? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
hadukla wrote:

Huh? It's more rare for me to NOT see an official at a race. Most races I do that are not WTC still have officials.

Sorry, perhaps I should qualify that I typically only do sprints and olys for non-WTC races. and in all the North East ones i've done when living in NYC and now the few Oregon ones (only two event producers here), I haven't seen officials.

I am glad that I am countered, I'd love for all USAT races to require it but understand why they don't

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
a cheater used one to look for marshals while he was drafting.

I've always thought those mirrors are cool Safety Device and can't believe there are sneaky people out there using them for a different reason.
Quote Reply