Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike logistics for international races
Quote | Reply
I'm considering doing IM 70.3 Greece next year. I'd be traveling there from California. I'm familiar with the basic travel logistics, as we've been to Greece many times. What I'm trying to sort out (to determine if doing the race is feasible) are the logistics around getting the bike there and back. So far, the options I've looked into are as follows:

1) Tri Bike Transport - doesn't support this race (so far)

2) Bikeflights - I keep getting an error that FedEx isn't responding when I try to get a quote. If they're using FedEx, then I understand why.

3) FedEx - I generated a quote from their website directly to ship a bike box, and it was ~$800 each way, plus the risk that it will not arrive on time.

so, this leaves me with flying with the bike. Cost of a hardshell bike case (Scicon) is ~$800. I could maybe find one to borrow. Cost to fly with a bike case (United) is $200 each way. OK, so far not great but not horrible in the grand scheme of doing an international race. What I'm having some difficulty sorting out is how I get from the airport to the resort with the bike. It's a 3 hour drive. I'd be traveling with my family (four of us) and all our luggage, so car and trunk are already full. SUV rental in Greece is OBNOXIOUSLY expensive vs. a normal (tiny) car. SUV's are just not a 'thing' in Greece. Even if I rent an SUV, it'll be a tiny one by US standards - so the only real option is to strap the bike box to the roof rack, which sounds sketchy for a three hour drive.

So, those of you that have travelled to 'out of the way' races before, how do you solve the logistics of traveling with the bike?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike logistics for international races [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rent a bike in Greece.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike logistics for international races [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be very surprised if this is an option, but I'll definitely look into it. The race is at a resort that's ~3 hours from Athens. I suspect that even if I could find a place that rents tri bikes, it would be in Athens, which then presents the same logistical problem of how to get the bike to the race site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to rent a bike near the race site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. Here's the plan.
  • Pick up your hire car at the airport.
  • Fold the rear seat flat.
  • Unpack your bike and change into your cycling gear.
  • Pack the two children into the empty bike box, slide it in the car, throw all your bags on top.
  • Wife drives to accommodation. Recommend turning up the stereo to a high volume that will effectively muffle any noises coming from the back. Anything with a dense sound will do, be that Wagner or Megadeth. But let her choose. Remember this is her "me time" too. Don't be a selfish prick and make these first hours of the family holiday all about you.
  • Start cycling. 3 hours drive in Greece wouldn't be more than... what? 120 miles at most.
  • Final long ride done!
  • Now pull on your running shoes and brick that bike session. Just because you're on holidays, it's no excuse to be a lazy bastard.

You're welcome. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can sometimes find that a local bike shop or tri club will have a bike case you can rent for the trip. Rent a bike box, and fly with your bike. I did this for a few years, and then just bought my own bike case.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have rented a bike on site but also travelled with my bike .. regrettedly with United who charge an arm and leg. If you choose to fly your bike, look for an airline that charges low / nil fee for sports equipment ... Air Canada has a good policy ($50 each way, intl flights) or perhaps one of the European carriers. I stuffed my bike in a cardboard bike box (if you don’t want to buy a hard or soft shell box) and had no issues ...

The 3 hr drive is tricky tho, not sure what to advise there if SUVs are expensive to hire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Find a case/box to rent. If you are going to buy, my recommendation is EVOC for soft case or Premiere Bike Case (Premier Tactical) for hard case.
2. If you are worried about the $200ea way on United, don't fly United. Very very rarely get that fee waived, and when I do it is because of Military ID.
3. Find a friend that has a SeaSucker bike rack, or buy one. Take that with you and see if you can leave your bike box / case at the rental car place or at an airport storage place.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't fly on U.S. based airlines. Any other country's airlines will be far more lenient about bike fees, if they charge at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike logistics for international races [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd think you could purchase a bike for $1200, leave it there and break even.
Quote Reply