Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [ballon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ballon wrote:
My height is 1780 mm
Saddle height is 685 mm
Long torso, not much leg.

605/494

remember, i'm not advocating my math! i'm using you to help me TEST my math.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your math is very interesting.
My current measurement is ~610/505.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Height - 5'9" or 175.2cm
Saddle Height - 705mm
Pad X - 500mm
Pad Y - 600mm

I have very short legs for my height (29-30" inseam) and am very long in torso

Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
Height - 5'9" or 175.2cm
Saddle Height - 705mm
Pad X - 500mm
Pad Y - 600mm

598/470

love to see a pic. the reason is, i need to know if i should amplify my coefficients that manipulate for morphological variance from the norm.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
Height - 5'9" or 175.2cm
Saddle Height - 705mm
Pad X - 500mm
Pad Y - 600mm

598/470

love to see a pic. the reason is, i need to know if i should amplify my coefficients that manipulate for morphological variance from the norm.
]

that's definitely a Star Trek quote.. right?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
Height - 5'9" or 175.2cm
Saddle Height - 705mm
Pad X - 500mm
Pad Y - 600mm

598/470

Sorry image is horrible

Have a new Speed Concept in Medium and waiting for back ordered LowFar (110/10) stem to come in to get my fit dialed.

Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ctflower wrote:
height: 6'3" or 190.5cm
saddle: 80.5cm

will add current stack/reach this evening

y = 668
x = 513
Measured as best i could before looking at these. I'm at:
Y: 640
X: 500

I think higher is reasonable. Longer ... eh, maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [ctflower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed the first thread, but in case you are looking for some data from someone who is on the shorter side (relatively longer in leg than torso):

saddle height: 64.5 cm
height: 164 cm

pad x: 415
pad y: 595
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to play!

5'9-and-a-half
730mm ish saddle height from BB centre, measured in a straight line (not vertical height). That's using 165mm cranks.

A couple of clues.

I ride a steep seat tube angle, probably a bit forward of your mean value.
I featured in your article "Bike Solutions for Aliens" (no cheating!).

:-)

Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Aug 10, 17 3:33
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
Sorry image is horrible

image is great. and thank you and it somewhat places me at ease. if we're going to prescribe a bike using a static system like this with very minimal data input, what is really a bummer is getting the X axis wrong. it's easier to change Y. you pedestal, or unpedestal. but X is hard to change on superbikes, especially if they don't have a lot of fore/aft adjustability as many of them don't.

in your case we nailed it on the Y but you had 30mm more X than our prediction and that was worrisome for the "system" devised. but looking at your position, it would be hard to prescribe this position. don't get me wrong, it's a good position. but you're quite forward it looks like to me. more so than the typical rider.

now, i'd like it if we were a little closer to this position of yours. maybe only 15mm or 20mm back of your position. but if your position was dead on center of the tri bike riding public and we prescribed 30mm rearward of that, i'd be more concerned than i am.

but this feeds into another theme of mind that i'll be publishing on within a few days, which is a worrisome trend among bike makers to shrink the fit window of their superbikes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious how it differs, if at all, from the fit I ended up with at the ST fit workshop in February.

Height: 5'6"
Saddle Height: 705mm

http://www.clperformancetraining.com
http://www.pillasport.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'10 - saddle height 735mm

What say you?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [al-gorithm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
al-gorithm wrote:
I'm curious how it differs, if at all, from the fit I ended up with at the ST fit workshop in February.

Height: 5'6"
Saddle Height: 705mm

me curious too. 587/452

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [al-gorithm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
al-gorithm wrote:
Pad Xr: 397
Pad Xc: 437
Pad Y: 607

did i try to move you forward and lower? if so, how did that go? i don't remember. in any case, we're not horribly off. my prescription is 20mm lower and 15mm further forward. my math prescribes you as being just one step more aggressive, but, in scale. in proportion. if you go forward you probably go lower, and by that rough amount.

having said that, if you and i agreed that 607/437 was the best outcome, i would trust THAT more than i would trust arbitrary math.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually have gone further out (20mm) and a little lower now (10mm) on my fit bike which I feel is even more comfortable but have only translated the x and not the y to my current bike.

http://www.clperformancetraining.com
http://www.pillasport.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my information for the data pool:

Pad X = 470mm
Pad Y = 597mm
Saddle height = 673mm

Height = 5'5" (165cm)
Inseam = 30.5" (77.5cm)
Not sure if this is considered long or short of torso/legs.

I'm riding a XS Spec. Shiv with a 110/-20 stem with no spacers; 20mm of pedestal under the armpads.
Last edited by: Sim: Aug 10, 17 15:14
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have you at 571/450. i'd like to see a pic. there are a few of you who have longer padx than i'm coming up with, esp in the smaller configs.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry... I was slow to get back to my bike to measure. Mine are reasonably close...

The analysis came up with 620/474. My HY is 641 and HX is 467. The 641 measurement is to top of pads. However, I suspect that I am too tall at the moment, because I am slow for my power, so I am planning to submit my position to the forum for analysis once I get a camera setup to do some picture taking and videoing.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saddle height: 730mm
Pad Y: 629mm
Pad X: 500mm

My height: 179cm
Would say I lean more towards long(er) torso
165mm cranks
M Shiv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Height : 5'11'' (long torso)
Saddle height : 735mm

Pad x : 530mm
Pad y : 560mm

Consulting your chart, I note that my pad x/y is quite unorthodox...

I am riding a size 54 Cervelo NP3, with 120mm -35 stem , 3T vola bars with pad forward and extensions under the bar. I am thinking of changing my bike next year, but can't find anything that will fit without crazy stem angles. Any ideas? Would I be better off on a size 51 P3 (kind of crazy at 5'11'')?

Here are a few pictures of my position (training setup). Not the best pictures, but it gives you an idea.

Thanks Dan.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [BMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMS wrote:
Saddle height: 730mm
Pad Y: 629mm
Pad X: 500mm

My height: 179cm
Would say I lean more towards long(er) torso
165mm cranks
M Shiv

620/488

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit exercise results (if you gave me your height and saddle height) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Sorry... I was slow to get back to my bike to measure. Mine are reasonably close...

The analysis came up with 620/474. My HY is 641 and HX is 467. The 641 measurement is to top of pads. However, I suspect that I am too tall at the moment, because I am slow for my power, so I am planning to submit my position to the forum for analysis once I get a camera setup to do some picture taking and videoing.

just as a point of order, did i write HY and HX somewhere? if so that was my mistake. HY and HX are terms of art and refer to the handlebar clamp, that is, where the handlebar (pursuit bar in this case) pass through the stem. PadY and PadX are obviously different.

don't assume that my math is a more important driver than the other drivers that you use to dial your position. i'm asking you for the length of your index finger and the circumference of your head and from that i'm calcuating what foods are likely to give you indigestion. that's a like analogy. there are better and more direct ways of knowing what will give you indigestion.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
just as a point of order, did i write HY and HX somewhere? if so that was my mistake. HY and HX are terms of art and refer to the handlebar clamp, that is, where the handlebar (pursuit bar in this case) pass through the stem. PadY and PadX are obviously different.

don't assume that my math is a more important driver than the other drivers that you use to dial your position. i'm asking you for the length of your index finger and the circumference of your head and from that i'm calcuating what foods are likely to give you indigestion. that's a like analogy. there are better and more direct ways of knowing what will give you indigestion.
No... I used one of your sizing sheets with HX/HY on it when I recorded the measurements. I just parroted what was on the sheet. My actual measurements were PadY and PadX.

And, I definitely did not assume that the magic math was more important than the drivers in my fit. It is just another little tweak that makes me suspect I could further optimize my position. I feel like I am sitting a ton more upright than everyone else. And, others here are posting much faster times on same power as I ride. So, I have been planning a follow-up with both a local fitter and on ST to see if I can get faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
179cm height

740mm saddle.

Pad stack: 590mm
Pad reach: 505mm
Quote Reply

Prev Next