Bike fit critique
Quote | Reply
Better view:
https://youtu.be/qoRbs54oCVo

Pre-fit video:
https://youtu.be/oUC3if_ZPuM

Quote:
Hey guys,
Recently got a bike fit, with end results including a 170mm to 155mm crank swap, a stem with less stack.
Bontrager Hilo RXL

Am pretty comfortable on it, but am looking for generalized feedback, third party thoughts.

Thanks
Last edited by: Nonojohn: Sep 24, 18 23:06
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What saddle?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The gen1 Bontrager hilo (RXL)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roll your hips forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so he can reach the moar reach that he needs

Jim@EROsports wrote:
Why?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seat is too high

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Why not?

What does rolling hip forward in this case mean, and what would it change re overall functionality?
Based on Eric, is it a matter of scooting forward on the pads, as here's a bit of play there (I feel like I can go further a couple cm).

Morelock wrote:
seat is too high

If you were to ballpark, by how much? Or rather, when would you say it's low enough

Thanks guys
Last edited by: Nonojohn: Sep 22, 18 15:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with a few mm at a time and see how that goes. Hard to tell for sure from a couple of screen grabs.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents... Having ridden a Bontrager hilo and seeing how far your saddle is tilted down you need to find the correct saddle. I personally don't rate the saddle but I know everyone is individual. First thing I thought was you need to rotate your hips and I am intrigued why your saddle is so tilted down but your hips aren't rotated? Rotating your hips and more reach to my eye would be a more comfortable position.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see that.

Have had issues with the saddle, but it had been the most comfortable years ago (though I had only tried a handful) so have been putting up with it.
Tried the PN3 during the fit session, and it felt pretty good, so have some idea which direction to go.

Thanks for your input
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nonojohn wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Why not?

What does rolling hip forward in this case mean, and what would it change re overall functionality?

This is the right question. Don't just tell him to do something without telling him why. What does "rolling your hips forward" do for you biomechanically? How would it benefit him? Is he going to be more comfortable? Is he going to produce more power? Will he magically run better off the bike? How much rotation does he need? How do you know?

Nonojohn, everyone likes to list the same things in these bike fit critiques: "You need anterior pelvic tilt." - no, not everyone needs that. You may or may not, but there's no way to tell from this video. "Your saddle is too high." - In this case, no one can possibly tell that from this video as you're not at race pace, nor did you ride long enough to settle into your fore/aft position. I'm willing to bet good money the position in this video is not your actual riding position after several minutes at race pace.

Do you need a different saddle? Possibly, but there's no way to know that without discussing what you're feeling and knowing exactly how you ride that saddle.

I think these Bike Fit Critiques are actually really helpful to people. There's a lot of good knowledge on this forum for you, and it's great folks are willing to share their experience. But, like bike fits everywhere, there's a lot of crap, too. Beware.

I would do the following:

Re-Shoot the Video:
  1. Have the camera perpendicular to the bike, level, and hip high.
  2. Take both regular and slow motion video.
  3. Ride in your position for several minutes at race pace before beginning the video. If you're alone, just take several minutes of video and trim it down to the last 30 seconds or so before posting it.
  4. Look forward as if you're riding down the road during the video capture.
Describe What You're Feeling on the Bike:
  1. Do you have pain?
  2. Do you have numbness?
  3. How long can you hold your position?
  4. What pain or discomfort brings you out of aero?
I would also like to know what changes were made from your previous fit? Do you feel more comfortable now? More powerful? Are you more aero? Less aero? Are you happy with the position? The more information you provide the ST collective, the better advice you'll receive.

Considering what's typically posted in these types of threads, this is a pretty decent outcome from a bike fit, and a good starting point. It could likely improve, but it doesn't need re-inventing.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Last edited by: Jim@EROsports: Sep 22, 18 20:20
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit critique [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
seat is too high
Yep. By at least 1 cm.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the write up, Jim.
I'll re-shoot a video after tomorrow's workout with the advice given, alongside a pre-fit video.

Overall impression of the fit, though: I'm happy with it. There were issues that I had before (like the saddle discomfort) that I pushed through, admittedly partially because I'm young and still think I'm invincible, but in large part because I didn't really know what level of discomfort was normal/achievable.
New position: feel like there is less pressure on my elbows, shoulders; neck feels more at ease looking at road; the saddle discomfort still pops up at the tail end of a session, but markedly less. Power and RPE at a particular power didn't perceptibly change, but haven't done a brick to gauge run.

I wasn't expecting miracles through a fit -- though evidently my previous wasn't pretty (for your viewing pleasure tomorrow) -- but my general impressions right now is an easier time staying in the position without sacrificing anything.
But as you said, if it could likely improve [at this point, likely marginal benefits], I'm definitely open to input.
Quote Reply