Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike fit advice - long nose saddle
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone, I have a TT bike with an integrated seatpost, and I need help finding a bit more length. The length I need is 210mm from the rear end of the saddle rail to the nose.

My current saddle measures only 190mm, just need 20mm more :)

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit advice - long nose saddle [Galen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can go longer- adamo PL1.1 (what used to be called the Prologue) is 270mm long.
I needed to get a long saddle to help me get further forward than the seat post and seat tube angle would give me on my TT bike (an aging design !) And this is what I went for.

A Cobb JOF is similarly sized too (someone else kindly posted a photo for me showing the dimensions for that for me a little while ago).

The key dimension being not the overall length but from the rearmost point on the straight part of the saddle rail to the tip - as that dictates how far forward you can get really.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit advice - long nose saddle [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bob, I did a quick measurement off of the picture of the ISM PL1.1 it only looks like it measures 175mm to the nose from the back of the saddlerail.

This is typical of the split or stubnose saddles, I'm looking for a longer nose, probably going to be a more traditional shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Galen wrote:
Thanks Bob, I did a quick measurement off of the picture of the ISM PL1.1 it only looks like it measures 175mm to the nose from the back of the saddlerail.

This is typical of the split or stubnose saddles, I'm looking for a longer nose, probably going to be a more traditional shape.

What is the purpose of this goal?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit advice - long nose saddle [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Galen wrote:

What is the purpose of this goal?
This.
A split nose saddle is like a much longer virtual nose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Galen wrote:

if you're rotating your hips forward properly, you're effectively lengthening your back by inches, not millimeters.

For reference, I've ridden my Fizik Mistica saddle as much as -10cm to tip of saddle behind the BB, with a pad reach way longer than anyone else on this forum most likely. This same situation can be achieved with most split nosed saddles, like Dash, ISM narrow and long and short families, etc. Find the one you like and go from there.

If you're doing short course or TT, my advice might be different. I could see a use case for using a regular long nosed saddle in UCI TT applications.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit advice - long nose saddle [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric, I do occasionally do UCI sanctioned TT events, and I'm lucky in the sense that my desired position falls within the UCI regulations anyway.

I do run my saddle at 5cm behind the BB, and I'm hoping that some of the bike fitters can help with advice on finding a saddle that will allow me to maintain the position on a bike where the saddle clamp is a tiny bit too far back.

Just as an aside, I'm 6'2", with really short femurs. The femurs ~2 inches shorter than average, so I tend to use a longer reach, with a fair amount of drop. The difficult part for me is the short femurs mean the bottom bracket is often too far forward, (or the saddle is too far back, depending on how you look at it regarding handling and weight balance).
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit advice - long nose saddle [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jkhayc, the purpose of the goal is to give me something to sit on in the currently empty space 2cm in front of the saddle :) due to the integrated seat post, moving the saddle further forward isn't possible , as it is already as far forward on the rails.

I normally go with bikes that are a size larger than you'd expect for my height, and use a reverse lay back saddle to compensate for my short femurs.
I'm 6'2" and if I use a 58cm frame with 73⁰ seat angle, and 0cm lay back seat post, I can just squeeze a normal saddle in the most forward position. This is hard on the rails, and I tend to bend them from riding the nose.

Hoping some of the bike fitters out there have some ideas for saddles with longer nose, or I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and sell the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit advice - long nose saddle [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks MattyK, unfortunately you can't sit on a virtual nose :) honestly I'd love to use a stub nose saddle but that would require a saddle clamp that is 5 cm more forward.

I'm not looking to sit further back, just looking for a saddle that has a bit more length in the front before I embark on finding a new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you are understanding.

A split nose saddle EFFECTIVELY puts your hips much, much further forward than a "traditional" long nose saddle. In addition, they are far more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Galen wrote:
thanks MattyK, unfortunately you can't sit on a virtual nose :) honestly I'd love to use a stub nose saddle but that would require a saddle clamp that is 5 cm more forward.

I'm not looking to sit further back, just looking for a saddle that has a bit more length in the front before I embark on finding a new bike.

You don't understand how to sit on a snub nose saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading all these replies - you need to get yourself to a fitter with a fit bike and have them get you in the position you want on it - then go from there. I wouldn't be stuck on a pure measurement, as everyone in here has said you may not actually need that long of a saddle if your position gets you where you need to be.

You mentioned "usually using a long reach" - why? Just as a default for using a bike that's too big? That can also be solved with shorter stems, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit advice - long nose saddle [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I have worked with a number of fitters over the years, and have settled on a great position, that's why I'm here, to see if any of you good people have come across a longer nose saddle so I can maintain it. It's a great position for generating a lot of power, and is pretty aero, if you have an hour to kill you can watch me attempt the Hour on my local track, at 48.433 km I came pretty close to the Canadian record, so its a good position.

What would you recommend for someone with short femurs? I have found that fitting a longer reach works better for handling, on my road bike I use a 58cm TT with 130mm stem, and the handling is perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit advice - long nose saddle [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do understand the split nose saddle, and although the shape isn't great for me, the place you sit is a few inches too far back to be useful anyway.

Do you have any advice about where to find a saddle with a longer nose? Maybe you've run across one in your fitting experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont have any measurements, but maybe you could contact bisaddle and see if you can get measurements on their ext saddle. It's right around the length you're looking for, but the rails on the chassis are further back than others I've seen, giving you effectively greater forward movement. Other than that theres always something like the fizik aerione tri 2, but my taint hurts just thinking about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit advice - long nose saddle [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I have reached out to Bisaddle and I am looking at them for sure! That might be the path forward, and it also has a taller stack height, which also helps, as the saddle clamp goes lower and thus more forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Galen wrote:
I do understand the split nose saddle, and although the shape isn't great for me, the place you sit is a few inches too far back to be useful anyway.

Where is someone supposed to sit on a split nose saddle?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit advice - long nose saddle [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Here you go:
https://ismseat.com/help/setup-guide/

Sorry I didn't realize you didn't know how to use them.

As you can see from the guide, the nose area that I need is eliminated, so I'd literally be sitting in the air space in front of the tips. What I need is going entirely the other way, more length, not less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Galen wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Here you go:
https://ismseat.com/help/setup-guide/

Sorry I didn't realize you didn't know how to use them.

As you can see from the guide, the nose area that I need is eliminated, so I'd literally be sitting in the air space in front of the tips. What I need is going entirely the other way, more length, not less.
Lol. Pretty sure Jim knows the answer to his question. (the nose is eliminated, their point is if you put it 5-8cm further back then your pelvis should be in the same position as before. Hence if you set it at the same nose-to-bar distance, you'll be 5-8cm further forwards, which is I believe what you wanted)

But my question that follows from your answer is: how the heck are you sitting on your conventional saddle?
Quote Reply