Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun
Quote | Reply
Okay, finally got setup so I could get some video of the Cervelo I have been racing with this season.

200mm cranks.

When I put my heal down in bike shoes to the pedal at the bottom, they just touch so I do not see the seat going any higher.

I put a shot of my leg at 3 o'clock for knee to pedal if that makes any difference, which I am hearing does not.

I put a hot of my leg at 12 with the angle which is like 60 ish. When I did the same on my trainer at 185 cranks, really was not that much different.

So, lets have some fun with what is totally wrong with my position. :) Go for it Dan.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait a sec...

ok, ready,

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like about 90% of all Slowtwitch garage fits, you're looking straight down at your front hub instead of where you'd actually be looking while riding a bike on the road.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 17, 17 16:32
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Like about 90% of all Slowtwitch garage fits, you're looking straight down at your front hub instead of where you'd actually be looking while riding a bike on the road.

Was not worried about where I was looking

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
trail wrote:

Was not worried about where I was looking

Clearly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you need your hat on. First impression is you look good. Your seat looks low, but you dont drop your ankle any, so maybe that angle works for you. like always you could get experimental with getting more aero. IDK why 200 cranks but, i wont change your mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [Rider17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rider17 wrote:
you need your hat on. First impression is you look good. Your seat looks low, but you dont drop your ankle any, so maybe that angle works for you. like always you could get experimental with getting more aero. IDK why 200 cranks but, i wont change your mind.

If I were to raise my seat at all, then I would not be able to touch my shoe heal on the cleats with them all the way down. I read this is the test everyone seemed to agree to with seat height, but am I wrong?

I love the 200mm cranks for the hills. Now, I am working with Frank Day who we all know wants me to be on super short stuff. So, will see how that pans out.
I rode 175's for like a year and all I felt was my climbing suffered. So if I could prove I have more power or faster shorter great, but so far the test I did for a year did none of that, for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"am I wrong"

yes. it is a starting point, not a prescription.

you really need a bigger frame, if you can find one.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
"am I wrong"

yes. it is a starting point, not a prescription.

you really need a bigger frame, if you can find one.

Interesting. This is a 61 Cervelo which is the largest they make.

When I bought a custom from from Yaqui and was fitted on his computer, he put me on a 59 frame.

So, what in the frame needs to be larger? The Reach? I have a 140 stem on it now and the seat pretty far forward.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with not looking up as if you're riding down the road is it changes your posture/pelvic rotation, so we're not getting a true sense of your reach to the aero bars, which is likely too short.

Your saddle is low.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm betting that your 59 was larger than your 61.

Stem is way too long.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 17, 17 18:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget to shave your legs before the next race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long can you ride in that position?? No point going for a bit fit that isn't sustainable.

Reason for short cranks is to open the hips and avoid that super bent knee position you're currently using. Longer cranks mean a lower seat and that pits you knees higher at TDC.

Also, where do you usually sit when riding? Looks like your static pics you slid back about 6" from your riding position.
Last edited by: Jctriguy: Sep 18, 17 0:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heath Robinson called.

He wants his contraption parts back :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
The problem with not looking up as if you're riding down the road is it changes your posture/pelvic rotation, so we're not getting a true sense of your reach to the aero bars, which is likely too short.

Your saddle is low.

You really think the saddle is too low? What is the criteria? As I said, I am just touching the pedal with the back of my shoe. I have not measured the knee angle with the seat where it is, but if I go higher, clearly at some point the leg would go to 180.

So your comment that my reach to the aero bars would say the bike from is too small for me since it does not have enough reach?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Stem is way too long.

Not sure, but since I still have it, I guess I could meaure them.

If I went with a shorter stem, it would push my arms way back which I assume would be bad?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seat is too low, bike is probably too small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your saddle is too low, your head position (looking down) is influencing the rest of the prescription, but it also looks like your bike overall is too small. you are very cramped, which appears to be mostly influenced by the lack of reach you can achieve currently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think your reach looks long at all. The reason you seat looks low is that you point your toes. Try dropping you ankle to get better extension of your leg.

It looks like the lake is getting low. Are you back in drought already?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Your saddle is low.

You really think the saddle is too low? What is the criteria? As I said, I am just touching the pedal with the back of my shoe. I have not measured the knee angle with the seat where it is, but if I go higher, clearly at some point the leg would go to 180.

So your comment that my reach to the aero bars would say the bike from is too small for me since it does not have enough reach?

Seat is too low. You are losing power with your seat that low. Here's some criteria: http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../Seat_height_21.html

Yes at some point, you can go too high. Most people have seat height that is too high for them hence the infamous phrase on ST.

I know you mentioned you have gone to shorter cranks but I remember you saying that you actually lowered the saddle when you to shorter cranks which is the opposite of what you are supposed to do. That's probably why you felt your climbing suffered. With your seat too low, it's extremely hard to activate the glutes. If you do go to shorter cranks, you should be raising the saddle.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Stem is way too long.

If I went with a shorter stem, it would push my arms way back which I assume would be bad?

You misunderstand. The reason I know whether your frame is too small is that the stem is too long,. Too much weight on the front wheel leads to all kinds of handling problems. You need a bigger frame and shorter stem.

I'm using a 120 stem, and I know my frame is too small. Handling on my bike is shit, too.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Stem is way too long.

You misunderstand. The reason I know whether your frame is too small is that the stem is too long,. Too much weight on the front wheel leads to all kinds of handling problems. You need a bigger frame and shorter stem.

I'm using a 120 stem, and I know my frame is too small. Handling on my bike is shit, too.

Shorter cranks would help the reach issue. If he went to say 175 mm cranks, he would move the saddle back 25 mm and then move the pads back (rearward) 25 mm. Not sure if this would completely fix it but it would help. I do think he is already pretty scrunched up. I'm honestly not sure if you can get a bigger bike with more reach.

This situation is exactly why dynamic fit bikes are needed. Put Dave on a fit bike and we could put him in an optimum position rather quickly. Then find we could find a bike/stem solution that would work.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was making the assumption that he's going to stick with those 200mm cranks....

175 or 180 cranks would be mo' better, and like you say, then could run a 120 stem and be more balanced on the bike.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Height is a factor. Not everyone is 5'10".
Bike frames for people like Dave (and me, and a few others) don't exist. We have to make things work, rather than have the perfect setup.
Dave, I think you need to have a basic idea of stack / reach, so you can find the frame that gets you closest.
After that you may need to get creative and use stems that are 'too long ' (I have a 130), or use a custom seat post, put your saddle back all the way, and definitely use shorter cranks. Get an Ultegra 175, it will force a little higher cadence which will do you good.

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit Critique time for h2ofun [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that. I believe that Dave already has a custom frame that fits. Also, as was already pointed out, his Cervelo might fit better if he went to shorter cranks and pushed the saddle back a bit.

There are lots of custom bike makers out there. For some people, custom is the way to go. You and Dave might be amongst those people.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next