Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike fit - hopefully for the last time
Quote | Reply

Bit fit as is with c2 medium aerobars

Arms moved back 1" [simulated c2 small aerobars]

Arms moved back 1.5" - this is where I think I should be.

I need shorter aerobars and I think that they should be 1.5" shorter. At 1" I still feel a bit stretched out. At 2" I start hitting my knees.

Moving from a c2 medium aerobar to a c2 small only takes me back 1". The stem is a 70 so I'm not going to be able to go much shorter than that. Having the risers makes it more difficult and expensive to go to an adjustable aerobar (new stem, etc.).

The c2 size small are by far the cheapest and easiest solution, but only get me 2/3 of the way to where I want to be. What should I do?

Thanks,

-Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit - hopefully for the last time [mrcurtain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the problems I see with the Syntace bars is that as you move your forearms back, it makes the angle between your forearm and bicep really obtuse. Perhaps you should try a different aerobar altogether, one where the armpads are closer to the base bar. If you're set with the syntace, you could always cut a bit of your aerobars where they turn up to get that last inch. My aerobars are a bit long, and I find I usually grab them right at the bend when I'm cruising. I'm thinking about cutting a bit off the turned up portion to lower my bar end shifters closer to this position. However, in your case this is just going to make the angle between your forearm and bicep more open.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it may just be me, but your seat post looks too high...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit - hopefully for the last time [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seat looks too high to me, too, Taku. One other thing that pops out at me, are you really comfortable with your hands that low? I don't think they are technically too low, but you do have some room to raise your hands and still have the crease of your wrist no higher than your elbow. Maybe this is just because you are only similating a position, but it makes your elbows "fly" a little, also. If a small C2 brings you back too close, you could always go to a slightly longer stem, right?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit - hopefully for the last time [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two votes for lower the seat. I'll definitely try that. :-)

As for the hand position, you made me realize that I did a poor job of "simulating" shorter aerobars. My hands are resting on top of the aerobars which creates this awkward position.

The problem with the small is that I'm not sure that they bring me back far enough. Photo #2 was my attempt at showing where small would put me. Photo #3 is half inch further back.

Right now I'm strongly leaning towards getting "not quite short enough" smalls. I might order them tommorow.

Cheers,

-Adam :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam, I'd still suggest rotating the aero bars so that the front is slightly higher than in your first picture. Just try it and see how it feels, it might give you a little more perpendicular (to your thorax angle) support at your forearm pad, which may attenuate the tendency of your elbows to slide forward. In other words, make the TOP of your fore-arm parallel to the ground instead of the bottom of your fore-arm parallel to the ground. Also, when viewed from the front, make sure your elbows rest comfortably directly in front of your knees...at least make sure your elbows don't go out further than your knees....you want your knees to be in the "shadow" of your elbows.

Once you lower your seat, check to make sure the top of your ear is still lower than the highest point on your back. If not, you may be able to lower the front end a tad, too.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply