Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike fit - anyone have suggestions
Quote | Reply
Photos:

www.geekeasy.com/bike_fit/

I'm rather slow so I'm correctly or incorrectly looking more for comfort and power than extreme aerodynamics.

I realize that I'm a bit stretched out, but it doesn't seem to feel uncomfortable and the stem is a 70 - I can't really go any shorter than that.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Adam :-)

P.S. I've rotated the photos to compensate for the trainer which tilts the bike a bit "uphill".
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit - anyone have suggestions [mrcurtain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will bite and suggest that you might want a steeper seat angle. Like me, your stomach shows no sign of starvation. A steeper seat angle might still be comfortable and open up your hip angle to give your legs room to move that the skinny kids on ths board don't need.

Moving forward will help fix the stretched out position. You might get lower back problems with your current set up. I always do when I am too stretched out. You look like you have a relaxed seat angle now, but with the photos I can't really tell for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks to me like those aerobars are a bit long. Are they a size large? You might want to consider moving down a size or two. The biggest downside to doing so is that the pads will no longer be right under your elbows, but further up the forearm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, you need the next size smaller aero bars. You appear to have plenty of knee clearance so moving your elbows back an inch or so will not be a big deal. Its this stretched out position that is robbing you of power right now. You can't engage your torso at all because its too stretched out. That means you can't use the aero bars as another leverage point to develop a stable platform for your legs to deliver their full power. Shorten up and get your 90 degree angles and you'll notice a big difference in how you are able to apply power. Other than that, you'd need more flexibility and less midsection to allow you to get lower and more aero. Those are certainly worth pursuing, but not as immediately fixable as the stretched out position. Good job with the angles on the photos. Most people post photos taken from angles that are too low/high or fore/aft to be any real use in looking at or are taken with a lens focal length that is too wide. Yours appear straight on with a standard focal length on the lens.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit - anyone have suggestions [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smaller aerobars... which will probably have you come a little lower on the stem to maintain the same shoulder height if that feels good for you.
Quote Reply
Followup question [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm..... 3 votes for shorter aerobars. 1 vote for steeper seat angle.

I hate to go with shorter aerobars - I had shorter aerobars at one point and weight on the forearm was very uncomfortable.

Increasing the seat and and possibly removing the risers should also give me the desired 90 degree shoulder/elbow angles.

Why shorter aerobars instead of steeper seat tube angle?

-Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to judge from a photo but I also suggest shorter aero bars as you do look stretched out a bit. In theory a plumbline dropped thru the center of your ear should fall thru the elbow crease according to John Cobb's page. This isn't the case as the bike is set up but shorter aero bars would give that effect.

You could also try moving your seat more forward as an alternative.

Again, hard to say from a photo.
Quote Reply
Re: Followup question [mrcurtain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to tell, but it looks to me that even if you pushed your seat forward by like 1.5 inches, the bar extensions would still be a bit long. But again with the picture I'm really guessing.
Quote Reply
non productive comment [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to say it... the straw on your aero drink looks like it is about to go up your nose... I think that this might make it more aero but might be detrimental to your nutritional plan on the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot add anything on the bike fit - but where did you get the front stand your bike is on ?

Was it part of a trainer or did you buy it, in addition.

I use a plastic base which came with my computrainer but yours looks much better.

I know some guys on this site will be able to make one - but I am an engineering / diy challenged accountant so will have to buy one
Quote Reply