Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike design - dumb as it sounds?
Quote | Reply
It's another slow day, so I thought I'd throw this out. I was riding with my 6-year-old daughter the other day and started thinking about her coaster brake. You know, pedal backward and the bike stops.

Now jump to this - I'm screaming down a hill trying to be as aero as possible and milk every ounce of speed to get me up the next one. Out jumps the gopher from a previous thread (not likely in MS), or down goes a rider in front of me, or the sharp turn at the bottom is approaching. For whatever reason, I need to brake. Why should I be forced to move my hands from my aerobars? In an emergency situation this reaction time could be the difference between joining or avoiding a pileup. Why can't I have a coaster brake?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike design - dumb as it sounds? [BillT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is no damn reason on earth why you should not have a coast break!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, actually kind of a good question. I think it has more to do with the complexity of the internals when combined with a freehub. Also, the braking power is relatively poor in the racing bike context, handbrakes actually exert a pretty substantial braking force. The coaster brakes are pretty heavy too- even a "light weight" version might likely be heavier than hand brakes. Then again, some product manager at Shimano probably read this thread and is CAD CAMing the thing now. Not a bad thought. Interesting...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't coaster brakes usually lock up the back wheel for those cool skids we used to do on the sidewalk? I would think an emergency coaster brake would cause huge handling problems, especially with hands still on the aerobars. But the skid marks would be fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike design - dumb as it sounds? [trischnitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think some company has brakes that go on the ends of your aerobar (like a twist or a push break). I wonder why not many people use em (except for the fact they are as aerodynamic).
Quote Reply