Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike computers suck
Quote | Reply
Seriously I just had a moment of enlightenment-why persist with clunky, glitchy substandard rubbish as what Garmin put out (I just sold my 820 thank god), why pay through the nose for a 1980’s black and white graphics (hello Wahoo) and just use our mobile phones!

The phone does EVERYTHING we need, large bright display, instant syncing with this like Strava, world class maps and functionality and the integration is smooth and seamless! Plus they are light are significantly more aero than even the ‘aero’ Element bolt.

So I hear you complain about battery life. Well you can buy phone cases that double the battery life, which should give you at least 6-8 hours which is plenty for 99% of our rides.

So before I stop shopping for another bike computer and just buy a phone battery pack please shoot some holes in my idea?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For training, sure. I use Strava mapping on my road bike all the time. I like the route functionality on Strava better than on my Garmin Edge.

For racing, nope. WTC will disqualify you for cell phone use such as having mounted to your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [alexanderzlenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexanderzlenz wrote:
For training, sure. I use Strava mapping on my road bike all the time. I like the route functionality on Strava better than on my Garmin Edge.

For racing, nope. WTC will disqualify you for cell phone use such as having mounted to your bike.

From the IM rules and regs:

(iii) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to two-way radios, cell phones, smart watches, smart helmets (i.e., helmets enabled with Bluetooth® technology), in any distractive manner during the Race. A “distractive manner” includes but is not limited to making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, taking photographs, and mounting the device to a bike for purposes of using the device like a bike computer. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification; (iv) Headsets or headphones are prohibited during the bike segment of the Race;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexanderzlenz wrote:

Ahhhh and there is the problem :(

I hate the thought of having to shell out for substandard crap when I have a phone in my jersey pocket already that does everything the bike computer does but better!

Using Garmin is like using windows 2000 with a virus. I guess there best alternative is a Element...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that I use my Garmin watch more than I use my Edge when I'm on the TT Bike. When I'm on any of my other bikes, I'm using the Strava app on my phone.

I have the Edge 520 and I find that it is laggy as hell.

I feel your pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexanderzlenz wrote:
I find that I use my Garmin watch more than I use my Edge when I'm on the TT Bike. When I'm on any of my other bikes, I'm using the Strava app on my phone.

I have the Edge 520 and I find that it is laggy as hell.

I feel your pain.

How is it for viewing power? All I really want to see is power. I need glasses to read so a large display is needed, not sure how big something like the Fenix can display one or two metrics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see some of the newer bike computers can send and receive messages. Are they banned?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the same reason Garmin created the Edge 500 after getting feedback from the old UCI Garmin cycling team who used the Edge 800 for a season.

Simple is better.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
I see some of the newer bike computers can send and receive messages. Are they banned?

That’s a very good point! Along with pretty much every watch these days! Seems like the rules are lagging reality..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use my phone instead of a computer for mountainbiking. No problems with it, I just got sick of having a large device mounted on my handlebars and decided I preferred the simplicity of my fitness watch.

On my road bike I use a computer. I find my watch too hard to read without breaking aero position and don't have much room to mount a phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this exact same thought about 2 or 3 seasons ago. My plan was to use the Garmin 910 for racing and my Android phone (and later iPhone) for training. But last year September I caved and bought an Elemnt Bolt.

Reasons:
- Battery life.
- I tested all apps I could get my hands on, and they all missed something I wanted. The Strava one is lacking, the Wahoo one is lacking, the Powertap one is lacking. Ride With GPS is lacking. The best one was ipbike, but that's Android only. Let me know if you want more detailed reviews :-)
- All apps were hard to use when riding, especially for somebody with old man eyes, and doubly especially with a heart rate at or over threshold.
- Battery life.
- The screen of both my Samsung S5 and iPhone don't like rain (or sweat dripping from your face)
- iPhone and ANT+ sensors is challenging, and I have yet to find a good BLE heart rate strap.
- Did I mention battery life?

The only pro I can see is mapping, but when I got lost in the wild, marshy wetlands between Amsterdam and Rotterdam last year, and fired up Google Maps, that whole battery life issue really became a problem. And while I can buy battery packs, the research I did into those showed me that for the price of a good one I can buy an Elemnt.

And call me old, or old fashioned, but I don't see the point of making a user interface colour if black and white does the job *and saves you battery life*. And you obviously have never seen an eighties app if you think the Elemnt isn't better :-D

In summary: it can work, if you solve the battery issue, and are willing to live without some features in the app you use. And if you don't sweat :-)

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Fenix 3 and I customized the bike screens - you can view power quite easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do think that the phone will replace the bike computer soon. Just not yet.

Things that will have to happen first.

• Phone will have to reduce back in size and form factor. Think back to the Iphone 5 size, or roughly the size of an Edge 1030.
  • Screen contrast will have to improve in direct sunlight.
  • Battery will have to be able to last a 6 hour ride with all sensors on, then still last you the rest of the day with normal phone use. Without a battery pack case. I certainly don't like the feel of a half pound phone in my pocket through the normal course of my day.
  • Barometric altimeter will need to be built in.

But that's me thinking as a road racer who doesn't do triathlons anymore. I don't think you're going to see a lot of triathletes willing to leave their $800-1000 phones on their bikes in T1 or T2...even if it were allowed by the rules.

Until then, I rather spend $250 on a dedicated bike computer that does it's job better than a phone and doesn't interfere with my phones ability to be a phone the rest of the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine reminded me of the other main reason I stopped using my phone - sweat on the screen. My phone would get a bit of sweat on it and start changing pages, closing apps, etc. It would treat the moisture as a touch. Then it was almost impossible to switch back with a wet screen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have had a Garmin Edge 1000 for 2 years and no real problems with it, other than the fact that the navigation doesn't handle out and back courses or multiple loops very well. So not glitchy, and while it's not the sleekest bit of kit it's less clunky than a phone in a battery boosting case would be. Also cheaper than a high end phone so I'm not as worried about it being stolen or broken in a crash. Seems to be more robust and certainly more waterproof than a phone and the touchscreen works even in torrential rain. Works with ANT+ devices, not just Bluetooth. And it has the advantage that because it's not a phone I'm not going to have calls and messages popping up during a ride (I know I could turn off some connectivity while still leaving Strava running but that's just extra hassle I don't need).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexanderzlenz wrote:
alexanderzlenz wrote:

From the IM rules and regs:

(iii) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to two-way radios, cell phones, smart watches, smart helmets (i.e., helmets enabled with Bluetooth® technology), in any distractive manner during the Race. A “distractive manner” includes but is not limited to making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, taking photographs, and mounting the device to a bike for purposes of using the device like a bike computer. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification; (iv) Headsets or headphones are prohibited during the bike segment of the Race;

Just arrived from IM70.3 Kraichgau where for the first time they said they would allow mobile phones on the bike to be used as bike computers.
While I am at it... they allowed helmets and race bibs on the bike as well, a big change from previous IM races I have been to.

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin edge 500 has all features, 8 customizable fields on one page with loads of data options... Continuous display with no standby, without pushing a button. The buttons are on side so if you do want page 2 or 3 or 4....and you have it mounted between your hands you can operate in aero

Plus mounting between hands means that you don't have to look down as far which has aero benefit as wel as safety benefit as wel as convenience

It's all weather proof and won't expose you're phone to dust and sweaty fingers and there's no risk of your phone ejecting by accident

Mount's twist easier if you have a heavy phone with double battery mounted on it

It works in the rain and snow and doesn't overheat in sun and it doesn't matter if you're wearing gloves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird that you are put off by a basic monochrome display in a bike computer (Wahoo Bolt). All it needs to do is show the data, right? What are you wanting to do? Watch an episode of Peaky Blinders on Netflix while you ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Weird that you are put off by a basic monochrome display in a bike computer (Wahoo Bolt). All it needs to do is show the data, right? What are you wanting to do? Watch an episode of Peaky Blinders on Netflix while you ride?

WHS^

I've got a Bolt. I keep my phone in my back pocket and only get it out to take a pretty picture of my bike or to lie to my wife about being only 10 minutes from home.
The rest of the time the Bolt gives me more than enough information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

No, but its hardly cutting edge. All these devices are priced at a premium that doesn't correspond with whats is being delivered. And I think a black font on a white background would look far better and clearer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
No, but its hardly cutting edge. All these devices are priced at a premium that doesn't correspond with whats is being delivered. And I think a black font on a white background would look far better and clearer.

That is your opinion, on all three points, and all opinions are valid. It depends on whether you prioritise form over function, and whether or not you place value on the underlying technology, the algorithms, the communication protocols, the database, and the intelligent UI design (which is exceptional in the Bolt).

For my own part, the important thing is screen clarity to make sure that I can easily read the data that matters to my performance in a variety of different light conditions and viewing angles. The Bolt is very easy to read even if you angle it flat (ie, in-line with the stem) under the glare of the sun... may not be so easy to achieve with a polychromatic display or with a perfect white background? I don't know for sure, but this is the best display I've seen if your priority is to be able to read the data in all conditions.

But for myself when I consider what is or isn't cutting edge and whether the premium I pay represents value, I try to think about the technology on offer and how well it supports the use to which I am putting it. All I really need is to be able to see how many watts I'm making, or occasionally where my next turn is.

Your own mileage may, of course, vary.

Of course none of this is true if it is a bike frame, in which case I just want it to look pretty and ideally be red.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive had a lot of glutchy issues with my 820. But over the last 6 months or so, the thing has been solid. I think a lot of my glitches were settings accidentally turned on or off. I knock on wood as I say this, but if it always worked like this, id be happy. I know some update will roll through and set it off into a tailspin of freezing up or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had far too many issues with my Garmin Edge 520. Battery life issues. Failure to sync data. I wasn’t terribly disappointed when I lost it a couple weeks ago. I bought a lezyne super gps on sale. If that doesn’t workout, I’ll probably switch to the wahoo elemnt bolt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
dunno wrote:

That is your opinion, on all three points, and all opinions are valid. It depends on whether you prioritise form over function, and whether or not you place value on the underlying technology, the algorithms, the communication protocols, the database, and the intelligent UI design (which is exceptional in the Bolt).

For my own part, the important thing is screen clarity to make sure that I can easily read the data that matters to my performance in a variety of different light conditions and viewing angles. The Bolt is very easy to read even if you angle it flat (ie, in-line with the stem) under the glare of the sun... may not be so easy to achieve with a polychromatic display or with a perfect white background? I don't know for sure, but this is the best display I've seen if your priority is to be able to read the data in all conditions.

But for myself when I consider what is or isn't cutting edge and whether the premium I pay represents value, I try to think about the technology on offer and how well it supports the use to which I am putting it. All I really need is to be able to see how many watts I'm making, or occasionally where my next turn is.

Your own mileage may, of course, vary.

Of course none of this is true if it is a bike frame, in which case I just want it to look pretty and ideally be red.

One of my problems is (ignoring economies of scale etc) that for example a Garmin 1030 costs $750 compared to an iphone 7 which you can buy for $850. Now comparing the "underlying technology, the algorithms, the communication protocols" etc between the two is like comparing a chalk board with a super computer.

But I do understand that its much harder for a company to produce 'small' batch products at a similar cost base. Its just annoying though, particularly when Garmin are such an unreliable and glitchy product.

I guess I should just admit defeat and buy a Element.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive never felt confident mounting my phone to my bar/stem. It always felt like it could fall off at any moment. I could have just had a sucky mount though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next