Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike bitch
Quote | Reply
This is my personal bike rant. I'm not explicitly seeking advice because I think I know what the answers will be, but I still have my head comfortably in the sand.

After going through several tri bikes over the years of different makes and models that didn't fit me very well (and most of the blame for them not fitting falls squarely on my own shoulders), I am down to one bike in my garage. It is a Soloist that I am pretty happy with. I have a FSA K-Wing bar on it that I love, but is a no-go for clip on bars. My big race that I want to do as well as I possiby can for is IM AZ. Clearly, this is not the first choice bike for that course. I ride a tri bike very steep at 80 or 81 degrees and I am pertty flexible. I have a full Dura Ace group on hand to build up a frame with. Ideally I would buy a new tri bike and I would have a really good road and tri bike in my stable. But I am riding with Rotors and a Powertap so I have some reservations about buying a new bike and pulling out the BB, cranks, and wheelset that I really don't need anyway. I know the obvious next solution is to buy a frame and build it up. But there are not many frames I think I can afford that are availible as only framesets. So I am thinking of buying a Vision basebar\aerobars, new stem (and MAYBE splurging with a carbon seatpost to try to offset some of the added Rotor and PT weight) and seeing about using the Soloist in AZ. I know handling will not be ideal but it is a flat course so it's not like I'll have IMLP-like decents. I get the sense that if I rule out buying a complete bike, the parts I buy for the Soloist will be needed anyway to finish up a build on a frame that likely is the only solution that makes sense. Am I kidding myself by throwing dollars at a false solution? Or taking a few steps in the right directon by getting the rest of the parts for a future frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bitch [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would be "affordable" for buying a new frameset?

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bitch [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A grandish. Much, much closer to 1K than 2k. I think even $1500 would be too much in present circumstances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A P2SL frame is $1200, including aero seatpost and headset (I believe).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HOw about a used SoftRide or Titanflex. Very comfy, very aero. I've seen some real deals on Softies, even new. There is a reason that most people hwo ride them, love them. They are VERY adjustable, but the Softie is a little harder to adjust until you get used to it. What about a Garneau TT frame? good prices.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO TO CHUCKSBIKES.COM
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bitch [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah the P2SL is 1200 where i have seen it, also look at some of the other smaller companies out there, have seen some very nice frames for around that price range.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A grandish. Much, much closer to 1K than 2k. I think even $1500 would be too much in present circumstances.

So a custom frame is not really doable unless you can find a no-name brand. If you could go to about $2K, Guru could custom fit you. Hmmm.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bitch [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. I've owned a softride before and had a mixed ownership experience with it. I would take a large in 700, and most (all?) of the online retailers that are still selling softrides seem to either have only the smaller sizes or larges in 650.

As far as the P2SL, that is the obvious answer, and in all likelyhood I will go that route. I have a nagging in the back of my head (thanks Mom) that is screaming at me for spending $1200 bucks on a bike with the same downtube and top tube as my current ride. But the measurements on it make a whole lot more sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How 'bout $1250 for this sweet thing...

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out this link ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/730TT-56C-C-60CM-TRI-TIME-TRIAL-TRIATHLON-BIKE-FRAME-BK_W0QQitemZ110006631860QQihZ001QQcategoryZ98084QQcmdZViewItem

They have a few TT/Tri frames that range from mid $200 up to $500. Throw in a fork for a couple of hundred and you've still got some money to blow for extra goodies like aero bars and carbon seatposts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titan flex? Depends on what you did or didn't like about the softie.

P2sl is nice.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[url]http://www.valdoracycles.com/valdora_bike_menu.html[/url]

The carbon is beyond you price range, but the aluminum frameset is $650.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
leader TT frames off of ebay or elsewhere are really nice for the money. $499 bones on ebay and I've seen a bunch of them and everyone I've talked to is happy. Check em out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hijack the thread, but can ANYONE confirm/deny the rumor that Softride is out of business? I can't get a retailer to comment on the subject, and their stocks all seem to be dwindling. AdamSoftride used to post here on a regular basis, but went totally silent after stating in his last post that Softride was NOT going out of business. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC

The silence I'm hearing from Softride makes me a bit skeptical about them. I'm praying that Debra, my beloved Softride Classic TT, doesn't fall apart any time soon.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bitch [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AAMOF, I have a 735TT frame that I love. I didn't suggest Leader earlier, because the OP suggested that he'd had trouble with fit. While Leader will happily work with you over the phone regarding getting the right size, I'm not sure how or whether you can test ride a bike or get a general feel for the frame, particularly if you're in STL.

If the 735TT or 780TT frame can be well-fit to you, then I highly recommend it as a build project.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Bike bitch [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I'm a difficult fit; I just have rushed to buy frames that were good deals that maybe weren't best for me. I have lived and learned.

FWIW I am getting major wood for that Blue frame. I'm can either sell my Soloist now and get the Blue, or wait a few more months and have both bikes, which is probably smart since my race isn't until April anyway.

Gotta love the Internet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throw the aerobars on your current bike and ride it. If you're not keen on that, buy the P2SL for $1200. Hard to go wrong there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you have Tim at MW fit on the Serotta sizer like you're getting fitted for a custom and see if you can find an inexpensive tri frame with those dimensions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ARGON 18 Mercury.... beautful bike... like 1400ish...

"Pace is just a matter of having enough RedBull..." -Rappstar
Quote Reply