Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike advice needed
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine is a strong rider, but due to physical injuries (neck, back) can’t ride in an aero position. He’s currently riding an older Trek 2000 aluminum bike and wants to upgrade. Budget is $3000. He’s planning to do an IM in 2020 and would use the new bike for it. First step will be a bike fitting.

What brands and models would you recommend and why?
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Jul 14, 19 15:25
Quote Reply
Re: Bike advice needed [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
A friend of mine is a strong rider, but due to physical injuries (neck, back) can’t ride in an aero position. He’s currently riding an older Trek 2000 aluminum bike and wants to upgrade. Budget is $3000. He’s planning to do an IM in 2020 and would use the new bike for it. First step will be a bike fitting.

What brands and models would you recommend and why?

I recently bought a 2013 Trek Domane 6.2. It's made a world of difference in my comfort level. The geometry, IsoDecoupler and fork rake all help. As he's familiar with Trek, sounds like that's one to test ride. There are used ones nearly as good as new in that price range.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike advice needed [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My roadie is a Domane 6.x (2013 Project One build). I absolutely love that bike. And yes, smooth over crud roads, very much more so than the aluminum Giant TCR1 that preceded it, or the Cervelo P2C which was my 1st carbon (tri) bike buy. I'm actually surprised to hear one would go for $3k, as I thought there wasn't much market for older bikes.

I was in the midst of a tri bike rebuild so used my Domane for USAT Du Nat's, tossing my Zipp's onto it. I had to remove the disk cover b/c it rubbed the DuoTrap speed sensor. I just rode in the drops, didn't put aerobars onto it, and it was a slow ride. Definitely set up for comfort, not speed. As to comfort, I use it as my commuter to work (17 mi ea way) and spend lots of time with my forearms on the handlebars, like in aero w/o the pads. Some bumps are ok that way, but my handlebar tape isn't the most cush stuff out there. Anyway, that I can tolerate any bumps ridden that way again may speak to the comfort of the frame, (and potentially to a non ideal fit that I can ride it so comfortably in that position).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike advice needed [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike fit needs to come before you even talk bikes. Does he need a very tall stack height like a Specialized Roubaix or can he go with a more moderate stack height like a Cervelo R2/S2. If he wants an aero road bike then the Cervelo S2 has a decently tall stack height and fits in his budget but still fit first.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike advice needed [BrianJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianJ wrote:
Bike fit needs to come before you even talk bikes. Does he need a very tall stack height like a Specialized Roubaix or can he go with a more moderate stack height like a Cervelo R2/S2. If he wants an aero road bike then the Cervelo S2 has a decently tall stack height and fits in his budget but still fit first.

A bike fit is good and I'm glad I had a great experience. However, a bike fit doesn't necessarily get me on the right bike. A bike fit will eliminate some frame sizes/geometry. A bike fit will have me feeling better on the bike of my choice.

The choice/purpose of the ride comes first. If a person wants to go from a tri-bike to a road bike, MTB, etc., then ask the person who did your last fit about the bike(s) that you are considering and whether or not you could fit on those bikes. That could save you from buying the wrong size for you and that's very worthwhile.

Then get another bike fit.

Question: How much time do you spend with your new ride, appreciating it and noticing its differences before you get a fit for your new ride?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply