Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike advice...
Quote | Reply
In 2012 I bought an Aluminum Felt B12 to do my first ever 70.3 on my 50th birthday.
It fits me well, I have flo wheels for it and quark power meter on it...

This years 60th birthday goal is to finish the California Full in October (about 3 weeks past my 60th)
I'm also doing the Oceanside 70.3 in April. (I've done that one in the past)

I'll never be competitive, the goal is only to make the cutoff.
My new Tee shirt says: DFL>DNF>DNS.

Is it worth buying a new bike for this?
I've had a bunch of "Bike salesmen" say a carbon bike will be more comfortable/efficient than the old Aluminum Felt.
I can afford it if I want to....Will I actually notice a difference?

Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike advice... [pbreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are two perfectly good, equally good, reasons for buying a new bike:

1. because you need one.
2. because you want one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, no. Your current bike is plenty good enough to carry you this year and give you good results in any race you do. The aerodynamic differences of the frame are very minor compared to almost everything else screwed onto a bike.

There are two specific add-ons that would make you a lot faster that are sometimes accounted for in a newer bike: cockpit and aero brakes. You can easily replace both of those on your current bike, but they are spendy. At that point, it probably is more worthwhile to spend the upgrade cash on new wheels.

Here are the little things that often lead people to upgrade.
  • You want every bit of available performance in a new frame design
  • Wan to run wider wheels & tires for performance & comfort
  • Love the looks of a new bike
  • Want to move up to 11 or 12 speed shifting for greater gear range & accessory compatibility
  • A new bike would motivate you to get out and ride more
  • A newer bike has greater flexibility for storage

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can afford a new bike...and wheels, go for it if you can. BUT, maybe time in a wind tunnel and clothing/helmet upgrades may be the better option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New bikes are fun

We do this sport for fun

Is it worth it? You might be a smidge faster. You might be able to get a faster fit too on it (or not)

I find that once I start thinking about buying a new bike, I’m never again truly happy on my current one again. It’s a curse

So, go buy a new bike. for me =)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike advice... [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An explicit question:

Is a carbon bike more comfortable than an Aluminum one?
After a long ride, the supporting muscles are more tired than the cranking muscles...

Does an aluminum bike less losses due to frame flex in BB or wheel attachments?
Are these losses significant?

Already have Flo race wheels
have ordered a Giro aero helmet...
Can stay in proper Aero position on the bike...
so other aero cleanups on the bike are probably diminishing returns...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you need a new bike? Definitely no.

Do you want a new bike? If yes, if you got the money then buy a new bike.

That simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you’d find a more forgiving ride with wider tires , than you would alloy vs carbon

Personally I have lots of bikes. On my steel bike that should be the most comfy - I’m unable to tell how much is due to wheels, frame geo, tires, saddle or just thick bar tape.

On my 2011 P2 (which is fast enough to win 40k’s), I can only ride a 25m tire, and 23 w wide rims. Frame material is kinda irrelevant

On frame stiffness - I can notifier stiffness on road bikes between a S Works and a Pro version. definitely when sprinting , but not much when I’m riding threshold-type power. On a TT you prob won’t notice as much

I go back to what I said above - your new bike will feel better. But you prob won’t be buying too much free speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A new bike isn't automatically going to make you any faster. But, if you go to a fitter and get a new bike that can get you in a more comfortable and optimized position... THAT would make you faster and the race more enjoyable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a good bike, if you are comfortable I'd stick with it. If you can fit fatter tires, that helps comfort, especially something with a nice ride rather than a gator skin type tire. Renewing the wear items like cables and housing, chain, lower headset bearing, and bottom bracket as needed will help also.

Different base bar and aero bars might be a nice birthday present.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a new bike this past year after 9 years on a Cervelo.

I love it. Makes it a joy to get on that bike and put out the miles.

Seriously, if cost is not an issue, just get the best bike you can afford right now. At your age, you never know what health or life catastrophe is just around the corner and will end your tri career abruptly.

Make sure you get an awesome disc wheel and front wheel as well as awesome aero helmet (honestly these are required if you buy a superbike) and you'll want to ride that thing all day long!

The speed bump is also real!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Counterfactual from someone with a cluttered garage, keep the tri bike and get a comfy road bike to train on, or a cross bike so you can try a new fall sport. Doing long road rides on a road bike is nicer. Perhaps even consider a bike that allows you to hang a tent and sleeping bag on it for some new adventures. I raced bikes from 1983 until very recently and have found bike camping to be one of the most enjoyable diversions ever. I'm your age too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pbreed wrote:
An explicit question:

Is a carbon bike more comfortable than an Aluminum one?
After a long ride, the supporting muscles are more tired than the cranking muscles...

Does an aluminum bike less losses due to frame flex in BB or wheel attachments?
Are these losses significant?.....
Frame material is only one of many factors influencing bike comfort and in my opinion it's one of the least important. Comfort is primarily a result of position, bar tape, saddle, gloves, shorts, shoes, rim width, tyre type and size, and tyre pressures. Some seatposts provide appreciable flex, and perhaps some forks do. But the rest of the frame construction is not going to make much difference to comfort.

While the directional nature of carbon fibre and the ability to define precise and complex lay-ups makes it feasible to design and built structures in such a way as to promote stiffness and compliance selectively, that doesn't mean a carbon frame is necessarily more comfortable or more efficient. It might be, but it's not a safe bet and it's far from the most important factor.

I'd agree with the previous poster who suggested considering a nice road bike to compliment the tri bike instead!
Quote Reply