Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Works Kona - Say It Is Not So...
Quote | Reply
So I am heading to the big island in a few weeks for Hawaii 70.3. One of the things that I always do is stop by Bike Works and check out what they have.

I just went online and saw a big advertisement across their website for... now hold your breath... e-Bikes.

Now I know that everyone that goes to Kona is not a world class triathlete but the spread of e-bikes has hit the island.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Works Kona - Say It Is Not So... [gshtrisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E bikes are the current fad. Why would a bike shop in HI not follow along?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
. . and the problem with this is?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not seeing an issue here. A bike shop, even one that caters to the some marquee Triathlons, still has to find ways to make money and stay in business the rest of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. I was wondering where to get my hidden bike motor serviced this year!

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Works Kona - Say It Is Not So... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
. . and the problem with this is?

i would guess that the post is somewhat tongue in cheek, and i don't know the dude at all.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Apr 25, 18 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We do E-bikes, along with a ton of aero road and TT bikes. In our experience E-bikes are getting people who often would not ride, or have health issues, out on bikes. More people on bikes is a positive, as it's less cars, and links more drivers directly to cyclists.

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow thank you for your ground breaking journalistic skills and for informing the world...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gshtrisport wrote:
So I am heading to the big island in a few weeks for Hawaii 70.3. One of the things that I always do is stop by Bike Works and check out what they have.

I just went online and saw a big advertisement across their website for... now hold your breath... e-Bikes.

Now I know that everyone that goes to Kona is not a world class triathlete but the spread of e-bikes has hit the island.

E-bikes are great. I commuted entire winter with one (to long of a commute, too shitty weather, me being not hard enough), didnt ride normal bike much at all and didnt do any Zwifting or boring indoor riding. Just put some 2500 miles in on an e-bike in all kinds of weather. Never been so strong nor tested FTP so high as this year.

Oh, yeah, I'm also going to Kona, although in October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. God forbid Grant tries to keep up with the times and turn a profit in a difficult and restricted environment on the island. For the people who commute in and out of town maybe it alleviates some traffic and frees up space on the road. When you stop in to check out what they have, why don't you tell Grant or his employees that you were slamming them on an international forum. Better yet, why don't you make a left out of the airport and not bother coming into town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's great- not everyone is physically able to experience the joy of riding a bicycle around the island, and maybe this will cause there to be a few less rental cars driving around town!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented a bike from therm last time I was there. Great people and great service. When I saw the title of your post, I was afraid you were going to say they were closing. If e-bikes keep them profitable, that's great. If e-bikes get a few more people out on the road and appreciating cycling, that's even better.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Works Kona - Say It Is Not So... [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given how ridiculously expensive rental cars are there, an ebike might be a viable alternative.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply