Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Upgrade Project
Quote | Reply
I am currently riding a 2008 Trek Equinox 9.9 and the only significant upgrade I have made is the addition of race wheels (a Hed Disc and Tri-spoke -- tubulars), and the occasional new cassette and chain.

I am now at the point where I am considering upgrading. The dilemma I am facing is whether I would be better off adding something like tri-rig omega breaks, a new more integrated front-end/aerobar and possibly switching to Di2 and to a clincher disc and deep front wheel (ie. aerocoach) on my current bike. Or, would I be better off just purchasing a whole new bike.

Based on my budget I would probably not be able to get a new bike with those some additions. Would likely be a bike with mechanical ultegra, aerobars and wheels that came with bike, or the wheels I currently have.

So, I am looking for the collective slowtwitch opinion on the better path forward. I am just not sure whether the upgrade in frames and increased integration is worth more time than the above upgrade in components (or any other upgrades anyone might recommend).

Thanks in advance for everyone sharing their thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Upgrade Project [mattdespat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you checked any cost numbers locally?

For a large amount of upgrades I rarely find that it is cost effective to upgrade an older bike vs new.

At a quick glance doesn't the premier tactical hit all your wish list? (Di2, deep front/disc, aero front end)

I think that bike is around $6k USD (assuming you live in the US). Plus factor in selling your bike (500 to 1k?)

To upgrade your old bike (I am switching to CDN dollars now)

Di2 around 2.5 to 3k
Wheels (disc+deep front) 2-3k
Brake and front aero setup 1k
Total 5.5k to 7k

Again these are really quick and dirty numbers but my experience tells me that big upgrades like that are generally not worth it (unless you are in love with your frame/it is something special).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I could swing it, I would buy a new bike.

That Equinox 9.9 was a top tier bike in its day. But, much has changed and advanced since then. Since you are talking aero brakes, aero cockpit, Di2, etc., you are leaning pretty heavy toward whole bike. Those upgrade parts get you on the order of $3,000. So, I would apply that toward a new Di2 bike. The cockpit on a new bike probably would not be better than an aftermarket, but it would be good. You would probably have to spend $2K-$3K more than just the complete upgrades, but you would have a much better foundation.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Upgrade Project [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments and they make a lot of sense.

I was probably leaning that way, and hearing a few comments supporting that reaffirms everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The two value masters are the Premier Tactical if you want rim brakes and the Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc if you want disc brakes. The Speedmax's wheels would be a slight downgrade from your current wheels, but not terrible. The "downside" to the Premier is that you would not be able to take advantage of your old wheels, even though the bike is rim brake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2009 Equinox 9.5 that I found used for under $400. In the last 2 years I added a set of Profile Design Subsonic Race 35s and ProsVet base bars. Got both of those as great deals (base bar as close out from PD direct around 160 with coupon)! Also PD BTA hydration and DarkSpeedWorks bag for the top tube nutrition. Set of Reynolds CF wheels from Jim on the forum. Stock brakes were crappy single pivot so just got set of 105 dual pivots for 90 shipped. So bike 400 + upgrades 500 = 900. I’m having a hard time justifying a new bike from where I’m at right now, but toying with finding a well used P3 or P5 and stripping it down for custom paint then pulling over my upgrades to the “new” bike.

Here’s a pic of the 9.5 from my pre-race ritual bike wash and inspection last week.
Last edited by: mrfreeze: May 5, 21 18:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I see these questions, I think of the slowtwitch superbike shootout where the very best $15,000 bike bested an old Felt IA by perhaps 10 watts. That is not nothing, but it is not going to change your race results a bunch either.

To me the question is how much you like your present bike and how much you just want a new one. I've pretty much decided that I'll be riding my 2008 Cervelo P2C for races until I well... don't race anymore. I've optimized everything I can do on it so that I ride faster with fewer watts than I did when I raced a bunch in my 30s.

If I was you, I would at least Di2 your rear derailleur. Three months ago I tried Di2 on a bike for the first time and it is AMAZING. It takes any thought out of shifting and lets you just hammer. Even though my TT bike is my least used bike right now, I'm trying to figure out how to swap it to di2 for the rear derailleur. It does not have to cost a bunch.
1. Find the older two button shifters and buy one. I've seen them for $150 for a pair but not individual.
2. You need a battery and holder $100
3. Junction box A. $75 to $100
4. Two wires at $25 each. One from battery to junction box and from the Junction to RD.
5. Rear derailleur. I've seen a couple that are used for $75 to 125.
6. A charger for ? I don't remember how much I've seen these for recently.
So not cheap, but not $2000 either.
You can add the front at some future time and some would say Syncros and the FD is why you buy Di2, but to me it is the precise, perfect, I-never-have-to-think-about-it rear shifting that matters when I am tired and going hard. Being in the perfect gear all the time is going to benefit you more than many other changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Upgrade Project [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Canyon is actually what got me thinking along the lines of upgrading.

After considering the different responses I think I was probably thinking about it the wrong way, if I am going to upgrade groupset to Di2 and wheels, it doesn't make much sense. The most expensive upgrades Di2 and the wheels were probably the least likely to gain me 'time', and was more of something I 'want'.

The better questions probably would have been is if I stick with mechanical shifting, and my current race wheel set (tubular hed disc and tri spoke), but were to upgrade cockpit and add aerobrakes, what would be the difference between that and something like the Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc. Based on my reviews of previous threads I have a pretty good understanding of what the aero brakes would save, lets say a few watts, but am really unsure how much a difference the updated cockpit makes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you been to the Aeroweenie website? They have a calculator that takes into account all the various components of a triathlete's aero setup and outline your biggest costs. It's fun if nothing else: aeroweenie.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Upgrade Project [PattiPepper65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is great thank you, exactly the type of thing I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toying with upgrades for or completely upgrading my 9.5 again and found this thread. What did you decide to do Matt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattdespat wrote:
That is great thank you, exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

let's play low/high, to get you to the 'within 10w' range that an earlier poster mentioned:

from EBay or ST classifieds,
fast bar, Aeria stem and Aeria front end bottle = 500
Simkins brake = 50 (or omega, $150)
disk cover and fast 60-90 deep front: $400
No di

Done!
Quote Reply