Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Transport Companies to 70,3 WC in 2019?
Quote | Reply
When I registered for the 70.3 Worlds, I promised my wife we would go for a few days around Paris, Normandy, etc. after the race.

I don't want to travel by multiple planes and trains with the bike, not just because of the baggage fees, but because of the risk that transporting the bike so many times implies.

Another detail is, I have a Speedmax CF SLX, so I am limited in bike case options (Fits well in the Scicon Tri) without having to tear the bike apart.

I was checking a few bike companies that ship to France, but the prices are bigger ($600+ and above) than I expected.

So far, I checked:

*Ilovemybiketransport.com
*Tribiketransport
*Bikeflights (The rep was very helpful, and he said he always ships his bikes in cardboard boxes???)

Any other companies I am missing, or other transportation methods?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Companies to 70,3 WC in 2019? [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the past, my wife and I have left the bike in the hotel storage until we come back. If you are away for less than a week and come back and spend 1 or 2 nights back at the original hotel, they usually store it for free.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Companies to 70,3 WC in 2019? [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot. I don't think that's going to work, as we won't be doing other round trips besides US->FR->US.

The plan is to hop on trains and go from city to city, even other countries. Carrying the bike through all of that would be a major pain...

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Transport Companies to 70,3 WC in 2019? [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commandersnake wrote:
Thanks a lot. I don't think that's going to work, as we won't be doing other round trips besides US->FR->US.

The plan is to hop on trains and go from city to city, even other countries. Carrying the bike through all of that would be a major pain...

I’m trying to figure this out too. We plan to travel Europe after the race, and need to resolve the bike issue. Shipping options are really expensive and don’t want to drag a bike from city to city.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two possible solutions, one is to just leave the bike at home and rent one. The other is to sell the bike there when the race is over. Advertise it and have a buyer on the line for right after the race. I found that in a lot of foreign countries, my used bike was worth more than a new one cost back here at home. Not sure if that is still the case, but even if you broke even, you should save on shipping home and hassle...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I've noted on another thread with the same premise. Ship within Europe to your final destination. Find the hotel/UPS Store/whatever in the last place you'll be staying and ship from the race to there. I shipped my bike within Australia for no more then 80 AUS while the wife and I traveled for 2-3 weeks. This was by far the cheapest option but between status and the hen house my bike flies for free to from the race venue (continent).

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply