Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Training Plan
Quote | Reply
Some background:

Due to shoulder surgery I've not been able to swim and thus have lost a bit of the tri bug. So I decided to focus on running. I've been following a pre-set marathon training plan and my running has improved much more than I could have ever imagined. I ran a 1/2 marathon to get a gut-check on my training and knocked out a 1:41:35 (expected a 1:50 with a stretch goal of 1:45) and then I was out for my final 20mile long run before the Portland Marathon the weekend before last and I was knocking out 8:00-8:30 miles and felt that there was a lot of gas left in the tank. I was truly shocked as I thought my training paces had me lined up for just under 9:00/mi pace for my marathon.

Now I'm looking at developing my training plan for next season to include both swimming and cycling. I've got the swimming part nailed down to either 2 evening Master's workouts and a Friday morning technique/open water session. The running plan will be built off of two existing 1/2 marathon training plans I have already and now I need to build up a good cycling program/regimen.

Are there any templates out there I can look at to get a basic idea? I'm currently reading the Triathlete's Training Bible and Going Long and they are giving me good ideas of how to structure my aerobic/intensity work. I can easily nail down a weeks worth of workouts, but putting together a steady prep, base, build-up and then peak is where I'm failing.

Sorry for the rambling, but any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Training Plan [Simple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, interesting and complex question. My base building phase is basically 6 weeks under 150 bpm. Boring as hell. Build the mileage during the base and never go over your heart rate limit. I am kicking into base phase here shortly after just getting back into training. Right now all I am doing is riding- no plan or discipline whatsoever, just having fun. As long as I keep it short (under 50 miles) that works fine for me. The real work starts here in the week or so.... Long, tedious and boring.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply