Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Training
Quote | Reply
Hello, me am planning on taking a year break from Tri's, seem to be too stressfull on my body. My bike is my MAJOR weakness so I was thinking of a BIKE FOCUS year and maybe just swim and run once a week. Any thoughts???

Trevor
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Training [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a year seems like a long time. unless you are really burnt out from doing a lot of long distance and long hours of training. i'd start by determining why you have a weak bike. does the bike fit? are you strong enough? are you comfortable on the bike? have you put in enough hours on the bike? make sure you're not going harder/doing more of the run and swim because you're better at them (and that makes you feel good) and coming to the bike training too tired to perform well.

then look at ways to improve. get a good fit job, lift weights, take a spin class, slow down on the swim and run so you don't get too tired to bike well and probably the best thing is to join a bike club. go out with a group that you can hang with so you don't get dropped and the ride is enjoyable. as you get better just take more pulls at the front. maybe get a wind trainer and the spinervals time trial video as well.

also consider getting Friel's book and look at how he breaks down the aspects of cycling and determine you weakness from that and start working on it.

i think if you only run and swim once a week those disciplines will deteriorate (unless you have strong backgrounds in them) and then you will spend another year trying to catch them up. you can only bike so many hours a week so you have to make the workouts count.

also, if racing is 'stressing' you then you may want to examine why you are doing it, what you want to get out of it and what you should honestly expect from yourself (performance wise). then set your goals and work toward them and accept what fate deals you.

hope that helps