Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why?
Quote | Reply
Travelling to Coz again, and for every destination race i always wonder whether i should pack my bike shoes with carry on stuff or with regular luggage. What do you do and why?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My shoes get packed with my bike. If my bike doesn’t get there then my shoes don’t get there and I have all sorts of issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pack my shoes and pedals in carry on. In worst case scenario and you’re bike doesn’t make it, you could potentially rent bike, but you don’t want to worry about buying new shoes, pedals and cleats.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why? [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tripence wrote:
I pack my shoes and pedals in carry on. In worst case scenario and you’re bike doesn’t make it, you could potentially rent bike, but you don’t want to worry about buying new shoes, pedals and cleats.

X2
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
My shoes get packed with my bike. If my bike doesn’t get there then my shoes don’t get there and I have all sorts of issues.

I'll N+1 this, if my bike doesn't make it, I ain't racing.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your carry on. You can rent a bike, you can find some clothes (pack race suit too in bag) but to ride 56-112 miles in new shoes/pedals will not be pleasant and will crack you,,,,I have seen it happen, not pretty.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
tripence wrote:

X2

x3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pack mine wherever they will fit. Shoes aren't any good without a bike anyway.
Last edited by: jaretj: Nov 15, 18 4:14
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why? [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron snorks wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
tripence wrote:

X2

x3
x4

I carry my transition bag on the plane.... kit, helmet, shoes, wetsuit... etc. I've had checked luggage take days to get to me so having my race stuff there is insurance of sorts.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I pack mine wherever they will fit. Shoes aren't any good without a bike anyway.

Plus, shoes fit perfectly into all the nooks and crannies in a bike case!

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can slip my pump and helmet in there as well :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
x4

I carry my transition bag on the plane.... kit, helmet, shoes, wetsuit... etc. I've had checked luggage take days to get to me so having my race stuff there is insurance of sorts.

This is me as well, the whole transition bag with EVERYTHING I need for race day. Worst case, I can race in my stuff. Although, I understand there are new rules with regard to powder. This and the pedals always get second looks by TSA, so plan on having to essplain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to the race, shoes, pedals, running shoes, wetsuit/swimskin, goggles, helmet and race kit go in the carry on. Worst case you can rent a bike, should yours take the scenic route to your destination... On the way back, it all goes into the bike bag...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes - Carry on or checked luggage and why? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Going to the race, shoes, pedals, running shoes, wetsuit/swimskin, goggles, helmet and race kit go in the carry on. Worst case you can rent a bike, should yours take the scenic route to your destination... On the way back, it all goes into the bike bag...
this +1
Additionally, I have always had fun when returning home from a race, and packing my pee'd on shoes and tri shorts in my carry-on bag. So, when departing customs, and returning INS and CBP want to inspect my bag...well be my guest. Yes, the smell has been stout, and the inspector just passes my bag on thru...

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry on my shoes and pedals. At IM Austria my bike didn't arrive and had to rent a road bike. Would've been a hassle to find shoes, let alone deal with blisters/discomfort when you have to get a model you've never worn before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm flying somewhere to ride (race or cycling vacation), then it's going to be a pretty big deal for me. I'll carry the essentials with me (shoes, tri suit, some custom nutrition). I just don't want to deal with 'I've been training/looking forward to this for XX months and now I can't...'.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As other have written:

Going to race I carry-on shoes, pedals, helmet, suit, everything I can manage but especially the things I don’t want to lose.

Going home, I pack as much as possible in my bike box/check-in luggage because if it makes it home several days after me it’s not a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pack my bike shoes and pedals in my carry on. That way, if my bike doesn't make it, at least i could rent one and have my pedals and shoes. Basically, anything that goes on or in my body race day is in my carry on back pack.
Quote Reply