Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Rack - Yakima Anklebiter?
Quote | Reply
Looking at a new roof rack as the one I had been borrowing was recently re-claimed by the owner. Used the fork mounts before, but thinking it might be nice to put the whole bike up on the roof. Anyone have experience with the Yakima Anklebiter?

Open to other suggestions as well.

JA
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack - Yakima Anklebiter? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a lot of experience installing and selling racks. I hate the anklebiter, i dont consider it secure---look at a car with an anklebiter up there on the freeway and the bike is slanted at angle, i just dont like it. I much prefer the fork type setup. There are reasons for this, but the easiest to explain is that i think it looks cooler. If you want to put the entire bike up there, look at the newest in the yak line the King Cobra or the Cobra. Its a pretty sweet setup (as far as nonfork mount racks go) and can hold bike ranging from the new fisher mtn bike tires (like 28-29 inches or something crazy) down to a kids bike.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack - Yakima Anklebiter? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second that! I actually have owned both anklebiters and the locking fork mount styles and would not recommend the anklebiters. They're just not as secure in my mind or in my experience. The bike actually rocks back and forth a bit in the anklebiters, in addition to the basic lean the other poster mentioned. The fork mount, however, is rock solid.

As far as what looks cooler, I've got to go with the fork mount--looks more aero!!!
Quote Reply