Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Purchasing
Quote | Reply
I am going to be buying my first bike of any substantial value in the near future. I have started to narrow down my choices, but I have a question about actually buying the bike:

Does one bargain on bike prices as one would it they were buying a car? Or should one pay the advertised price of the bike and, perhaps, shop around for a good deal?

All this is assuming that one knows the make, model, and size of the bike they want.

And a few additional questions: If I am try to bargain the price of a bike, how much lower can I expect to pay (Based on a $2200 MSRP)? How low should I start the bargaining? How should I approach the retailer to get the best price?

Thanks for any input
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchasing [empty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, this would be a bad move, for the following reasons:

IN GENERAL, the profit margin on higher end bikes is really very low. This includes the work, fitting, build etc etc

Depending on your riding characteristics, this could change. For example, I am very very hard on wheels. Given the fact that I am 6'1.5" and weigh 195, I might want a "stouter" set of wheels (this is more money). Assuming I get to my fighting weight of 185 by season start,I am still not a Tiny Tim. What about you?

Are you only going to TT on this frame? You will want someone there to help with options in equipment and choices. You DO NOT want to bargain price this.

Are you going to return to this place?

Components.......this could be fun........

More info about what you plan to do and how you ride will be very helpful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"shop around for a good deal? "

When my wife bought her P2K we called seven or eight shops for their price. There was a difference of about $200. from the lowest to the highest price. We played them off against each other saying "shop B will sell for this price so what will you do". The shop we finally went with matched the lowest price but also thru in computer, pedals, wheel upgrade and a fitting. It paid of for them because we have since referred them five customers who also bought bikes at their shop.

We're not normally good at haggling over price and seldom do so, but the P2K was a fairly big ticket non essential item so we considered it appropriate. Since we live in a rural area none of the shops were really near us so the arguement about supporting your LBS was mute in our case. By haggling a bit we saved several hundred dollars by the time you work it all out.

They may not drop their base price much but ask about throwing in the extras like the computer, pedals, fitting, free servicing for a year, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Empty,

Yes, you can bargain for bike prices just like you can bargain for anything else, but you get what you pay for. With a high demand bike such as basically any tri bike I am selling at the MSRP and not a cent less (I own a bike shop that sells tri bikes). Then, I am returning to the customer a substantial amount of time and service, usually over 7 hours total per bike sale including assembly, fitting, etc. as well as a year of free labor.

Now, if you think you are "smart" or "thrifty", sure, someone will cut you a deal. They will sell you the bike for $200 less but will their level of competence be the same? Doubtful.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. No more. There are very few real "bargains".

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchasing [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you haggle for Milk and Gas? It is not worth my time to travel about and barter for $200.00 less cost on an item. I also would not expect the LBS to offer me any after the sale support at all if I was to cut into their profit margin. I for one do not think that it is proper to haggle with an LBS on anything - sure there is always "Colorado Cyclist" has it for blah blah dollars...then get it from them. I will GLADLY pay more at my local LBS (who never ever charges me full price for the few things I do pay retail price for).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchasing [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree completely. Happy New Year Record9ti.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchasing [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Holidays Tom

I put this question to you on emptyies behalf(I do not know Him)What is it that one should look for in a LBS? What are the little things that you would notice that would tell you the nLBS is reputable or not................Here is what happened to myself...Decided not to haggle. Told the local LBS that I was new and needed help and was looking for a long term relationship...Long Story short...With a bike that was kept spotless(always clean chain ect..)and 1500 miles I asked what I should have done for preventive maintainance for the next year. Was told to get New cassette, new chain, newchainrings, new Bottom bracket and possible headset. This is a klein with full ultegra and only 1500 miles. Fortunately I have been educated by others with more experiance since then and they saved me....So for someone like empty,what should He look for the hte long term approach........We have no other LBS's here so if I buy another bike...maybe I will get to meet you........Thanks agin for the Ultra info........Happy New Year Kenney
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchasing [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Record and Tom. Support your local LBS. Although I have gotten a steal on a Specialized Allez Comp on Ebay, and regularly buy my annual stock of tubes and tires from mail order, I do 95% of my business with my LBS. In the last year that has totaled almost $15k in bikes, parts, and service. Can I get things cheaper and faster mail order or Ebay? Heck yes. But if I and others did their business that way, we'd have no LBS to go to when we need that last minute service, part or tweak. And, even as skilled as I have become as a bike mech, I cannot replace the hands of someone who handles them day in and day out. For someone less well-versed in bikes, buying one without the expert guidance of a good LBS virtually guarantees less than optimal satisfaction. And as far as I'm concerned, getting fit for a specific bike at a shop and then mail ordering it just to save a few $$ is unethical and a form of stealing. That employee/owner was paid for the time they spent with the prospective buyer. It would be highly interesting to have figures on just how many LBS man-hours are virtually given to mail-order companies like Colorado Cyclist, Excel Sports, Nytro, etc. . .in this way. No wonder paid fittings are becoming more and more popular. At least then the LBS knows they are getting paid for their time.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchasing [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading your post i would like to make sure I am clear....I absolutely beleive in supporting your LBS. They provide knowledge and I beleive you need to pay for knowledge. They also support through $ the local events. There are good businesses out there and bad. Unfortunatly I found a bad.I am very fortunate I was able to find a local wrench. I was just asking Tom,what a Bike shop owner would look for in a shop He walked into..............By the way TriBriGuy your advice you gave me was very helpful(for Im CDa) Thanks Kenney
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchasing [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Record, TriBri and Tom, but also see Kenney's point. That has to be especially tough if you aren't lucky enough to live somewhere with (1) multiple choices in your LBS or (2) a decent LBS.

Kenney--Have you thought about going back to them and asking them (nicely of course) WHY THE HELL they suggested such major work/replacement on a bike that wasn't heavily used?

clm

Temporary sig: "Well-behaved women rarely make history."__Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchasing [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I did.........Well Ken.....well maybe ...........Ah yes.......I did not realize.....without looking more closely....Ah a chain and cassette is all you need. Unfortunately(And I truly mean that for Him and myself I have since found out that He has a rep of trying to guage. He will pay the consequenses in consciance if nothing else. Its just to bad that we do not have any other LBS anywhere near us. (Few hundred miles to Bozeman).I just have been in empties place and I know Tom loves to educate.

Temporary sig: "Well-behaved women rarely make history."__Laura Thatcher Ulrich

Oh My!!!! And your a Triathlete......Huba Huba Huba...I hope you make History!!!!!!!!

(All In good fun)

Happy Holidays Cathy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fisrt of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their input. The consensus seems to be to support the LBS. Shop around to find the right bike, but don't haggle over the price once you've found it.

How then, should I know what to look for in a good LBS? I live in Toronto, Canada and have no lack of LBSs around me, so how do I know who the punters are and who's reputable?

Happy New Year!

empty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Interesting, empty. I also live in Toronto and tried to ask basically the same question you're now asking (see http://www.slowtwitch.com/...search_string;#52249).

I ended up ordering a custom bike (Titanflex) and I'm still looking around for a LBS that I want to support. Send me an e-mail (robert.jackson@utoronto.ca) and I'll let you know where I'm at with the LBS's.

Rob
Last edited by: rjackson: Dec 31, 03 6:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it occurred to me this morning that none of us have mentioned calling Ves Mandaric at Yaqui. While I don't have any experience with him, by all accounts on this board, including Slowman, he can build you a perfect fitting bike via phone. And at your budget, I think you get one hell of a bike from him. Probably better than most other options at that price point.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I live in Toronto, Canada and have no lack of LBSs "

You got a great selection in Toronto. Consider yourself fortunate. I'll give two thumbs up to La Bicicletta on Castlefield. That's where my wife bought her P2K after our researching every Cervelo dealer in Onario. Ask for Heath Cockburn. He's sales manager and used to be sales manager for Cervelo. Good guy to deal with. Say hi to him from Greg and Stacey. Endurosport isn't bad either if you want a tri bike, but I'd stick with LaBicicletta for a medium or high road bike. They also gave us a better deal on a better spec'd P2K than Endurosport was willing to do.

Also if your not in a rush wait until the Toronto International Bike Show at the CNE during the last weekend of February. A lot of the dealers will be there with discounted 2003 stock. Sometimes you can get some great deals there.

Quote Reply