Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Mechanical/Tech Questions
Quote | Reply
I have a full Ultegra tri bike and a full Dura Ace Road bike. If I decide to use my road bike wheels for a ride on my Tri-Bike, do I need to switch cogsets, or will the Dura Ace Cogset work with Ultegra (and vice versa)?

I'm hoping to get some tubular race wheels asap, but there is a chance that I'll get the rear wheel first, leaving me with one tubular & one clincher; I may have to ride one race with that set-up. Of course I don't want to carry any more stuff than necessary and I've heard that if you get a flat in a race, you can put a tubular tire on a clincher rim to get by. Is this true? If so, is it a safe solution?

thanks for your help.

Barry K.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Mechanical/Tech Questions [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DURING A RACE THE TUBULAR IS EASIER TO CHANGE, MUCH QUICKER. YOUR REAR WHEELS WILL SWAP OUT WITH EACH OTHER.

MARK MILLER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubular on a clincher rim is really less than ideal. I would get a very simple tubular rim and a front hub and have it built up... I would not reccomend you do what you are thinking about... it could work but for safety reasons not a good idea...

The swapping the wheels thing should be OK... be sure to adjust the deraileur after swapping wheels... there can be a little bit of variation.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Mechanical/Tech Questions [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Taku. That's pretty much what I thought the answer would be, I didn't really plan to do it, but heard someone talking about it so I thought I'd explore it as an option. I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something in the meantime, if not, I can always just ride my clinchers for one more race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the ultegra and dura ace cassette can be interchanged with absolutly no problem.. (i assume they're both 9 spd). I personally would not race on one tubular and one clincher.. however, that being said, it totally depends on the distance in my opinion, if its a 20-30 k bike, you have to weigh the chances of getting a flat, and judge accordingly, but don't ride with a tubular on a clincher rim.. that wouldn't be to cool once you go around a corner (I personally could see either the tire just coming off the rim, and you crashing.. or the valve shearing off, and you flatting and then crashing..)

good luck

dave
Quote Reply