Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Geek's New "Retro" QR Redstone
Quote | Reply
To add to my collection of bikes (that I don't need)...it's hobby of mine. I was thrilled to find a guy selling new QR Redstones frames and forks on the net for $400. That's a pretty good deal for a frame and fork. Have not seen one of these in years, it's a very cool looking bike. Bought a 57cm instead of my normal 56 due to the shorter top tube length (after reading bike fit story on Slowtwitch this week).

Does anyone own one of these, if so what are your thoughts? I have enough parts to build it up except for cranks. Going to try the TruVativ cranks that Dan talked about earlier this year. Should have it built this weekend.

From the sounds of it, they had quite a few of these so if your a collector or interested in a retro tribike the website was www.bikefarmer.com. You have to dig into the site to find them. I think they are under the special/sale triathlon frames.

Happy training everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Geek's New "Retro" QR Redstone [trichatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Redstone was bike so advanced the general public wasn't ready for it. First off, the thing rode like a missle. I loved that bike. The 53cm fit me very well and it was stiff, stiff, stiff. I think the aerodynamics may have been pretty good. The original "redstone" color was cool and weird. That is the one to own. The rear brake always worked like pooh. There is an awesome photo of a red painted redstone in the October photo of the Inside Triathlon calender. That was an interesting bike. It is a nice piece of triathlon history.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Geek's New "Retro" QR Redstone [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info Tom. I've enjoyed your review of the PCs. I'm sold on the concept however I'm worried about the weight. I read somewhere that they are 4 pounds...ouch. I'd put them on a training bike but could not race with something that heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the Redstone legal for USCF time trials? For the price it would be a cool bike to build up for TT's etc.

Thining about getting one.

Thanks,

fal7
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Geek's New "Retro" QR Redstone [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the redstone 650 or 700c wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Geek's New "Retro" QR Redstone [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased the 650. Call about the 700s, Bill said he has a bunch of these frames. For the price you can beat it.

Happy Training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll ring him today. The wife will kill me when she gets back since I just got a new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Geek's New "Retro" QR Redstone [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No wife so I don't have that problem to worry about yet. I just bought a new bike last year but could not pass up the great deal for this bike. If anything else I can use it to decorate the walls...it could pass as art by some peoples standards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother just bought the redstone frame and gave my wife his QR frame. I love that frame he gave my wife it's a kilo from Dan's last year at QR. Not a scratch
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Geek's New "Retro" QR Redstone [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it the Black Easton Kilo? That's a great frame and a very generous brother.

Happy Training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made all of them, so it is somehow sentimental, when someone mentions Redstone.

On the other side, would you rather like to watch (now days) Veronica Zemanova or Brigitte Bardott?

I know which one I will.

Time passed, new things come.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for my first tri-bike, cost being a MAJOR issue (according to my wife). This frame looks like a steal, which would make her happy (relatively speaking). Is there anywhere I can find the geometry for it?

Thanks!

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Geek's New "Retro" QR Redstone [Dave in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it's a 78 degree bike. As for top tube length I would suggest calling Bike Farmer. www.bikefarmer.com. The also have other great deals on other QR Tri bike frames under specials section.

I sized up 1 size from my normal bike to match top tube lengths. Hope this helps.

Happy Training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bike farmer has some pretty good prices. i just put a bid in on a qr berrego. just what i need is another bike. all i have to do is find some info about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also been inspired to look at new frames from this post and I've got my eye on a QR Kilo. It's hard to beat for $350, but I have a few questions. Can anyone help me out here?

What is the wheelsize?

What framesize would you recommend for a 6' guy with a long torso and short legs (30-32in inseam)? It's hard to make a decision without getting to test them out firsthand. I know it's a hard question to ask without actually having exact measurements or getting "fitted," but it's part of the mystique of buying over the Internet.

Thanks
Quote Reply