Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike Fitter Profile on the front page
Quote | Reply
i just published a profile of jon blyer, who's on this forum, ACME bicycle co. in brooklyn. you should at least scan that even if you're not going to be getting a bike fit in brooklyn.

the reasons i want you to follow this series is:

1. very good chance i will profile a fitter close to you;
2. whether i do or don't, the point here is to empower YOU in how to know whether you're choosing a fitter who's worth your investment in time, money and trust.

i'll be doing 1 or 2 of these profiles every week, for quite awhile.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 18, 18 14:41
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fitter Profile on the front page [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, this looks like an interesting series. Will you be profiling any of the tri fitters in Portland, OR, or in the PNW? Debating whether to just jump on a plane for a fit this winter, a flight to LA is pretty inexpensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fitter Profile on the front page [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisrpdx wrote:
Thank you, this looks like an interesting series. Will you be profiling any of the tri fitters in Portland, OR, or in the PNW? Debating whether to just jump on a plane for a fit this winter, a flight to LA is pretty inexpensive.

i don't know who all i'll be profiling. or where. i'm sort of moving around virtually. we'll do dallas, los angeles, probably wash dc, atlanta, NC perhaps. chicago. michigan. by the time i'm done i hope to have much of the country covered, along with germany, some of micronesia, some latin america.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Superslice is a little more complicated than shown by the tables. The old vision armrests have a yz dependency. You would be in the widest position thus needing more pad spacers. The widest position is still a bit narrower than your usual.

(stem size is XxY - not angle)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, looking forward to the series and will stay tuned for someone near the Pacific north west. FYI you are missing the colon after https in your link too.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fitter Profile on the front page [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Superslice's arm pad spacers are vertical and not on an angle like the old vision bars.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fitter Profile on the front page [Jonathan Blyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just referring to the angle on the armrests - quite a big step in y between narrowest and widest positions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aaah, I see what you are talking about.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you guys see this? what jon and david are batting around? this is what good fitters know. and what your local fitter may or may not know. i have to go rattle trent nix's cage to get him to weigh in, because his profile will come up. he's another one. and, ian murray. no real mystery that these A+ fitters are those who you see from time to time on this forum.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good; I assumed you would hit Trent and glad you are. I’ve been to him several times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blake, Owner of Moxie in Scottsdale is solid.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to more in this series. You and I have the same fit coordinates, so it's great to know about all the bikes I ... can't afford... :(
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fitter Profile on the front page [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Looking forward to more in this series. You and I have the same fit coordinates, so it's great to know about all the bikes I ... can't afford... :(

any fitter who can give you that answer, that's a pretty good start. someone who knows that. because this is pretty basic to being a fitter these days. any fitter who can't give you that answer - what bikes match your fit coordinates - that's not a very prepared, equipped fitter. but let's take it one step further.

let's say you just go into your garden variety bike shop. "hey, bub, my pad y/x is 640mm x 505mm. what Felt IA will fit me? what would that front end look like in which size?"

why should that bike shop guy not be able to tell you the answer. if he doesn't know, what is it he should know? at what point does that not become mandatory knowledge of your LBS? same with road bikes. my hy/hx is 630mm x 500mm. what tarmac is that? what supersix evo is that?

or, here's my bike. i like my position. match this in a cervelo S3. what size, stem length, stem pitch, etc? why isn't this just knowledge that bike salesmen have? and if we expect it of salesmen, how can we not expect it of fitters?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great thanks! Been putting off a visit to Jonathan for a while now due to travel / scheduling but this has been a good reminder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
omg whenever I get a Cdale Slice with those Vision Trimax angled armpads I spiral into despair. Especially if athlete is complaing about LBP or shoulder pain or...anything. Seven times out of ten instances entire new basebar/armrests installed and problems are solved.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you guys see this? what jon and david are batting around? this is what good fitters know. and what your local fitter may or may not know. i have to go rattle trent nix's cage to get him to weigh in, because his profile will come up. he's another one. and, ian murray. no real mystery that these A+ fitters are those who you see from time to time on this forum.

Slowman, would you say Trent Nix is the closest A+ fitter to central Mississippi? Anyone closer you would recommend?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fitter Profile on the front page [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Slowman, would you say Trent Nix is the closest A+ fitter to central Mississippi? Anyone closer you would recommend?

i think i might find you someone good who's closer. let me think about it. btw, matt cole is good. in atlanta. but i might be able to locate someone closer to you who i like.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for PNW. I have been wanting to ask if there is a list here somewhere. I take it there is not?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fitter Profile on the front page [nicholasJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nicholasJ wrote:
Another vote for PNW. I have been wanting to ask if there is a list here somewhere. I take it there is not?

yes, there is a list. look at the blue navbar above, go to either BIKE FIT or LOCAL LISTING and select fitter's database. however, this series is designed to help you zero in on who among all the fitters on the dbase is prepared to give you the fit service you ought to get.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Philadelphia?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fitter Profile on the front page [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Philadelphia?

we'll get around to it!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
nicholasJ wrote:

yes, there is a list. look at the blue navbar above, go to either BIKE FIT or LOCAL LISTING and select fitter's database. however, this series is designed to help you zero in on who among all the fitters on the dbase is prepared to give you the fit service you ought to get.

Thank you Dan. All these years I have never click the local listing tab....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon said that the pad Y in the chart is based on the widest pad setting. So if you're going narrower a good rule of thumb is 5mm increase for each step inwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am interested in the Germany profiles. Also a note: it appears that some of the addresses in the European section are inaccurate or out of date. I note a couple that appear to be in the Netherlands but reference Germany, and also one that references both Greece and Italy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next