Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit Tomorrow - What Questions Should I Ask?
Quote | Reply
I'm getting my first bike fit since 2015 which is when I first bought a bike. I came from a marathon background into triathlon and I just let the fitter do his thing. I'm not entirely sure how effective that fit was (It was a full analysis type fit that took a bit over a hour with the whole video analysis, measuring angles, etc.) since I've found in the last 4 years that I can pretty much be comfortable in any position on the bike. For instance, my saddle is normally pretty high, but for one Oly I did this year, I didn't tighten that down enough, and I noticed only after the race that my saddle was completely lowered as far is it would go. Power numbers were oddly fine for the race, I felt OK, maybe it fell only in the last mile or so, who knows. Regardless I've played drastically with my position over the years and have not found one I can't hold for hours on end.

So anyways the main reason I'm even getting a fit is because I'm in the market for a new bike and if I'm going to spend a bunch of money, I want to be sure it will be perfect. I also want to get a bike that will allow me to maximize my aerodynamic position and power since I'm running under the assumption that I'll probably be comfortable with whatever he sets me up with once I buy the bike. Basically it's gotta be the frame that best fits my annoyingly rigid bones.

What I don't know would be the types of questions I should be asking my fitter. What does the ST community recommend?

EDIT: Oh, current bike is an aluminum road bike (Caad10) with a TT cockpit and fast forward seatpost. Frankenbike. Buying a "real" TT bike.
Last edited by: matate99: Jan 9, 20 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Tomorrow - What Questions Should I Ask? [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Tomorrow - What Questions Should I Ask? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had not, but just read it. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Most of that I knew, aside from asking where I differ from the norms. That I think would be really helpful to know just how things are different with me vs. others.

The one thing that I was confused about was this though:

Quote:
Any other data that is actionable. You own the data. It's your data.

Can somebody give me an example of "other" actionable data?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you record a 30 second video from front and side so I can post it on slowtwitch and they can tell me how bad this fit is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other actionable data would be any additional information or recommendations the fitter gives/makes to you during the fit process. This could include things like utilizing pedals with a wider stance width such as Speedplay with extended spindles or recommendations on helmets or clothing to optimize the aerodynamics of your position. basically anytime the fitter gives you information you deem valuable aks them to include that info in their final report.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first question before I even go over there is do you have an adjustable fit bike? One that can support a dynamic fit? One that changes crank lengths? One that can switch saddles fairly seamlessly? If no, then you are wasting your money most likely.

I would also ask for some referrals and/or testimonials from people you might know or have heard of..

Once in, if the fitter doesnt tell you why they are doing this or that, ask why. Most the time you will be able to tell if they know what they are talking about, or just making shit up. If they just tell you to trust them and it will all be fine without any explanation, then run!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd follow the previous advice especially if this is your first expensive tri bike. You really don't know how your fit is going to work out until you spend time on it in an actual race, especially if it's long course. Inevitably, you will want/need to make adjustments and having a bike that allows this will make it easier for you to fine tune your position. With so many good options out there, no reason not to.

add: I work with a good lbs who is also a great fitter. It's actually not so much about asking a bunch of questions as it is getting into a good aero position and having the ability to feel good in that position over the course of the race....time spent on your bike. That's where the benefits of having a bike that will provide adjustments will provide benefit.
Last edited by: griffin82: Jan 9, 20 15:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is my seat too high?
Quote Reply