Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit Critique
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster!
I was hoping someone could critique my bike fit. It has all been setup by myself as I never got the chance to get a proper fit done. With the current pandemic going on I don't want to put the people I live with at risk by going to a bike fitter (although I do intent to go once this is all cleared up). Any suggestions are helpful!

Some information:
pedaling at 190-205 watts (approx. race pace for a 70.3)
bike is a giant trinity advanced SL size M (I have all the nosecones to move the bars around)
I'm 183cm tall with a 32.5 inseam
165mm cranks

https://imgur.com/TGjNPVA

Thanks!
Last edited by: sbeauvais: Jun 8, 20 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique [sbeauvais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your saddle height?

What saddle are you on?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saddle height (from pedal): 91cm
saddle: Cobb jof55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your saddle height from the center of the bottom bracket?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saddle height from center of bb: 75cm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks solid to me. Can’t tell how narrow your frontal area is. But assuming you can hold this position comfortably for your target distance, I hope you’re not in my age group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Angles look good, and it looks like an aero, sustainable position for 70.3/140.6.

You could get lower up front by rotating your hips forward. Right now it looks like you are sitting on the nose of the saddle, but with only minor hip rotation. Your lower back is bending significantly to get your upper back flat (but high).

Hip rotation is a major change though (you need to adjust the front end so that it's even possible without moving back on the saddle), so I'd wait on that until you can consult with a fitter to see if you want to go that direction.

Hoff is a good example of being rolled forward. Look at the angle of his lumbar (~45deg.)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique [jessec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Angles look good, and it looks like an aero, sustainable position for 70.3/140.6.

You could get lower up front by rotating your hips forward. Right now it looks like you are sitting on the nose of the saddle, but with only minor hip rotation. Your lower back is bending significantly to get your upper back flat (but high).

Hip rotation is a major change though (you need to adjust the front end so that it's even possible without moving back on the saddle), so I'd wait on that until you can consult with a fitter to see if you want to go that direction.

Hoff is a good example of being rolled forward. Look at the angle of his lumbar (~45deg.)

Ok I'll try lowering the front and see how it goes. Unfortunately for me I have some scoliosis in my lowerback (hence why there is a funky back angel) but with proper stretching and strengthening I should be able to overcome it for the most part. Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The nice thing about having a smart trainer is it's easy to try out adjustments. If you do go lower, it typically has to be enough that you can rotate forward (and not have to just get there from bending your spine). In my case it was at 20mm below my previous position. It's also a but easier with flat aerobars (vs mantis) since you can slide forward on the pads to simulate greater extension without having to actually change the reach on the bike.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
The nice thing about having a smart trainer is it's easy to try out adjustments. If you do go lower, it typically has to be enough that you can rotate forward (and not have to just get there from bending your spine). In my case it was at 20mm below my previous position. It's also a but easier with flat aerobars (vs mantis) since you can slide forward on the pads to simulate greater extension without having to actually change the reach on the bike.

Yeah I lowered the front (I think 40mm) and went for a 2 hour ride. Felt more comfortable oddly enough and I spent about 1:30 in the aerobars! I definitely need to practice rolling my hips forward, but it was much more comfortable with the lower front end than before. Ill post a video later this week on the new position.
Last edited by: sbeauvais: Jun 11, 20 10:10
Quote Reply