Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit Critique/Help
Quote | Reply
Hi, im currently a college student who cannot afford a bike fitting near me. Am attempting my best self fit, and have seen many people get helpful insight from these forums. If anyone would be generous enough to help, that would be amazing. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique/Help [bikerunfun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first thing about a bike fit thread is how to take the video. Camera should be center of mass, about hip height. It helps to not have a backlit situation too, so take it at night if you were to take it from that same position.

We can't help you as well with the video you gave us.

Where are you located?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique/Help [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
first thing about a bike fit thread is how to take the video. Camera should be center of mass, about hip height. It helps to not have a backlit situation too, so take it at night if you were to take it from that same position.

We can't help you as well with the video you gave us.

Where are you located?

Yes I tried to get as close as I could in regards to hip height. Not easy in my dorm room. Im located in central IL currently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah that camera needs to come up and to to the left and then be rotated to be square to the bike

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, If i upload that later this evening will you be able to help some more?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sure

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I managed to stack a few textbooks and this is what I got. Thanks for your help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What saddle are you using?

Please take the reflectors off the wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not proficient enough to comment on that fit, but maybe (for video quality):

lose the baggy shirt
look forwards occasionally so we (I mean they) can see your head position

Also some vital stats data might be useful:
your height and weight
saddle height
saddle type
bar type
crank length
frame size
Current pad x/y (if you can find a tape measure)
Goals / race distance
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique/Help [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol got to laugh at the internet, a guy posts a vid asking for bike fit critique and gets told to loose bike reflectors and a baggy shirt 🙄
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique/Help [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Lol got to laugh at the internet, a guy posts a vid asking for bike fit critique and gets told to loose bike reflectors and a baggy shirt 🙄

Haha. If I haven’t already stated I’m uneducated I’ll state it again. Sorry I didn’t have the reflectors removed as soon as I picked this bike up as a hand me down, and I’m sorry that my shirt was too baggy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikerunfun wrote:
dunno wrote:

Haha. If I haven’t already stated I’m uneducated I’ll state it again. Sorry I didn’t have the reflectors removed as soon as I picked this bike up as a hand me down, and I’m sorry that my shirt was too baggy.

Also don’t forget to put helium in the tubes-makes your bike lighter and 15% faster 😜
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
the shirt comment was so his torso position can be observed more easily
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique/Help [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
dunno wrote:

A baggy shirt or a tight shirt doesn’t stop you from seeing the angle and alignment of his back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikerunfun wrote:
I managed to stack a few textbooks and this is what I got. Thanks for your help.

Looks solid. Only thing I'd certainly recommend you do is I'd move the extensions forward relative to the pad.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
MattyK wrote:
dunno wrote:

A baggy shirt or a tight shirt doesn’t stop you from seeing the angle and alignment of his back.
Hard to tell how open or closed the hips are with a baggy shirt. It was a good recommendation and will likely improve the feedback he'll get.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Critique/Help [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Hard to tell how open or closed the hips are with a baggy shirt. It was a good recommendation and will likely improve the feedback he'll get.

How does the position of your belly affect how open your hips are? I can understand the angle between your back but below that (being your belly) doesn’t affect the angle. It’s like saying my hip angle changes by pushing my belly out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
trentnix wrote:

How does the position of your belly affect how open your hips are? I can understand the angle between your back but below that (being your belly) doesn’t affect the angle. It’s like saying my hip angle changes by pushing my belly out?
It affects how much angle you need. Structurally, yes, the angle from the head of the acromion to the top of the femur to the knee joint is the same, but how much actual clearance you have is not.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
dunno wrote:
trentnix wrote:

It affects how much angle you need. Structurally, yes, the angle from the head of the acromion to the top of the femur to the knee joint is the same, but how much actual clearance you have is not.

I will have a better video tomorrow with a better shirt on and the reflectors taken off. HA. Thank you guys for the criticism, you must learn somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
dunno wrote:
trentnix wrote:

Here is the new updated video. Tight shirt, along with the reflectors removed to keep the people happy. Thank you in advance for the help.
I'm 5'11, 171 lbs, 21 years old (today is my birthday, this bike was a gift), 56 frame, 32.5" inseam.
Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
sure

Updated vid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The extensions need to be moved all the way forward (but preserve the current armpad position). That means you need to loosen the armpad mount, loosen the extension mount (to the base bar), push the extension mount as far as you can (with about 1 cm or so sticking out of the back), and then move the armpad to the same position relative to the saddle.

That should give you a longer distance from the edge of the armpad to the end of the extension. Your arms should be then a bit more forward on the armpad, extending your reach.

Once you do that, I'd angle the extensions up a couple of degrees. That should get you pretty close.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am happy.
Quote Reply