Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit/Aero Critique
Quote | Reply
Seen enough of these posts to realize the incredible value the collective ST critique can yield. Figured I would throw my hat in the ring. Thanks in advance - do your worst! Low resistance until the zwift bing (then 80% FTP). As I recall helmets are helpful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4hyZj9kmPg

I am super comfortable here. Tend to get some knee pain if I raise the saddle further, and am a little less comfortable with more reach, but if it is much better I am open to experiment.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit/Aero Critique [rdubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could move the arm pads out 2cm.
Not sure that is the right helmet for you.
Crank arm length?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't quite tell from the video but is your upper body rocking back and forth or is that something else happening? It looks like you may be rocking a bit at the hips to compensate for a slightly high saddle but a little tough to tell. Also I would imagine you'd feel a bit more comfortable in you really got your elbows on the pads instead of having them forward. That would indicate to me that you actually want more reach but are limited with your current pad position and/or extension length.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit/Aero Critique [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
165mm cranks. I’m 5’6.5’ with 30.5 inseam and long shins. on a size 51.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit/Aero Critique [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, I don’t feel much rocking but I think this is a bit of a lower cadence higher torque then I would do on the road. Always seem to do that indoors. This is about max reach with the stock felt bars, which are known to be short for many. I’m on the dagger 110mm stem with pads in the lowest position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that your normal cadence?

Seems very slow

Can’t tell from the video
Does your left knee come out a lot?

Right knee?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit/Aero Critique [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a slow cadence, not sure why I did that today. I am a bit slower than most but usually in the 80s. Left knee does have some old issues stemming from an injury. Insoles and a wedge at the cleat have been helpful. Right knee is bulletproof. Impressed you saw that from the video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know about aero so keep that in mind

To me that helmet looks like it was custom made for you. As long as you keep that last position all the time

Maybe put a magnet in the tail of the helmet and your shirt to keep them in contact?

And your body/head looks very aero to me
Last edited by: MrTri123: Aug 24, 19 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helmet and head position look really good. You might try some more rise of the hands and a touch more reach to reduce the air flow hitting you crotch area. Raising the hands also generally helps you find a comfortable position that is narrower and at this point looking at anything that makes your shoulders narrower is the only real area you can improve upon.

Your jersey is about 3 sizes too large. Please don't tell me you would ever race in something so floppy.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit/Aero Critique [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that one is a 'comfort fit,' at this point... fair enough.

I found ~1.5cm reach and a bit of tilt. not sure I like it, but could get used to it.

But to your point, here is one in my current tri suit, and a shot from the front.

https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=LwNDg3V9QM4&

https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=r7cL8Chp0jY&

Front video is neutral hold for the first half, and then about 1/2 though with a turtle. Certainly couldn't hold this forever, but its not too strenuous.
Last edited by: rdubs: Aug 24, 19 18:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look pretty good. Maybe narrowing the elbow pads would help, but you really need to be careful about losing power and comfort.

The one thing you might try is a higher hand position. This is an old thread that contains all sort of good informaton and discussion

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...gh_Hands_P6808938-7/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your pad x/y out of curiosity? I’m almost the exact same height and leg length as you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rdubs wrote:
Seen enough of these posts to realize the incredible value the collective ST critique can yield. Figured I would throw my hat in the ring. Thanks in advance - do your worst! Low resistance until the zwift bing (then 80% FTP). As I recall helmets are helpful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4hyZj9kmPg

I am super comfortable here. Tend to get some knee pain if I raise the saddle further, and am a little less comfortable with more reach, but if it is much better I am open to experiment.
Saddle is a touch too low I think - raise 5-10 mm. Extensions need to be longer and your elbows need to move forward about 2 cm relative to the pads.

Then I'd bring everything - extensions, pads, and saddle - forward about 2 cm. Doing that might require a little more saddle height, but I'd want to see first.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Aug 24, 19 23:05
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit/Aero Critique [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 In the second video group, I should be at about 460X/560Y.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit/Aero Critique [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much Trent.

I believe this is your recommended changes within limitations of current hardware interference:
https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=CxaZ75MNBWc&

I believe this is maybe Net ~20-25 mm ski extension, +15 pad extension, saddle up 7mm, saddle forward 15 mm.

Changes I did:
Realized could put pad clamps ahead of basebar clamp., So I did that, pushed skis to max extension.
Pads using using max extension config (forward two holes). In the end I think this is maximum possible ski reach distance and maximum pad-to-ski-tip distance with current hardware (via pad-forward orientation).

In this clip I started into the most natural drop in position, at ~12 sec I try to simulate longer poles and pad right under elbow, at 37 seconds I go to a weird position simulating the original layback(ignore), then go back to "natural.'

How it feels: I actually prefer the elbow pads a bit further on my forearm than on elbow. Feels a lot more solid and relaxed then teetering right on epicondyle, and I feel well supported if i let just the tip of my elbow dangle, I don't feel under supported at all with it just a bit up my forearm. I am equivocal with any extra hand extension at the point by how it feel, so could do that if you think it would be better, but def need longer extensions for any more length. Feel significantly more weight on shoulders and I don't know if I could do any more pad reach without making my neck and shoulders work a lot more. Saddle feels pretty great less pressure. Feels like i'm launching a bit forward out of the saddle but the armrest tilt helps brace against that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raise the saddle another 5 mm.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drop your heels a bit and move the saddle 5 mm forward and I think you’ve got it.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a ton man! 5 forward and heel drops as requested.

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

It feels a little reachy but doable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rdubs wrote:
Thanks a ton man! 5 forward and heel drops as requested.

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

It feels a little reachy but doable.
it might be. It’s hard to tell. Drop it 5 and if that feels better, go with it.

Looks good overall.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply