Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Crash Replacement Build - Cheapest Aero Solution w/ Di2
Quote | Reply
Hi ST community. I crashed and destroyed my beloved 2015 Cervelo P3 in a October HIM race. Our family's on a single salary at the moment so I'm trying to replace my bike with the fastest but cheapest solution. Shooting for a 70.3 worlds slot this year and 140.6 PR, so every second counts. In an ideal world I want A.) integrated brakes, B.) upgrade to Di2 electronic shifting, and 3.) I DO NOT WANT disc brakes.

The P3 3op tube is cracked in two places and I want a new bike; I don't want carbon repair. I also hated the Magura hydralic brakes. They worked great, but the pistons went and I had to use rubber bands so they'd open and close properly the last year. I really want integrated brakes. With this whole wish list I was leaning toward Trek Speed Concept but w/ Di2 out the door it's around $6100 bucks. Way out of my price range.

So what I'm thinking is this... I can get a brand new 2019 P3 replacement frame for 1800 bucks. I take all my components (seat, cockpit, Ultegra) from the 2015 bike and have my LBS Shop transfer it to the new frame (I don't have the skill or patience to do it myself). And I purchase a Di2 11-speed upgrade kit for $800. For an integrated brake solution I have an Omega Tri Rig brake put on ($180 bucks). And I throw on my Hed Disc, Jet 60 front wheel that I just bought last Spring. Paying my LBS cash to swap over everything and set-up my new P3 with old fit coordinates I'm looking at roughly $3400 in change.

Am I missing anything? I'm thinking this is the fastest, cheapest solution for my situation. Any feedback welcome. Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Crash Replacement Build - Cheapest Aero Solution w/ Di2 [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add but is that the retail price you are getting quoted for a new p3 rim frame?

Basically cervelo is getting out of the rim brake business across the board.

P2 and P3 rim brake options are now discounted until stock runs out.

I would go to a cervelo lbs and show them your frame and ask them to ask the rep to see if there’s anything they can do to wiggle a bit, re crash replacement.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Crash Replacement Build - Cheapest Aero Solution w/ Di2 [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you check any components you are swapping over (specifically cockpit, brake levers, etc) really well for damage. cracks can form below the clear coat and be difficult to notice.

I would also look at the used market. $3500 can get you a nicely equipped bike with di2/etap these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with just checking used for a whole bike. Or you could for sure scrounge together a used di2 kit for less, depending on what generation/what parts you want. I built a fully functioning 6870/9070 mixed group for $350 about 6 months ago with everything but di2 brake levers. You've got a few months till race season most likely so the more patient you can be with used gear, the better you're going to do for your money.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You outlined pretty much a 100% replacement-- the value of the core parts to transfer from the old bike to the new bike is close to $0. (I think of aero wheels as an independent upgrade component.)

What others said... if you are looking for cheapest Di2, then shop used. There are two craigslist sellers in my area with great Di2 TT bikes under $3K. It would cost you a lot more than that to selectively piece together frame and Di2 bits. If you expand to eBay, then you should be able to score value and performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Crash Replacement Build - Cheapest Aero Solution w/ Di2 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Nothing to add but is that the retail price you are getting quoted for a new p3 rim frame?

Basically cervelo is getting out of the rim brake business across the board.

P2 and P3 rim brake options are now discounted until stock runs out.

I would go to a cervelo lbs and show them your frame and ask them to ask the rep to see if there’s anything they can do to wiggle a bit, re crash replacement.

Maurice

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to ask, for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Crash Replacement Build - Cheapest Aero Solution w/ Di2 [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rlh212 wrote:
I would also look at the used market. $3500 can get you a nicely equipped bike with di2/etap these days.

Sorry, I should've put in my initial post that I'm not interested in a used frame. I want new frame only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Di2 won't make you any faster so if you are truly interested in budget aero you'd scratch that off your list.

That crash replacement cost you are being quoted sounds a little high. Also, I think you think you want integrated brakes but they are not THAT much faster, generally, and a LOT more trouble.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jan 21, 20 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Crash Replacement Build - Cheapest Aero Solution w/ Di2 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
You outlined pretty much a 100% replacement-- the value of the core parts to transfer from the old bike to the new bike is close to $0. (I think of aero wheels as an independent upgrade component.)

I think the value of the transfer parts is very low, but not zero. The seat, profie design cockpit (has aftermarket Speed 51 cups) and the ultegra core components (which can be upgraded to Di2 for 800 upgrade kit vs. 1200 for full component package) so maybe 600 to 700 bucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bobby, You know that you could do pretty much what I did when I cracked my cervelo frame and built up my 2019 P3...swap what you can, forget about integrated brakes, add DI2, get a new crash replacement frame for as cheap as possible.

Add trig front brake, consider tririg cockpit and you are set.

Disc cover is cheap for the rear wheel and I’ll lend you my 404 or 808 Zipp front wheel for any race.

You’ll have to put the box in a top tube bento if you get the tririg cockpit. They haven’t figured out the space requirement yet...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Crash Replacement Build - Cheapest Aero Solution w/ Di2 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Well, Di2 won't make you any faster so if you are truly interested in budget aero you'd scratch that off your list.

That crash replacement cost you are being quoted sounds a little high. Also, I think you think you want integrated brakes but they are not THAT much faster, generally, and a LOT more trouble.

I agree from an aero perspective the Di2 won't make me faster, but from surveying several riders with Di2 they all agree it's a more pleasant ride in general. Smoother shifting allows for a smoother consistence cadence, and less reaching forward and across to shift on climbs, all these factors add up over an Ironman Bike to save mental energy, I'm betting.

Regarding brakes, from what I've read on this site a truly integrated/ invisible-to-the-wind brake (like Speed Concept) will save 8 seconds per 40k and the Tri Rig Omega Brakes will save 5 to 6 seconds per 40k. Seeing as I had the Magura Hydralic breaks, with rubber bands bunched around the piston arms, I may save a smidge more time. But regardless, the Tri Rig Omega brake seems like a very cost effective solution over buying an Uber-bike with brakes integrated into the frame. And if I miss a PR or 70.3 Worlds Spot cause of :02 seconds per 40k (4.5 seconds) so be it I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Crash Replacement Build - Cheapest Aero Solution w/ Di2 [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Bobby, You know that you could do pretty much what I did when I cracked my cervelo frame and built up my 2019 P3...swap what you can, forget about integrated brakes, add DI2, get a new crash replacement frame for as cheap as possible.

Add trig front brake, consider tririg cockpit and you are set.

Disc cover is cheap for the rear wheel and I’ll lend you my 404 or 808 Zipp front wheel for any race.

You’ll have to put the box in a top tube bento if you get the tririg cockpit. They haven’t figured out the space requirement yet...

Hi Dale :) I'm waiting to hear back from my LBS on the price of a crash replacement P3 frame. As for the cockpit, upon visual inspection the 3T Aura Pro bar that came stock on my P3 looks OK. I've seen a bunch of P3's with this bar for sale from Cervelo so they must've figured out somewhere to put the Di2 box. If it is the bento box, that'll be fine. And I don't need new wheels. My LBS trued my HED Disc wheel and it's good to go!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
From surveying several riders with Di2 they all agree it's a more pleasant ride in general. Smoother shifting allows for a smoother consistence cadence, and less reaching forward and across to shift on climbs, all these factors add up over an Ironman Bike to save mental energy, I'm betting.
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. I believe that Di2 makes me faster because it makes me more efficient. I shift a lot more frequently with Di2, so I am always riding in my most comfortable cadence. I feel more efficient and effective than when I used to hang on to sub-optimized gears longer with mechanical. That, and shifts are way faster with Di2, so I lose less of the pedal cycle to the shift.
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I think the value of the transfer parts is very low, but not zero.
Realistically, the only parts you would transfer are the seat, cockpit and crankset. (I think of the cassette as part of the wheels.)

These are the parts you will have to acquire for the frame build...
  • Brakes (front Alpha X, rear whatever)
  • Di2 kit (this will likely be a lot more than $1K if you are getting R8000 Ultegra. You may be able to find prior gen under $1K, but that could take some searching and waiting.)
  • Chain
  • Crankset - maybe... You can reuse the crankset if it is easily compatible with your new frame, but maybe not. If you have that FSA BBRight crankset, that wouldn't work with a bike that needs a 24mm spindle. And, I am not a big fan of the FSA Gossamer cranks anyway... I would ditch that for a 105 or Ultegra crank.

Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 22, 20 11:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you finally get any resolution on this?

I am interested in your damaged frame if you are looking to offload it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Crash Replacement Build - Cheapest Aero Solution w/ Di2 [Vigilante] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vigilante wrote:
Did you finally get any resolution on this?

I am interested in your damaged frame if you are looking to offload it.

I'm actually pulling the trigger this week on a new steed, probably in the next 3 days -- without a crash replacement credit. There are 2 cracks in the the top tube, and the Pro Aura basebar has a crack in the corner -- I can send pics.

I was going to use it as a trainer bike, but I guess if the price is right I'd be willing to sell it. Of course, I'd want assurance you'd do the right thing and the bike would be properly prepared by a qualified carbon repair shop and sold with full transparency...? I did watch the GCN special on carbon repaired frames ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7e004bfHyY ) and it was convincing that a frame can be properly repaired. I must say though, your username is a bit intimidating. And personally, I wouldn't want to ride a carbon repaired frame, or really I want an excuse to get a new bike ;-). From dealing with the aerospace industry I know they do carbon repair on airplane wings, so there is a trusted science IF done properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am actually hoping you are the same size as me. I was hoping your old bike can be the new to me bike to upgrade my 20+ year old Easton.

In full transparency, I have some done some fiberglass work on boats and was planning on doing the repair myself. I would not be trying to pass this off as a professional repair and reselling. I am just a poor person trying to upgrade on a very tight budget.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Crash Replacement Build - Cheapest Aero Solution w/ Di2 [Vigilante] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotcha. I'm size 54. If that's your size PM me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM sent
Quote Reply